U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 02:29 PM

8 posts, read 6,672 times

Advertisements

Do you as a nonbeliever celebrate Christmas, the traditional birth of Christ?

If yes/no, please explain.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:32 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,145,085 times
I celebrate Christmas with friends or members of my family who do celebrate Christmas be a secular observance or otherwise. Let to my own designs, I would ignore the whole thing... certain sales excepted.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:37 PM

20,332 posts, read 10,478,408 times
I celebrate christmas but not as a christian holiday. I have a tree, lights, yard decorations, food, family and friends, parties, gifts, eggnog, gingerbread men, etc. When my son was little we used to put goat poop on the porch and tell him it was reindeer droppings. It's a fun holiday, and no religion is required to spend time with family and friends.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:53 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,297,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB8 View Post
Do you as a nonbeliever celebrate Christmas, the traditional birth of Christ?

If yes/no, please explain.
Yes.

I cut down a tree and put it in my living room, drape tinsel on it, hang ornaments from it, and put presents underneath. Then friends and family come over and we share a nice meal and good cheer.

Can you explain to me what is religious about these things? I'll save you the time - nothing. Nothing at all.

Why this baffles some people is beyond me.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:06 PM

8 posts, read 6,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Yes.

I cut down a tree and put it in my living room, drape tinsel on it, hang ornaments from it, and put presents underneath. Then friends and family come over and we share a nice meal and good cheer.

Can you explain to me what is religious about these things? I'll save you the time - nothing. Nothing at all.

Santa Claus = St. Nick (A bishop who gave gifts to children)
Red / Green color = Red stands for the blood of Christ, green (forget, will look up)
Christmas tree star = Star of Bethlehem
Christmas lights = lights leading to Bethlehem (baby Jesus)
Angels = Religious

All decorations and tradition for the holiday are part of Christmas.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:10 PM

20,332 posts, read 10,478,408 times
I thought your posting style seemed familiar.
Welcome back Nunnor.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:13 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,931,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Yes.

^^^ This.

Most of the 'traditions' of Xmas are not Christian in origin, Julie. Perhaps you should read on the subject. First look up the word "Saturnalia".

*sigh*

Old 12-05-2013, 03:15 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,931,287 times
Oh.

Never mind. Troll.

*double sigh*

Old 12-05-2013, 03:18 PM

794 posts, read 1,197,767 times
Tinsel= tears of baby jesus when he sees my heart black with sin
Gingerbread house = the sweetness of my home in heaven
Yule log= eternal fires of damnation
spiced cider= bitter taste of alienation from god
Turkey= what turkeys those who don't get to eat god are
Brandy on christmas pudding= see yule log above
sixpence in the pud= bright soul in a body.
Stocking= filling your soul with gods love
Cranberry sauce= Jesus blood shed for you (clotted)

What a fun game this is! What do the brandy butter and the custard represent? And the holly?

Old 12-05-2013, 03:41 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,297,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB8 View Post
Santa Claus = St. Nick (A bishop who gave gifts to children)
Red / Green color = Red stands for the blood of Christ, green (forget, will look up)
Christmas tree star = Star of Bethlehem
Christmas lights = lights leading to Bethlehem (baby Jesus)
Angels = Religious

All decorations and tradition for the holiday are part of Christmas.
Oh, grow up.

The Easter Bunny and Easter eggs are rooted in pagan fertility rites. And yet I bet you don't whine about non-pagans enjoying such traditions, do you?

How about today? Do you call it 'Thursday' even though you don't worship Thor?

Here's a clue - Santa Claus is no more religious than the word 'Thursday'. You're being ridiculous. As ridiculous as those pathetic parents who won't let their children go trick-or-treating because it has roots in pagan harvest festivals, or who won't give them Easter baskets because of the pagan associations. Are you one of them? (or are you a hypocrite who only whines about non-Christians adopting secular aspects of Christmas, all the while hypocritically enjoying aspects of holidays that are rooted in other religions?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism