U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-05-2013, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
20,332 posts, read 10,464,266 times
Reputation: 7964

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Hanukkah is a very minor Jewish holiday and mostly prompt for PC reasons. Same thing with Kwanzaa, which was created for "feel good".

It would be amazing if we celebrated each others holidays with no chip in the shoulder. I have no issues in celebrating Jewish holidays if I am around Jews.
Who cares if it is a minor holiday, or a created holiday, or what ever holiday. People celebrate those holidays too, to those people they are important. Why should YOUR holiday take the entire month of December? Heck, I was seeing Christmas commercials on TV, and christmas stuff on the shelves BEFORE Halloween. Please try to control YOUR holiday, it is eating up several months worth of holidays.

 
Old 12-05-2013, 07:30 PM
 
9,877 posts, read 6,750,565 times
Reputation: 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Who cares if it is a minor holiday, or a created holiday, or what ever holiday. People celebrate those holidays too, to those people they are important. Why should YOUR holiday take the entire month of December? Heck, I was seeing Christmas commercials on TV, and christmas stuff on the shelves BEFORE Halloween. Please try to control YOUR holiday, it is eating up several months worth of holidays.
For the love of God. Xmas is 99% a secular holiday. Why are you so upset about a holiday that is 99% secular. I once worked in a Jewish office and they threw the best Xmas parties ever. I don't get the PC stuff.

Last edited by Julian658; 12-05-2013 at 08:52 PM..
 
Old 12-05-2013, 07:38 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,811,608 times
Reputation: 16147
So being inclusive and polite is just being PC? Here I was thinking it was just being nice.
 
Old 12-05-2013, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
20,332 posts, read 10,464,266 times
Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
For the love go God. Xmas is 99% a secular holiday. Why are you so upset about a holiday that is 99% secular. I once worked in a Jewish office and they threw the best Xmas parties ever. I don't get the PC stuff.
Have you actually read the 3 threads about the "war on christmas"? I have been told that saying "happy holidays" is not good enough, and that I am being passive aggressive for wishing others a happy holiday, simply because I didn't use the words that someone else wants me to use. So who is being PC? Me for saying what ever I feel like saying, or those that are trying to make me say what they want me to say?

I'm sorry, but when pushed, and pushed, I will strike out at who is pushing. So, maybe if "Christians" would stop trying to control how I celebrate, and what I say, I would lay off. Until then, I have a new mission. I will absolutely refuse to say Merry Christmas unless it is Christmas day December 25th.
 
Old 12-05-2013, 08:59 PM
 
9,877 posts, read 6,750,565 times
Reputation: 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Have you actually read the 3 threads about the "war on christmas"? I have been told that saying "happy holidays" is not good enough, and that I am being passive aggressive for wishing others a happy holiday, simply because I didn't use the words that someone else wants me to use. So who is being PC? Me for saying what ever I feel like saying, or those that are trying to make me say what they want me to say?

I'm sorry, but when pushed, and pushed, I will strike out at who is pushing. So, maybe if "Christians" would stop trying to control how I celebrate, and what I say, I would lay off. Until then, I have a new mission. I will absolutely refuse to say Merry Christmas unless it is Christmas day December 25th.
Dude:

Perhaps Jesus never existed and there is no God. Wy are you so afraid of saying Merry Christmas?

I think you just don't like it. Just say Bah Humbug, that is more original.

The secret to being a happy atheist is to accept all these holidays as secular. Don't let this stuff get to you. And it is naive to assume Christmas is just one day. You know quite well Christmas is a season and it keeps getting longer for commercial reasons. I know plenty of atheists that have a great time during the holidays. The CEO of my company is an atheist and he puts on a great Xmas party. What is the big deal? Xmas is secular and Jesus was not born on the 25th.
 
Old 12-05-2013, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,895 posts, read 31,793,503 times
Reputation: 12640
I absolutely hate the commercialization of Christmas...I wish there was somewhere I could go to escape that part of it....Nowadays it's all about greed and profit....
 
Old 12-05-2013, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
20,332 posts, read 10,464,266 times
Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Dude:

Perhaps Jesus never existed and there is no God. Wy are you so afraid of saying Merry Christmas?

I think you just don't like it. Just say Bah Humbug, that is more original.

The secret to being a happy atheist is to accept all these holidays as secular. Don't let this stuff get to you. And it is naive to assume Christmas is just one day. You know quite well Christmas is a season and it keeps getting longer for commercial reasons. I know plenty of atheists that have a great time during the holidays. The CEO of my company is an atheist and he puts on a great Xmas party. What is the big deal? Xmas is secular and Jesus was not born on the 25th.
Why does it matter if I say merry Christmas, or happy holidays? Is it offensive if I wish you a Happy Holiday? Do you not realize that Happy = Merry, and Christmas is a holiday? So in effect I am saying the same thing. Really YOU are the one making a big deal of it. Why does it bother you if I wish you a happy holiday?

I normally don't make any issue of it, but since so many are trying to tell me what I HAVE to say in greeting, I will reserve Merry Christmas for Christmas day, and not half of November and all of December.
 
Old 12-05-2013, 11:33 PM
 
Location: WA
4,246 posts, read 7,845,224 times
Reputation: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB8 View Post
Christmas is a national holiday, so why don't you wish people by the name of the holiday?

"Happy Holidays" - What holiday are you referring to?
Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years are all National Holidays that occur in the same season.

I usually assume "Happy Holidays" means have a nice Whatever Religious Holiday You Celebrate and a Happy New Years.
 
Old 12-06-2013, 01:49 AM
 
12,540 posts, read 12,543,523 times
Reputation: 28901
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB8 View Post
I only see Christmas being a national holiday on the list in December.

Why in fear of wishing people a Merry Christmas in/near Christmas Eve/Day?
What does it being a national holiday have to do with it? There are plenty of holidays that are not national holidays that we wish people a happy day for. By your logic, if we only go by national holidays, we shouldn't bother wishing believers a happy Easter then because Easter isn't a national holiday.
 
Old 12-06-2013, 04:31 AM
 
583 posts, read 1,491,688 times
Reputation: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB8 View Post
I only see Christmas being a national holiday on the list in December.

Why in fear of wishing people a Merry Christmas in/near Christmas Eve/Day?
as not to offend some one who has a religious day in this month dec 25 is also used be non christians too it was their day befor the early church stole it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top