Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:45 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,605,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post

Though it may be - and probably is - the main celebration in ROME, it isn't the main celebration of the season.
In which country? In mostly every urban (secular) city in the US it is.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:51 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,605,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
..... I do know Christians and Jews that do wish us Happy eid. Especially when I lived in Texas. Up here it is a rare occasion, mainly because there are so few Muslims most non-Muslims in ND are unaware we even have any holidays.

What to say for Ramadam "Ramadan Kareem" (Blessed Ramadan) Ramadan Mubarak (Ramadan Congratulations) can be used on the last day of Ramadan. For the 2 Eids usually one says Eid Mubarak (Eid Congratulations) Happy Eid is also appropriate.
But do they know when to wish you a Happy New Year per the Muslim calendar or when you are celebrating the birthday of Muhammad?

Old 12-07-2013, 08:16 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,988,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
But do they know when to wish you a Happy New Year per the Muslim calendar or when you are celebrating the birthday of Muhammad?
While some Muslims do celebrate those, they are not Sunnah and I don't celebrate either.

But in the event one was aware of a Muslim celebrating The New Year the date for that is the first day of the Hijri month of Muharram Which in 2014 will begin at sunset Oct 24 and end sunset Oct 25. Starting the year 1436AH. Each year it occurs 11-12 days earlier as all Islamic dates do as the Hijri calender only has 354 days.

Muhammad(saws) Birthday is celebrated by Sunni on the 12 th day of the Month of Rabi’ al-awwal which next will be January 13, 2014. the Shi'ites celebrate it 5 days later.

An Appropriate Greeting would be "Happy New Year" There is no universal greeting for it. Typically the Muslims that celebrate New Years follow the Hanbali Madhab, Which most Arabs Follow. The rest of us usually do not exchange New year greetings, but we are permitted to return in kind if some one offers us a New Year greeting.

I do not recommend a non-Muslim offer any greeting for Muhammad(saws)'s Birthday as quite a few of us, see it as Bi'dah (an innovation) and a sin to celebrate.

Dates in the Hijri Calender may not always agree with the Hijri calender as the start of each Month begins with the sighting of the crescent moon, If clouds block The month will not begin until the next clear night, but not more than 3 nights later, whichever occurs first. the sky Because of that the Holidays often are celebrated on different days in different parts of the world or City. Typically you go by the sky conditions at the Mosque you attend most often.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:34 PM

88,122 posts, read 83,978,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That was not really an applicabte response to my post.

I live in NJ. We have Muslims and Christians and Jews and Hindus and atheists and yes, probably a few Romans, too.

I'm talking about knowing, acknowledging, and respecting one another's traditions.
I hate typing on little electronic phone keyboards...

Old 12-08-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I was attempting to be funny. I do know Christians and Jews that do wish us Happy eid. Especially when I lived in Texas. Up here it is a rare occasion, mainly because there are so few Muslims most non-Muslims in ND are unaware we even have any holidays.

What to say for Ramadam "Ramadan Kareem" (Blessed Ramadan) Ramadan Mubarak (Ramadan Congratulations) can be used on the last day of Ramadan. For the 2 Eids usually one says Eid Mubarak (Eid Congratulations) Happy Eid is also appropriate.
Thanks! I'm going to refer back to this post at the proper time, and I'll wish you those things, Woodrow!

Old 12-08-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Of course we acknowledge others, but the US has a Xmas season and Xmas is a national holiday. Obama lights a xmas tree every year. A lot of cities and towns in the US, Europe and Latin America do the same. When in Rome do as the Romans.

You people just don't get it. This has become part of the cultural fiber of the people. These are traditions that enhance the human condition. Being so PC is not natural for most people and the overwhelming majority of Jews and Muslims in this country understand that Xmas is mostly a secular celebration and part of the history of this country and many others.

BTW, if you go to Rome. Do you avoid seeing the historical religious sites and art work so you are not offended?

Lighten up!
Sigh...your response was still not applicable to what I posted, but never mind, it's water under the bridge. Woodrow and I were talking about other peoples' traditions. Your overused "When in Rome" cliche doesn't apply when you're in a place where all the "Romans" aren't doing the same thing.

Why on earth would I be offended seeing historical religious sites and art work in Rome? I'm Christian. You're not making any sense. But even non-Christians appreciate religious art.

Last year I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (in Manhattan) specifically to see the Islamic collection. Beautiful artwork.

Anyway, I live in a place where, even though culturally Christmas is everywhere, there are lots of people who don't celebrate Christmas. I don't wish Jews, Muslims, or Hindus Merry Christmas. It would be weird.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:16 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sigh...your response was still not applicable to what I posted, but never mind, it's water under the bridge. Woodrow and I were talking about other peoples' traditions. Your overused "When in Rome" cliche doesn't apply when you're in a place where all the "Romans" aren't doing the same thing.

Why on earth would I be offended seeing historical religious sites and art work in Rome? I'm Christian. You're not making any sense. But even non-Christians appreciate religious art.

Last year I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (in Manhattan) specifically to see the Islamic collection. Beautiful artwork.

Anyway, I live in a place where, even though culturally Christmas is everywhere, there are lots of people who don't celebrate Christmas. I don't wish Jews, Muslims, or Hindus Merry Christmas. It would be weird.
::Sigh::It is a National Holiday . . . like the 4th of July. Do you not celebrate the 4th of July because some celebrate Cinco de Mayo???

Old 12-08-2013, 08:23 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,279,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh::It is a National Holiday . . . like the 4th of July. Do you not celebrate the 4th of July because some celebrate Cinco de Mayo???
Americans celebrate Cinco de Mayo more than Mexicans.

I think most of the posters are so concerned with religion that they forget that among the majority of people Xmas is a secular celebration and at one point is no different than 4th of July or Cinco de mayo. One does not need to be American to enjoy the 4ht or be Mexican to enjoy "Cinco".

I will admit that if I see someone that is clearly Muslim or clearly a Jew and--------- if I don't know them I will say NOTHING to them. I think saying NOTHING is much more PC than saying happy Holidays.

If the Jews and Muslims are my friends I will say Merry Xmas and may even invite them to my home for a Xmas Eve party. My Jewish friends have invited me to Bar Mitzvahs and I have a great time. I tend to do whatever they do and may even go to the temple for the ceremony. And when I go to the temple I use the kippah because when I am in Rome I do as the Romans.

As usual your posts are very refreshing and logical.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:34 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,275,074 times
We also do St. Patrick's Day in much grander fashion than the Irish, which I find hilarious. Any excuse to drink, I suppose. Wonder how many stop to consider the religious significance of the holiday and its symbol, the shamrock, on their way to the nearest bar. I suspect not many.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:59 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,279,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
We also do St. Patrick's Day in much grander fashion than the Irish, which I find hilarious. Any excuse to drink, I suppose. Wonder how many stop to consider the religious significance of the holiday and its symbol, the shamrock, on their way to the nearest bar. I suspect not many.
Exactly!

I know plenty of Atheists that bend the elbow on Saint Patrick's day because in the end it becomes secular. Same thing with Xmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism