Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 04:53 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,325,077 times

Advertisements

Happy Summer Solstice from Down Under.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:58 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Happy Summer Solstice from Down Under.
Ah . . . it is your antipodal wit that accounts for your entertaining posts! j/k Happy whatever you celebrate, Jay!!

Old 12-15-2013, 01:02 PM

50,055 posts, read 63,405,659 times
When I say Happy Holidays, I mean Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, not happy whatever other holiday other people celebrate.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:57 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
When I say Happy Holidays, I mean Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, not happy whatever other holiday other people celebrate.
Well wishes are supposed to be targeted for people OTHER than yourself. You are celebrating Christmas and New Year so it is reasonable to expect others to wish YOU Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. But if someone else is NOT celebrating them . . . it makes little sense to say so to THEM.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:07 PM

24,261 posts, read 14,123,899 times
Quote:
Do you greet people with "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays?" An Arizona woman, who’s also a bell ringer for the Salvation Army, says she was assaulted for choosing the wrong one.

Kristina Vindiola says a woman hit her outside a Phoenix Walmart after she said "Happy Holidays."

"The lady looked at me,” said Vindiola. “I thought she was going to put money in the kettle. She came up to me and said, 'Do you believe in God?' And she says, ‘You're supposed to say Merry Christmas,' and that's when she hit me."
7NEWS - Salvation Army Red Kettle bell-ringer assaulted for saying 'Happy Holidays' - U.S. & World Story

Seems some people can't just let others wish them well.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:12 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,080,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why do some people try to twist a simple greeting into some huge deal?
I don't think it was started with 'Happy Holidays'. That term in itself is generic and all-encompassing for many different faiths and traditions. However, I can understand why many people got offended when white liberal apologists started referring to the 'Holiday Tree'. To me, that is just as offensive as calling a Menorah a "Holiday Candle Holder".

Old 12-16-2013, 01:42 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,344,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I have not tolerance for intolerance. So tolerate that!
I think what would bother me in conversations of this sort is that the kinds of things people want us to tolerate are things that should not be. Ideas and concepts are not to be "tolerated". We should respect people, not ideas.

Ideas should constantly and consistently be unpacked, evaluated, tested and more. We should not tolerate or respect them. Rather they should be constantly and consistently reviewed like Internet Data packets through a Firewall.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:06 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,104,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I say Merry Christmas because it is the main celebration of the season. The Happy Holidays thing is just too PC for me. If there is a Jewish Holidays I say happy Jewish Holiday. And if I meet some black people doing Kwanza I say Happy Kwanza. When In Rome do as the Romans.
Happy Holidays long pre-dates PC. I can recall seeing in on cards and hearing it half a century ago, or more. I have always assumed that since the usual greeting used to be "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" that it simply got condensed into "Happy Holidays."

I think when secularization became more widespread, and other religions achieved a higher profile in the U.S. that the old "Happy Holidays" got some new interpretations.

I've been hearing "Happy Holidays" for so many decades that it is a total non-problem.

At my last job we always had a "holiday" party for the staff. Most of the staff were Jews, the rest Christians, Buddhists, Hindus and atheists. The nod to religion was in the food: there was a table of kosher food, and another larger table of non-kosher.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:04 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,004,591 times
Quote:
I would like to know this too.

BTW, I'm a her.
Oops. Sorry about that.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:10 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,155,680 times
Quote:
No the issue for me is that some "Christians" have a holy cow when you say happy holidays instead of merry christmas. I celebrate christamas without any of the religious trappings. I had me tree up on Thanksgiving. I say happy holidays and merry christmas depending on which pops into my mind first. Why should I be intimidated to say merry christmas to people from Thanksgiving until christmas day? The entire month of December, and half of November, is not christmas. It is the holiday season. And I honestly, don't know anyone that doesn't celebrate christmas, most of us just don't do the religious parts.
Thank you, JJ.

And Season's Greetings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism