Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:47 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times

Advertisements

This is how we (we being non-xtians) best get our point across. Not by constantly demanding the removal of Christian religious stuff from public property, but by demanding equal time for all belief structures. Share the taxpayer's domain, members of the dominant religion. Be careful what you wish for, Christian majority, you might get it.

Satanic Temple Monument in Okla. May Include ‘Interactive Display’ for Kids - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 04:48 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,793,445 times
Really? You think "devil" worshiping is a legitimate belief? I'm not a Christian either but I am not bothered by Christian religious stuff or Christmas for that matter, not sure how giving the satan worshipers a monument furthers the atheist cause. To me there is no "cause" but I'm a pretty laid back atheist.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:48 PM

243 posts, read 452,578 times
Saw that in The Guardian a few days ago. I hope they get their monument and it opens up options for everyone else as well. Of course this wouldn't be an issue if they had respected separation of church and state.

Fair is fair.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:02 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
How long until politicians learn that if they allow one religion, they have to allow all?

Louisiana had the issue with allowing school vouchers for religious schools, then they found out that Muslim schools were included, and freaked out.

Then there is the school prayer thing in Florida. Were they ever surprised when the local Satanist group thanked them and demanded that they be allowed to lead prayers in school too.

Maybe they will learn that the whole separation of church and state thing is a good idea.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:01 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Really? You think "devil" worshiping is a legitimate belief?
It's as legitimate (or not) as any other belief structure. Who am I to judge?

Old 12-10-2013, 08:49 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Really? You think "devil" worshiping is a legitimate belief? I'm not a Christian either but I am not bothered by Christian religious stuff or Christmas for that matter, not sure how giving the satan worshipers a monument furthers the atheist cause. To me there is no "cause" but I'm a pretty laid back atheist.
'Satanic' worship is misunderstood. As an atheist I don't like it any more than I like the worshipping God or Jesus. At the same time it doesn't bother me that people are engaged in what I see as a pointless and futile activity.
What is the point for atheism is that all religions get equal rights to do public acts of religion and Christianity doesn't get to have the dominance. It's the same response as efforts to get public Christian rites conducted or collective Christian activities at schools. Other religions take the opportunity to do the same and the Christian efforts to get a social domination advantage is nullified.

That definitely serves the atheist cause.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:19 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
brings this to mind:

Atheists Unveil Monument Near Ten Commandments In Florida

Old 12-10-2013, 11:52 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Why should there be any religious anything on government land or funded by taxpayers?

If people want to put up displays, they are more than welcome to do it on their own private property or at their churches--on their time and dime, not mine.

But if I had to play this game, I'd go right for a depiction of someone being touched by His Noodly Appendage.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:56 AM

328 posts, read 466,237 times
Satan's commandments and Jesus's commandments...both share equal footing in reality and both versions have believers. I say the Satanists should be allowed to erect their statue and I fully support them as an atheist. Look at all the Jesusism statues all around America...crosses on roadsides, virgin Marys outside of Catholic centers, etc. The pentagram looks sweeter, too. I prefer a stunning geometric figure to a stylized 't' or some sad looking chick draped in blue.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:10 AM

328 posts, read 466,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
This lady's quote is simply outstanding:

"An atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty banished, war eliminated."
– American Atheists founder Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism