U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 04:41 PM

39,035 posts, read 10,825,389 times

Advertisements

The lady has had bad press, but those are good words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 PM

20,332 posts, read 10,442,079 times
Florida Man Airs Grievances With Festivus Pole In Capitol : NPR

Too funny.

Quote:
Stevens says when he heard about the Capitol nativity scene, it was just too much. So he applied to the state to install his own display: a pole covered in beer cans.

"This is about separation of church and state," Stevens says. "The government shouldn't be in this business of allowing the mixture of church and state."

Old 12-12-2013, 05:58 AM

14,191 posts, read 9,079,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
The lady has had bad press, but those are good words.
Well-deserved bad rep, IMO, but it's a mistake to entirely dismiss her. All good ideas come from flawed people, given that all are flawed. It's too bad that she was so uneven as a person, she could have accomplished more, and would not have been so easy to dupe and manipulate, as she apparently was by the individual that eventually was her undoing.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:18 AM

As they say, the Book may be a flawed document, but there are some Good Things to be found in it.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:38 PM

3,523 posts, read 2,446,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It's as legitimate (or not) as any other belief structure. Who am I to judge?
Sorry didn't mean to infer that you believed it to be legitimate, guess I was trying to ask that as a general question rather than appearing to direct it at you......did a pretty bad job now that I look at what I wrote.

Quote:
'Satanic' worship is misunderstood. As an atheist I don't like it any more than I like the worshipping God or Jesus. At the same time it doesn't bother me that people are engaged in what I see as a pointless and futile activity.
What is the point for atheism is that all religions get equal rights to do public acts of religion and Christianity doesn't get to have the dominance. It's the same response as efforts to get public Christian rites conducted or collective Christian activities at schools. Other religions take the opportunity to do the same and the Christian efforts to get a social domination advantage is nullified.

That definitely serves the atheist cause.
Love your intellect btw Arequipa been seeing you around and reading your posts for a long time now. I agree with what you said but in my mind there are two equally legitimate sides to that argument (depending on how an individual's own mind works). Satanic worship is the biggest slap in the face to Christianity imaginable and the reality is is that Christianity rules right now in this country. It will never become a reality for the satan worshipers to see such a monument in a country so steeped in a religion that thinks it is the be-all end-all of all religions. Christianity is pretty arrogant and pushy. But.....I have to give the Satanists an A for effort.

Like I said before, I may be an agnostic-atheist but I'm very laid back about the whole "atheist cause". It's just the same to me as being an atheist itself, no belief therefore no agenda.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:32 AM

7,945 posts, read 4,738,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_Shroom12 View Post
This lady's quote is simply outstanding:

"An atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty banished, war eliminated."
– American Atheists founder Madalyn Murray O'Hair
That doesn't sound like she is describing all, or "general" Atheists (all atheists are general atheists since it's only one position on one subject), that sounds like maybe a description of a general American Humanist.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Sorry didn't mean to infer that you believed it to be legitimate, guess I was trying to ask that as a general question rather than appearing to direct it at you......did a pretty bad job now that I look at what I wrote.

Love your intellect btw Arequipa been seeing you around and reading your posts for a long time now. I agree with what you said but in my mind there are two equally legitimate sides to that argument (depending on how an individual's own mind works). Satanic worship is the biggest slap in the face to Christianity imaginable and the reality is is that Christianity rules right now in this country. It will never become a reality for the satan worshipers to see such a monument in a country so steeped in a religion that thinks it is the be-all end-all of all religions. Christianity is pretty arrogant and pushy. But.....I have to give the Satanists an A for effort.

Like I said before, I may be an agnostic-atheist but I'm very laid back about the whole "atheist cause". It's just the same to me as being an atheist itself, no belief therefore no agenda.
There was a time when I would have totally agreed with you, but I gather that there is a kind of satanism that is much more allied to a Gaea - type animism. I think it's an unfortunate name, but they no doubt have their reasons.

On the other hand, there are those who profess themselves satanic, because they love violence and a rejection of all standards of morality and have a particular dislike of Christianity. There are also some atheists who adopt Satan as an icon to show Mocking disrespeect to Christianity.

There are some things that atheists do that I don't much case for, but what do I know? The Zombie - marches and campaigns against Christmas trees may achieve more than all the reasonably argued posts I ever typed .

P.s thanks for your kind words. I must repeat that I am of middling intellect and most here probably have more certificates than you could wave a stick at. I shrink from confessing what the sum total of my academic documentation is.

But the value is that I can do pretty well at a discussion because of sound reasoning and correct use of data, and the credit is due to the training I received in my former job and the correspondence - course in logical argument and the FQuA's (Frequently Quoted Apologetics) and the best responses mainly learned on Cliff Walker's 'Positive atheism' site.

And my interest in history and archeology has helped. It was a discussion on the Exodus and looking at the Hyksos that made me go back to the 14th -17th dynasties and really clarified the whole Hyksos thing and really did a lot to put the Exodus story to bed, but that's another subject.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-15-2013 at 05:56 AM..

Old 12-15-2013, 12:44 PM

3,523 posts, read 2,446,358 times
Quote:
There was a time when I would have totally agreed with you, but I gather that there is a kind of satanism that is much more allied to a Gaea - type animism. I think it's an unfortunate name, but they no doubt have their reasons.

On the other hand, there are those who profess themselves satanic, because they love violence and a rejection of all standards of morality and have a particular dislike of Christianity. There are also some atheists who adopt Satan as an icon to show Mocking disrespeect to Christianity.

There are some things that atheists do that I don't much case for, but what do I know? The Zombie - marches and campaigns against Christmas trees may achieve more than all the reasonably argued posts I ever typed .

P.s thanks for your kind words. I must repeat that I am of middling intellect and most here probably have more certificates than you could wave a stick at. I shrink from confessing what the sum total of my academic documentation is.

But the value is that I can do pretty well at a discussion because of sound reasoning and correct use of data, and the credit is due to the training I received in my former job and the correspondence - course in logical argument and the FQuA's (Frequently Quoted Apologetics) and the best responses mainly learned on Cliff Walker's 'Positive atheism' site.

And my interest in history and archeology has helped. It was a discussion on the Exodus and looking at the Hyksos that made me go back to the 14th -17th dynasties and really clarified the whole Hyksos thing and really did a lot to put the Exodus story to bed, but that's another subject.
I guess I just don't get the whole Satanist thing as a whole, it just seems pointless to worship something that is portrayed as evil and obviously Satanists believe in God or they wouldn't have anything to believe in because Satan is a biblical figure. More than my brain can handle I guess.

Your welcome, but I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. And as far as academic documentation I'm sure you have more than me since I have zero lol. That's why I can't really participate in a lot of debates, I just read and try to glean something from posts like yours and others. Sure do miss Rifleman's posts I learned a lot from him.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:10 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I guess I just don't get the whole Satanist thing as a whole, it just seems pointless to worship something that is portrayed as evil
Are you talking about god or satan?

Old 12-16-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Are you talking about god or satan?
Now, there's a point. Gnostic dualism has a lot of (suppressed) gospels based on the idea that there were two gods and the Bible one was the evil one (not hard to argue ) and therefore, by default, Satan was in fact the nice guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism