U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:44 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,697,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
. I've never gotten over the comment about my sons Tourettes being caused by his lack of faith. I still get a tick just thinking about it.
WTH is wrong with people? I'd have told them where they could put that belief and never let them darken my door again.

Sorry, Poppy. What that person did was beyond awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 02:00 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,981,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I've never gotten over the comment about my sons Tourettes being caused by his lack of faith. I still get a tick just thinking about it.
WTH is wrong with people? I'd have told them where they could put that belief and never let them darken my door again.

Sorry, Poppy. What that person did was beyond awful.
Goes to prove the adage that those that believe in absurdities will commit atrocities.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,094,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
bek most peoples view of atheists is negative. that is bek there are so few real atheists and mostly ex christians with an axe to grind against the church
the real atheists i have known were nothing like the CD rageholics that rag on jesus 24/7.
real atheists have good ethics standards and above all are good thinkers.
IMO, atheists are mistrusted because they are A) different and B) because religious belief asserts itself as a powerful facet of one's identity.

But let's go with your theory.

Has it ever occurred to you that some atheists feel this way because the "faithful" don't leave us the hell alone? Every December, we're accused of trying to kill Christmas. While Christian evangelising is tolerated or even celebrated, atheists getting their message out are reviled. The God Delusion may as well have been written by Satan with the blood of virgins. Academia, with a high concentration of non-religious/atheists, is similarly treated. Individually, my choice to be an atheist has been dismissed as illegitimate in a variety of social contexts. In the right (or wrong) circle of biblical fundamentalists, I can't even pretend to be Catholic (family religion, baptised, Catholic school) because they're not sufficiently "Christian."

It does have strong parallels with being gay. When a straight couple holds hands, or kisses in public, no one bats an eye. Some may even find a young couple adorable. If I do that with a guy? Well, well. I am shredding society's moral fabric. Or even better, I am "shoving the homosexual lifestyle" down the throat of onlookers.

The difference is that "gay" me has a support/political action network. Atheist me does not.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:30 PM

4,999 posts, read 3,887,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
This is crazy. What the hell is the matter with this country?

I think I've told this story before on here but might as well give it another go:

Been living here just over 2 years now.
The first year I made really good friends with a mom of my daughters friend. We saw each other all the time, really hit it off. We never talked about religion really as it just never came up in the conversation although I knew she was Christian and which church she attended every Sunday.
One day I just sort of mentioned in passing that I was an atheist - never even occurred to me it would be a problem - I can't even remember the context of the conversation.
Well big mistake. Suddenly she turned very cold and from then on in, god was brought into the conversation at what seemed to be every opportunity. How we should be thankful that god made these strawberries so red, how god does this and how god does that in a way that had never even been mentioned before, as though trying to rub it in.

I told my husband and his reaction was: "WHAT? you never tell people you are an atheist here. People get really offended by that". ...Huh?
He's spent a lot of time in America - worked between the UK and America for 15 years so I guess he thought I was really naive.

I was really shocked that a person who seemed to like you would suddenly turn sour the minute you say you are an atheist even though you are quite obviously the same person. Suffice to say I hardly see this lady nowadays although our kids are still friends. I don't need that kind of pettiness.

It's taken me a while to appreciate that there really is this odd undercurrent here. And I'm in California which is supposed to be this liberal state.

These days I'm more careful about what I reveal to whom. There are lots of people who know I am atheist now, but I'm a lot more choosy about who I reveal it to. I'd have never felt that way back home, nobody cares what you are.
It's her loss. You don't have to hide what you do or don't believe in. Nobody tells christians to stop wearing crosses around their necks. I refuse to let juvenile adults dictate what I do. Pretending to not be exactly what you are can drive a person crazy. I refuse to do that to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism