U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 06:05 PM

5,846 posts, read 3,362,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
My wife worked in large department store in the States, and they were not allowed to play Christian Christmas carols this time of year.
Actually, the reason why many department stores won't play Christmas carols isn't because of any religious or politically correct reason.

Employees were actually complaining that having to listen to carols for 8-12 hours per day, 5-7 days per week was driving them crazy - those carols were really undermining employee morale, so most stores stopped playing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 06:42 AM

4,518 posts, read 3,926,429 times
It drives me crazy, too. Especially since some places have been playing them since Halloween.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 AM

3,020 posts, read 2,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Employees were actually complaining that having to listen to carols for 8-12 hours per day, 5-7 days per week was driving them crazy - those carols were really undermining employee morale, so most stores stopped playing them.
But somehow playing Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer 20 times a day for 2 months doesn't undermine employee morale? It is weird to me that playing Silent Night in Canada doesn't undermine employee morale, but it does in the States. Americans sure seem to have low self-esteem.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:48 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,033,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I've kinda wondered for a while if Atheism hasn't taken a stronger hold on America because we (atheists) find the fight to convinxe Christians such a waste of breath we essentially "give up". I'm not saying go all Crusades but I find after about 5 mins and 500 bible verses later I just walk away and say screw it. I wonder if more anti-religion rallies were held people would be more open and maybe more curious about it. Or maybe I'm wrong lol and dunno what I'm talking about! Do you find yourself in the "screw it not wasting my breath" category or do debate to the death?
Convince Christians of what? That they're wrong? That will just make them mad, and you'll fail to convince them of anything.
I try to limit my "debates" to convincing them that they have no right to pass legislation that governs others according to their own particular beliefs, maybe point out a hypocrisy once in a while, but I have no expectations of "turning" them, as it were.
Atheism is not a choice. It's the sum total of your knowledge, research and experience not supporting the concept of deity. You can't convince someone to become an atheist....it's a personal journey.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:22 PM

17,329 posts, read 19,597,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Atheism is not a choice. It's the sum total of your knowledge, research and experience not supporting the concept of deity. You can't convince someone to become an atheist....it's a personal journey.
That is spot on. In my case, it was perhaps the most enlightening intellectual journey I've had... A decades-long quest through many religions to find that there was ultimately nothing left at the end of the road.

I almost wish I could relive it. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism