U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 03:14 PM

474 posts, read 779,932 times

Advertisements

The religion aspect, to me, does change things slightly since religion is very important to some people. She tried rearranging our living room furniture when they first moved in and I put my foot down hard on that. They had no possible reason for changing around our furniture layout. Religious symbolism I can understand a bit more, and if it was less noticeable (a nativity scene on the fireplace mantle, for example) I don't think I'd have an issue with it. We did let them hang up a rosary and a crucifix when they moved in, but both were small and are conspicuous enough that I don't even notice them if I'm not looking for it.

And it isn't the fact that it's giant and inflatable, we did put up an inflatable Santa they had which I don't mind at all. We don't personally own any decorations other than a tree, and it's nice to decorate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 03:15 PM

474 posts, read 779,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Inflatable anything belongs in the BACK YARD.
That might be a good compromise, actually. Keep the nativity in the back yard so I don't see it everyday when I come home from work, but the family can keep their traditions.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:56 PM

12,540 posts, read 12,645,822 times
Your house, your rules. They can put up their nativity scene when they have their own place.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 PM

16,835 posts, read 14,254,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
My in-laws, mother-in-law, father-in-law, and their four kids, are living with us until they can afford their own apartment. They are religious (Catholic), but I am atheist and my husband is a lapsed Catholic. He still believes, but in an extremely limited capacity (basically, there is some form of deity/God but the Bible/church is not accurate). My in-laws have an inflatable nativity scene that they want to put up in front of our house, but I really don't want it setup. My husband is indifferent, but my mother-in-law is adamant that it needs to be put up, and that even if we aren't religious, having a religious symbol won't hurt us. I'm not arguing that it will hurt us, but to me it's a principal. It is our house, and I feel that the decorations on our house should match our believes.

Am I overreacting? Just giving in and letting the decorations go up would be the easiest solution and would avoid a fight, but I don't want to set a precedent of allowing our rules/preferences to be overruled.
Your house, your choice.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 PM

17,579 posts, read 40,049,038 times
You are better than me. No chance the rosary or crucifix would have gone up.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:26 PM

13,732 posts, read 13,801,668 times
I think they sound nuts, but I also think this is a "pick your battles" kind of situation. You may want to concede this in order to take a firmer stand over something more important. I just feel like an inflatable nativity crosses so far over into the ridiculous, it loses any religious meaning.

You're perfectly right in your feelings, but with 8 people in the house and a certain amount of harmony to maintain (I feel bad for those 4 kids, being in such an uncertain situation), this might be something to let slide.

Inflatable nativity? Oh come on, that's comedy gold right there.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:58 PM

14,224 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
She tried rearranging our living room furniture when they first moved in and I put my foot down hard on that. They had no possible reason for changing around our furniture layout.
NO. Just ... no. This is a pattern. The impertinence of rearranging your furniture when they are a guest ... no, not even that, a charity case that you've taken on -- is enormous. That is an attempt to take control and so is the inflatable decoration. You have every right to say no. This is one of those "give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile" kind of things. They need to show some respect. If they want to redecorate then they can get their own place.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:09 PM

13,732 posts, read 13,801,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
NO. Just ... no. This is a pattern. The impertinence of rearranging your furniture when they are a guest ... no, not even that, a charity case that you've taken on -- is enormous. That is an attempt to take control and so is the inflatable decoration. You have every right to say no. This is one of those "give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile" kind of things. They need to show some respect. If they want to redecorate then they can get their own place.
I agree about the rearranging the furniture. That's just beyond insane.

But the bar stories about the inflatable nativity... I would be drunk for free for WEEKS just based on that.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:45 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,099,760 times
Your house, your rules! And this applies to everything, not just decorations.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,142,970 times
I think they are trying to drive you out of your house and they are off to a good start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or