U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:20 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,092,754 times

Advertisements

My thought is that people who are actively doubting their faith have plenty of resources to check out, a good deal more discretely than some "rally". Things like books, videos, forums like this, etc.

Besides, organizing "rallies" or protests / demonstrations or the like solely for anti-theism or atheism just isn't going to happen because that requires large organizations with bureaucracy and mission statements and such, and the vast majority of atheists just aren't joiners, and have a variety of conflicting views aside from "no such thing as god(s)". The few atheist organizations and advocacy groups are quite small. Most unbelievers back specific social or political causes that have nothing as such to do with unbelief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:10 PM

17,086 posts, read 9,882,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I'm not out to convince anyone. Doing that makes one no better than those who try to do it to us.
Thank you! I am not about to become an "evangelist" for Atheism. It's not my cause; it's just who I am.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:19 PM

1,420 posts, read 2,639,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And I sure as hell 'they' would stop trying to convince us.
As long as you have money that can be theirs and votes that can be cast their way and a belief that convincing you scores points with their god, they have an incentive to convince you.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:32 PM

5,226 posts, read 5,101,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I believe the President has to put his hand on a bible when he is sworn in...

No, he does not. He may if he wants to, but it is not a requirement. Nor is "...so help me God." an actual part of the official oath of office. The person taking the oath may request its addition.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:09 PM

6,867 posts, read 3,792,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
No, he does not. He may if he wants to, but it is not a requirement. Nor is "...so help me God." an actual part of the official oath of office. The person taking the oath may request its addition.
OK thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:42 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,116,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I've kinda wondered for a while if Atheism hasn't taken a stronger hold on America because we (atheists) find the fight to convinxe Christians such a waste of breath we essentially "give up".
Seriously, what does Atheism have to offer, nothing! No promise of life ever after, the possibility of some god's intercession on one's behalf, the promise that if one beeeleeeves that life will get better? No atheism requires facing realty, one's mortality and that no super being is going to rush to the rescue like John Wayne in a B-movie western. So why on earth would anyone rush to the side of atheism. We are atheist because the simple facts and realty of life dictate no rational alternative and who wants to confront realty?

Old 12-06-2013, 04:46 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,745,563 times
Atheism will continue to grow popularity when atheists become a bit more relaxed and do not put down other religious folks. Some atheists already do that by celebrating the traditional holidays in a secular manner.

Atheism will grow when folks become more intelligent or better educated, but at the same time remain respectful. And do not forget that you will still find highly educated smart evangelicals that simply create compartments between science and religion.

Norway is mostly an Atheist country and yet they have a state sponsored Lutheran Church. It seems Euro Atheists are tolerant and therefore their views are popular. Lastly they are not threatened by "Merry Christmas".

Old 12-06-2013, 05:15 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,843,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I've kinda wondered for a while if Atheism hasn't taken a stronger hold on America because we (atheists) find the fight to convinxe Christians such a waste of breath we essentially "give up". I'm not saying go all Crusades but I find after about 5 mins and 500 bible verses later I just walk away and say screw it. I wonder if more anti-religion rallies were held people would be more open and maybe more curious about it. Or maybe I'm wrong lol and dunno what I'm talking about! Do you find yourself in the "screw it not wasting my breath" category or do debate to the death?
I don't understand. There's no incentive for me to convert people to atheism. Other religions lead their believers on to believe that they get extra bonus points in heaven for converting people . But the great thing about being an atheist is there there's no point system.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:22 PM

6,867 posts, read 3,792,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Seriously, what does Atheism have to offer, nothing! No promise of life ever after, the possibility of some god's intercession on one's behalf, the promise that if one beeeleeeves that life will get better? No atheism requires facing realty, one's mortality and that no super being is going to rush to the rescue like John Wayne in a B-movie western. So why on earth would anyone rush to the side of atheism. We are atheist because the simple facts and realty of life dictate no rational alternative and who wants to confront realty?
Atheism does have plenty to offer in my mind.
I'd say it offers reason, clarity of mind, freedom of thought, the unhindered ability to accept new ideas, freedom to accept change and progress, freedom to accept other people and cultures based on what you learn about them instead of someone else's preconceived ideas, freedom from guilt about things there is no reason to feel guilty about in the first place, and freedom from the fear of hell.
I know there will be theists out there that would say you can have all that alongside a belief in god, and I'd probably say that is true for a lot of people, but I didn't feel I had that personally until I'd ruled the god bit out of the equation (I have never been good at multi-tasking, -contrary to popular belief about women )
But yes, the downside is that sometimes the reality can be harsh, but it can also be very rewarding.
Frankly I wish there was something like an afterlife or reincarnation. I'd love to do this all again. I might do a few things differently next time around.
But the alternative is just not appealing and I guess that's what makes us all atheists. We'd rather face the reality.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:24 PM

20,332 posts, read 10,459,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Atheism will continue to grow popularity when atheists become a bit more relaxed and do not put down other religious folks. Some atheists already do that by celebrating the traditional holidays in a secular manner.

Atheism will grow when folks become more intelligent or better educated, but at the same time remain respectful. And do not forget that you will still find highly educated smart evangelicals that simply create compartments between science and religion.

Norway is mostly an Atheist country and yet they have a state sponsored Lutheran Church. It seems Euro Atheists are tolerant and therefore their views are popular. Lastly they are not threatened by "Merry Christmas".
Any more relaxed, and most atheists would be in a coma. We aren't out protesting, or pushing to have atheism taught in school, or any of that crap. Most of us just want to be left alone, and only speak up when religion gets in our faces, or our lives.

As for the merry christmas thing, I suggest you go read the threads to see who is threatened by words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism