Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:22 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,292,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Actually, Julian 658, it isn't. Fact: Christmas isn't the only holiday celebration that takes place on December 25th. Another fact: December 25th isn't the only date for the celebration of Christ's birth.

By the way, when I'm "being PC", I'm "being Personally Courteous." Perhaps you might give it a try.

Interesting that you should put it just that way. The current Christmas holiday was started in the fourth century AD by Pope Julius I, the Bishop of Rome. While the exact date of Christ's birth is unknown, Biblical scholars generally agree that it was in the Spring rather than the dead of Winter. Pope Julius I chose December 25th as the date to celebrate Christ's birth in an effort to co-opt three concurrent Roman pagan celebrations -- Saturnalia, Juvenalia, and the birthday of Mithra, the God of the Unconquerable Sun.

So, to "do as the Romans" makes December 25th a very crowded holiday. Perhaps that's why the Eastern Orthodox folks, and others, celebrate Christ's birth at Epiphany -- January 6th.

Broadening our scope a bit, the Winter Solstice takes place around December 21st, and it is celebrated all around the world. These celebrations have been around for far longer than Christianity. Many of our so-called "Christmas traditions" have been drawn - some might say stolen - from these celebrations. Included are decorating the home with lights and greenery (a strong and thoroughly-documented case can be made that the "Christmas Tree" is in fact a pagan tradition), the "Yule Log" and many MANY more.

I'm not trying to denigrate Christmas -- far from it. I've celebrated the Christian Christmas each year beginning with my earliest memories, and will continue to do so until I draw my last breath. I'm just defending the facts.

Here's the simple truth -- the fact that others celebrate different holidays and events at this time of year HAS NO BEARING on the legitimacy, power or importance of my celebration. This simply isn't a binary, win/lose, good/bad, right/wrong kind of thing, folks!

IMO, to INSIST that others say "Merry Christmas" to me, and to INSIST that I'll only say "Merry Christmas" to them, is simultaneously ignorant, narrow-minded and arrogant.

In closing, here's wishing that everyone here has the very best Season ever, regardless of how you may celebrate it!

-- Nighteyes (who follows the teachings of Christ as he understands them)
Everybody in the planet knows the history of December 25. However, here in Rome Romans celebrate Christmas in December 25. It does not matter that December 25 has other meanings. Here in Rome Romans celebrate Xmas in December 25. When in Rome do as the Romans.

I am not a Jew, but if I lived in Israel I would celebrate their holidays, when in Rome-----.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:57 AM

3,484 posts, read 6,489,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Everybody in the planet knows the history of December 25. However, here in Rome Romans celebrate Christmas in December 25. It does not matter that December 25 has other meanings. Here in Rome Romans celebrate Xmas in December 25. When in Rome do as the Romans.

I am not a Jew, but if I lived in Israel I would celebrate their holidays, when in Rome-----.
Let's go back and review what you originally wrote, which was:

Quote:
I say Merry Christmas because it is the main celebration of the season.
Though it may be - and probably is - the main celebration in ROME, it isn't the main celebration of the season.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:35 PM

88,203 posts, read 84,076,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I have just come to the conclusion that nearly all Christians are warring against Muslims cause they never wish me a Happy Eid. I don't even get a "Happy Holiday" from them, forget about "Happy Eid" also I notice Christians never put up any Eid decorations. That is absolute proof they are warring against the 2 Eids.
Not true! One of the churches here in NJ put an Eid or Ramadan greeting on their sign for the Muslims going to a nearby mosque to see. It was a year or two ago, and the local paper covered it. The Muslims were surprised and pleased to see it, and so was I.

Woodrow--does one say "Happy Eid"? or is there another greeting? We do wish our Jewish coworkers and neighbors a sweet and kosher Passover, but I'm not sure what one says to a Muslim around their sacred days! Or if it would be offensive to say anything at all.

Sidebar: It would be nice if we could have an interfaith forum here where no proselytizing for any one religion would be allowed (Yeah, I see how great that works out for the A and A forum, lol) and people could learn about one another's religions--or lack of religious belief--without the wars.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not true! One of the churches here in NJ put an Eid or Ramadan greeting on their sign for the Muslims going to a nearby mosque to see. It was a year or two ago, and the local paper covered it. The Muslims were surprised and pleased to see it, and so was I.

Woodrow--does one say "Happy Eid"? or is there another greeting? We do wish our Jewish coworkers and neighbors a sweet and kosher Passover, but I'm not sure what one says to a Muslim around their sacred days! Or if it would be offensive to say anything at all.

Sidebar: It would be nice if we could have an interfaith forum here where no proselytizing for any one religion would be allowed (Yeah, I see how great that works out for the A and A forum, lol) and people could learn about one another's religions--or lack of religious belief--without the wars.
When in Rome do as the Romans.

If I lived in Bagdad I would celebrate the Muslim holidays too. Why not?

And when I hang out with Atheists we celebrate cosmology.

Folks, who wants to live in a world with no traditions?

Old 12-07-2013, 02:37 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,021,055 times
Quote:

You keep saying "when in Rome". Where do you actually live?

Old 12-07-2013, 03:01 PM

88,203 posts, read 84,076,500 times
Quote:

That was not really an applicabte response to my post.

I live in NJ. We have Muslims and Christians and Jews and Hindus and atheists and yes, probably a few Romans, too.

I'm talking about knowing, acknowledging, and respecting one another's traditions.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
That was not really an applicabte response to my post.

I live in NJ. We have Muslims and Christians and Jews and Hindus and atheists and yes, probably a few Romans, too.

I'm talking about knowing, acknowledging, and respecting one another's traditions.
Of course we acknowledge others, but the US has a Xmas season and Xmas is a national holiday. Obama lights a xmas tree every year. A lot of cities and towns in the US, Europe and Latin America do the same. When in Rome do as the Romans.

You people just don't get it. This has become part of the cultural fiber of the people. These are traditions that enhance the human condition. Being so PC is not natural for most people and the overwhelming majority of Jews and Muslims in this country understand that Xmas is mostly a secular celebration and part of the history of this country and many others.

BTW, if you go to Rome. Do you avoid seeing the historical religious sites and art work so you are not offended?

Lighten up!

Old 12-07-2013, 04:13 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,997,952 times
Quote:

I was attempting to be funny. I do know Christians and Jews that do wish us Happy eid. Especially when I lived in Texas. Up here it is a rare occasion, mainly because there are so few Muslims most non-Muslims in ND are unaware we even have any holidays.

What to say for Ramadam "Ramadan Kareem" (Blessed Ramadan) Ramadan Mubarak (Ramadan Congratulations) can be used on the last day of Ramadan. For the 2 Eids usually one says Eid Mubarak (Eid Congratulations) Happy Eid is also appropriate.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:35 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,021,055 times
Quote:
Of course we acknowledge others, but the US has a Xmas season and Xmas is a national holiday. Obama lights a xmas tree every year. A lot of cities and towns in the US, Europe and Latin America do the same. When in Rome do as the Romans.

You people just don't get it. This has become part of the cultural fiber of the people. These are traditions that enhance the human condition. Being so PC is not natural for most people and the overwhelming majority of Jews and Muslims in this country understand that Xmas is mostly a secular celebration and part of the history of this country and many others.

BTW, if you go to Rome. Do you avoid seeing the historical religious sites and art work so you are not offended?

Lighten up!
We definitely "get it". Unfortunately you don't. And you make statements that you can't possibly back up.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:35 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,620,560 times
Well we can always bring back and say "Happy Winterval" then. Totally go PC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winterval
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism