U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 PM

14,198 posts, read 9,129,015 times

Advertisements

I'll go along somewhat with what others in my orbit wish to do, but my wife and I are both to the place where the commercial, secular Christmas doesn't inspire us to so much as put up a tree anymore. None of the kids will be around on Christmas Day this year, or we'd probably have a special dinner or some such. I'll send a couple of gifts to my grandkids in another state, and I'll get my wife a small thoughtful gift of some sort, and that'll be it.

As empty nesters, we are just too old for all the bustle and stress of the season, so to the extent possible, we ignore it. We gift each other throughout the year, and I would say we make a much bigger deal of Thanksgiving than we do Christmas anymore.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:12 PM

9,922 posts, read 6,784,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Yes.

I cut down a tree and put it in my living room, drape tinsel on it, hang ornaments from it, and put presents underneath. Then friends and family come over and we share a nice meal and good cheer.

Can you explain to me what is religious about these things? I'll save you the time - nothing. Nothing at all.

Why this baffles some people is beyond me.
Exactly! That is the way to go. Why be anal about this!

Great post!

Old 12-05-2013, 07:39 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,017,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB8 View Post
Santa Claus = St. Nick (A bishop who gave gifts to children)
Red / Green color = Red stands for the blood of Christ, green (forget, will look up)
Christmas tree star = Star of Bethlehem
Christmas lights = lights leading to Bethlehem (baby Jesus)
Angels = Religious

All decorations and tradition for the holiday are part of Christmas.
Odin
Winter Solstice
Saturnalia
Yule
Tree
Wassailing
Mistletoe
Holly...

Better check that history book.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:28 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,856,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB8 View Post
Santa Claus = St. Nick (A bishop who gave gifts to children)
Red / Green color = Red stands for the blood of Christ, green (forget, will look up)
Christmas tree star = Star of Bethlehem
Christmas lights = lights leading to Bethlehem (baby Jesus)
Angels = Religious

All decorations and tradition for the holiday are part of Christmas.
You know Christmas trees are banned in the bible right? Jeremiah 1-5?

Oh never mind, Christians only care about the gay-hating parts of the Old Testament.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:40 AM

583 posts, read 1,498,251 times
yes i am a athiest i put up a x yule tree(originally a pagan symbol) share gifts with family and friends cook a nice big meal and share it. chrisrians must learn they do not own the day day many other haved used it.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:27 AM

4,917 posts, read 3,994,400 times
Mythology has always served as a great inspiration for art. Christmas is one of many.

Each year, I attend Midnight Christmas services. I do not bother to take in the eating ritual, as it is of no meaning, but I enjoy the pageantry, the music, the lights. A well presented Christmas service is a work of art, akin to a good opera, a fine production of Shakespeare, or a good concert. It is art, based on mythology, and that is how I see it and enjoy it. I would not avoid it because I do not agree with the religious beliefs behind it any more than I would avoid an opera about Orpheus or refuse to watch Antigone. It is art, a beautiful spectacle of music and lights.

And apparently my attending and enjoying this event somehow causes an Ambrosia cheiranthifolia to become lodged into the distal alimentary canal of certain religious fundamentalists who should have no concern nor, from my point of view, any authority in the matter otherwise. This makes the celebration even more fun.

And if the Buddha statue in the front garden is not enough, the lights outside on my house should help to deter people such as Jehova's Witness who see my garden and turn and walk away.

Interesting, but no fellow atheist on this forum will tell me that I do not have the right in our great nation to attend any religious gathering that I choose. But IF I place this over on the Christian board, I will get dozens of responses, mostly from fundies telling me that I have no right (based on their religious beliefs) to celebrate a holiday the way that I do. Thank You all for ensuring that we never live in a theocracy.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:28 AM

13,581 posts, read 21,764,383 times
Thread is closed. Refer to Administrator sticky .
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism