U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 02:33 PM

474 posts, read 776,965 times

Advertisements

My in-laws, mother-in-law, father-in-law, and their four kids, are living with us until they can afford their own apartment. They are religious (Catholic), but I am atheist and my husband is a lapsed Catholic. He still believes, but in an extremely limited capacity (basically, there is some form of deity/God but the Bible/church is not accurate). My in-laws have an inflatable nativity scene that they want to put up in front of our house, but I really don't want it setup. My husband is indifferent, but my mother-in-law is adamant that it needs to be put up, and that even if we aren't religious, having a religious symbol won't hurt us. I'm not arguing that it will hurt us, but to me it's a principal. It is our house, and I feel that the decorations on our house should match our believes.

Am I overreacting? Just giving in and letting the decorations go up would be the easiest solution and would avoid a fight, but I don't want to set a precedent of allowing our rules/preferences to be overruled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 02:44 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,964,759 times
They sounds pretty ungrateful. You take them in when they need help and then try and dictate how you should have your house. And you make a very good point. If you say yes to this you may be telling them that they get to set the rules in your house.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:52 PM

20,332 posts, read 10,530,107 times
I remember wanting to paint my room dark purple when I was a teen. My dad said no. He said that it was his house, and I would live by his rules while under his roof. This situation seems pretty similar to me.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:57 PM

12,870 posts, read 10,070,758 times
You mother-in-law is insisting ... in YOUR house? No you are not over reacting. If they are going to be staying with you for a while, calmly and as matter of factly as you can manage, say No.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:58 PM

12,870 posts, read 10,070,758 times
And let's not forget, religious symbol or not, giant inflatable lawn decorations are tacky!

Old 12-16-2013, 02:58 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,964,759 times
And to me this has nothing to do with "religion". I would have said the same answer about anything your "guests" were insisting on in your house that you didn't agree with it.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:00 PM

6,932 posts, read 3,830,795 times
We are an atheist family but we do Christmas to the hilt! I'm a bit of a stickler for bad taste though and the reason I'd object to that particular nativity is because its inflatable! No sorry, I'd draw the line there.
I wouldn't object to a small wooden nativity scene round the fireplace, something like that.
Although I think the nativity is entirely fictional, I think it's a nice story so I think its okay.
But an inflatable nativity in front of the house?... oh no no no.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:05 PM

485 posts, read 735,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
My in-laws, mother-in-law, father-in-law, and their four kids, are living with us until they can afford their own apartment. They are religious (Catholic), but I am atheist and my husband is a lapsed Catholic. He still believes, but in an extremely limited capacity (basically, there is some form of deity/God but the Bible/church is not accurate). My in-laws have an inflatable nativity scene that they want to put up in front of our house, but I really don't want it setup. My husband is indifferent, but my mother-in-law is adamant that it needs to be put up, and that even if we aren't religious, having a religious symbol won't hurt us. I'm not arguing that it will hurt us, but to me it's a principal. It is our house, and I feel that the decorations on our house should match our believes.

Am I overreacting? Just giving in and letting the decorations go up would be the easiest solution and would avoid a fight, but I don't want to set a precedent of allowing our rules/preferences to be overruled.
I don't think you're overreacting a bit. You're taking in 6 people into your home until they can afford to find a place to rent? They should be glad they have a place to stay. If you don't put it up what will they do, leave? If I were I would kindly stand your ground and tell them you don't want it up and leave it at that.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:08 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,021,499 times
I agree with what everyone else has said, at least in principle. But if you're going to live with these people and keep a healthy relationship, it might be worth considering. Does she insist on a lot of things? Or is this particularly important? If it's part of a pattern, it might be best to put your foot down. If it's the only thing she's asked for, then maybe it's more important to her than to you. If she wants it because it is particularly important to the kids, I would be inclined to do it.

Being kind is more important than being right. But you don't have to be a doormat to be kind.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:13 PM

15,196 posts, read 13,534,918 times
Inflatable anything belongs in the BACK YARD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or