U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:12 AM

1,387 posts, read 2,168,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Really no gifts either?
That's what I've found with facebook. Actually I love it for being a great way of keeping in touch with people year round. Especially when you are so far away. I find it really useful for that. I've got family in Australia and friends in New Zealand, Kenya, Canada, France, but mainly in the UK and USA. It's really useful for keeping in touch long distance. I never mail a letter anymore - obviously it's far easier to send an email. I do wonder how many years the card thing will keep going too. Especially as post offices round the world seem to be suffering as well.
I am 53 now, and I have so much crap it is almost scary. I don't need any more stuff. My friends and family are also getting older, and would rather have donations made to charity, or a gift card for a fine restaurant. This is the first year I am not doing gifts at all, except to my mom.
In previous years I made vanilla or mustard or some other homemade goodies for gifts, and I sent my brothers king crab.

My husband was disappointed that I wasn't doing cards, but not disappointed enough to do it himself.
I imagine there will always be a few people out there who will send cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 09:38 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,470,111 times
I found last years cards, that I lost, in with the christmas decorations. One less thing I have to do this year.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:42 AM

6,876 posts, read 3,797,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I am 53 now, and I have so much crap it is almost scary. I don't need any more stuff. My friends and family are also getting older, and would rather have donations made to charity, or a gift card for a fine restaurant. This is the first year I am not doing gifts at all, except to my mom.
In previous years I made vanilla or mustard or some other homemade goodies for gifts, and I sent my brothers king crab.

My husband was disappointed that I wasn't doing cards, but not disappointed enough to do it himself.
I imagine there will always be a few people out there who will send cards.
I've got a solution to the crap Sizzly - move house. It's a bit drastic admittedly but it does force you to throw away half your crap. Even then you bring approximately half of it with you, and then you throw away about another 50 percent when you arrive at your new destination, wondering why on earth you brought it.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:15 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,371,468 times
very true, Cruithne, I seem to stash stuff away all year long. I throw out things or donate them regularly. I moved quite a few times but each time I still had so much to get rid of.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:59 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,362,978 times
Quote:
I've got a solution to the crap Sizzly - move house. It's a bit drastic admittedly but it does force you to throw away half your crap. Even then you bring approximately half of it with you, and then you throw away about another 50 percent when you arrive at your new destination, wondering why on earth you brought it.
I've discovered through many, many moves in my life ... that your junk always arrives safely to your new home, but your valuables and fragile items usually arrive broken or don't arrive at all.

You don't even have to throw anything away. Just let nature take its course - half your stuff will be broken or missing anyway.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:57 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,987,323 times
From actual people we know, we have received one this year.

In the past decade or two we have sent none.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:11 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,114,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Don't worry. We men don't expect good presents. we know they are bought to assuage a vague feeling of guilt if we are not bought one. Clothes are always good, if unexciting since men generally don't bother and wear old clothes they got from their late dad. Including the slippers.
Clothes, yeah. Always clothes. And I'd open up the box, and immediately start mentally coaching myself: Think gratitude, look gratitude, smile gratitude...you can give this travesty away right after the tree comes down. She means well, really she means well...I just wish she did well-er.

Are all those wretchedly ugly shirts made especially for Christmas, I wonder.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,102,293 times
My holiday card traffic is near-zero but I can't say whether it's part of some trend. It's just the vagaries of how my particular extended family dynamic works out. Personally, I send a couple of higher quality eCards to people like my late wife's family because they'd probably be wounded if I didn't; there is always a last minute flurry of old-fashioned snail-mail cards going out to my brothers and children, etc. Since our families are quite geographically dispersed and in my wife's case, some are estranged or semi-estranged, cards are about the sum total of Christmas obligations for us.

I tend to view the whole thing as a PITA. Some people are more social or find this sort of thing fun, and more power to 'em, but it's just something I personally wish would Go Away.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:30 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,548,495 times
Quote:
Are holiday cards a dying tradition?
I think they have been for a while, especially when people started becoming more aware of their environmental impact. I send a few holiday cards to my clients, but that's all. I don't send them to friends anymore. I'd rather just leave a fun picture on their FB wall or something like that.

However, yesterday I learned of Krampus. That may be my new bit of snark and mischief--to tell my friends I hope he doesn't swat them TOO hard, unless they like that sort of thing. MUAH HA HA HA HA!

Old 12-19-2013, 09:51 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,362,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Clothes, yeah. Always clothes. And I'd open up the box, and immediately start mentally coaching myself: Think gratitude, look gratitude, smile gratitude...you can give this travesty away right after the tree comes down. She means well, really she means well...I just wish she did well-er.

Are all those wretchedly ugly shirts made especially for Christmas, I wonder.
Women get clothes too, but usually because everyone thinks all women want them.

Nope.

Back when I was younger and we still did the gift-giving thing, I made it clear in no uncertain terms that I did NOT want clothes for Christmas. As a minor, I always felt that giving clothes for Christmas was just a cheap excuse to avoid having to do what parents are supposed to do - keep their children clothed. Christmas is supposed to be for all the big stuff, the expensive stuff, the fun stuff - the kind of stuff that kids can't afford with allowance money. If relatives use up Christmas to buy clothes - which you can get any other time of year - then when can a kid ask for something really awesome?

I told everyone that, before you drop $40 on a sweater that I'll never wear, think gift card. They may not be as fun to open on Christmas morning, but they're a far cry better than a new dress that I won't wear until someone dies or gets married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism