U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:21 PM

6,864 posts, read 3,788,814 times

Advertisements

Is it my imagination or are people not bothering with holiday cards so much these days?

I don't know about anybody else but practically the only time I ever go to the post office these days is to buy stamps to post my Christmas cards, since everything else seems to be done with electronic mail.

So my mailing out of cards gets later and later every year because I have basically lost the will to line up in a post office.
I didn't even get any cards out last year because we had just moved house. (I've been better this year.)

We certainly don't get the volume of cards we used to - but that's partly due to the fact that we live 5000 miles from home so I guess we are a bit out of sight out of mind too.

Anybody else finding a similar thing? Or is it just me

There's a trend too I have noticed with people saying they are not sending out cards but making a donation to charity instead.

Also I struggled to even find cards to send this year. Back home in Tesco there would be an enormous aisle of cards. I found my cards this year in a tiny corner at the back of Target. If you'd blinked you'd have missed them. Maybe its less of an American thing I don't know?

Anybody not send cards deliberately for any reason?

Are holiday cards a dying tradition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 07:35 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,782,292 times
I hand't noticed any drop off.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:51 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,166,698 times
I used to send out about 50 cards every year, and the list just got shorter and shorter. Some people never sent me cards, so I stopped sending to them. Now, xmas itself is such a bother that I just do I nice dinner. No gifts, no tree, no cards. It is much less stressful this way.

Also, I think social sites like Facebook have had an impact. Christmas cards used to be a way to keep in touch once a year. Now, you can invest 30 seconds of your time to give greetings on somebody's page and not be bothered with selecting cards, writing something chatty in it, and mailing it. And you know how they are doing, since every detail of their life with pictures is right there to read about.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I used to send out about 50 cards every year, and the list just got shorter and shorter. Some people never sent me cards, so I stopped sending to them. Now, xmas itself is such a bother that I just do I nice dinner. No gifts, no tree, no cards. It is much less stressful this way.

Also, I think social sites like Facebook have had an impact. Christmas cards used to be a way to keep in touch once a year. Now, you can invest 30 seconds of your time to give greetings on somebody's page and not be bothered with selecting cards, writing something chatty in it, and mailing it. And you know how they are doing, since every detail of their life with pictures is right there to read about.
Really no gifts either?
That's what I've found with facebook. Actually I love it for being a great way of keeping in touch with people year round. Especially when you are so far away. I find it really useful for that. I've got family in Australia and friends in New Zealand, Kenya, Canada, France, but mainly in the UK and USA. It's really useful for keeping in touch long distance. I never mail a letter anymore - obviously it's far easier to send an email. I do wonder how many years the card thing will keep going too. Especially as post offices round the world seem to be suffering as well.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:57 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,366,210 times
If stamps weren't so expensive, I'd send out more cards. Who keeps Christmas cards forever anyway? Not many, they throw them out in January at the latest and it's a waste. I make some for certain people and send them but the list is getting shorter each year. Most people get a wish through social media.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:13 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Is it my imagination or are people not bothering with holiday cards so much these days?

I don't know about anybody else but practically the only time I ever go to the post office these days is to buy stamps to post my Christmas cards, since everything else seems to be done with electronic mail.

So my mailing out of cards gets later and later every year because I have basically lost the will to line up in a post office.
I didn't even get any cards out last year because we had just moved house. (I've been better this year.)

We certainly don't get the volume of cards we used to - but that's partly due to the fact that we live 5000 miles from home so I guess we are a bit out of sight out of mind too.

Anybody else finding a similar thing? Or is it just me

There's a trend too I have noticed with people saying they are not sending out cards but making a donation to charity instead.

Also I struggled to even find cards to send this year. Back home in Tesco there would be an enormous aisle of cards. I found my cards this year in a tiny corner at the back of Target. If you'd blinked you'd have missed them. Maybe its less of an American thing I don't know?

Anybody not send cards deliberately for any reason?

Are holiday cards a dying tradition?
I still get some cards from people. Typically some people that are from the baby boom generation or older. I don't really get them from my fellow Gen X'ers or the Millennials. so maybe to generational thing. I don't know.
personally I'm not big on sending them for couple different reasons.

1. I'm not a huge environmentalist...but... I feel they're a waste of natural resources ( trees, oil, etc.) that could be better used for other purposes.

2. I've noticed a lot of cards are pretty expensive considering that most people are just going to throw them away fairly soon after you receive them. So to me the kind of a waste of money.

3. As someone said earlier. Postage in general is getting more and more expensive. Again to me it just seems like a waste of money when I can send something for free via email.

Don't get me wrong I can understand the emotional attachment to the tradition of sending cards. It's it seems more personal than an email or other electronic message. But my concerns as stated above... To me... Outweigh the tradition.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:04 AM

39,135 posts, read 10,857,554 times
Less cards and no presents. The thing is that the charity donation goes on all year and we can get what we want - there is no need to wait for some festival.

Of course, there is a winter festival for some good cheer and family fun, but the exchange of pasteboard greetings and clearing the shops of what used to be socks and after- shave but are now 'An ideal gift for Him' can be sidelined.

Of course, for kids it's great, but the effort can be put into making it good for them, not on buying some unwanted bath - salts for auntie.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:00 AM

I agree with all the comments above. I spent over $50 just on stamps this year. It costs $1.10 minimum to send a card internationally, which most of mine are. And the environmental factor I agree is an issue too. However compared to the volume of junk mail and packaging I get on a weekly basis, my xmas card contribution is a drop in the ocean. Plus I'm one of those sad people that cuts up last years xmas cards and uses them for gift tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Less cards and no presents. The thing is that the charity donation goes on all year and we can get what we want - there is no need to wait for some festival.

Of course, there is a winter festival for some good cheer and family fun, but the exchange of pasteboard greetings and clearing the shops of what used to be socks and after- shave but are now 'An ideal gift for Him' can be sidelined.

Of course, for kids it's great, but the effort can be put into making it good for them, not on buying some unwanted bath - salts for auntie.
Haha 'ideal gifts for him'. I've always felt sorry for men at Christmas. Remember 'driving gloves'? Who still wears gloves for driving? Men always get the worst presents. You guys are very hard to buy for. Those ideal gifts for him are always things like wine bottle stoppers, corkscrews, car log book, book of quotes to read in the bathroom, some personalised gadget you will never use.
Anybody still wear slippers? There's a whole other thread right there.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:06 AM

39,135 posts, read 10,857,554 times
Don't worry. We men don't expect good presents. we know they are bought to assuage a vague feeling of guilt if we are not bought one. Clothes are always good, if unexciting since men generally don't bother and wear old clothes they got from their late dad. Including the slippers.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Don't worry. We men don't expect good presents. we know they are bought to assuage a vague feeling of guilt if we are not bought one. Clothes are always good, if unexciting since men generally don't bother and wear old clothes they got from their late dad. Including the slippers.

Hahahahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism