U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:19 AM

3,571 posts, read 6,189,965 times

Advertisements

I enjoy the season but more for the feel of it. Not the religious side. I do not attend any nativity scenes and will continue to walk past at any festival. My daughter who's 4 knows nothing of Jesus being part of the season , she does believe in Santa but he's more prominent in the season as far as figures go in stores.

Funny story though we were decorating our tree the other night and who knows how but we had a crystal cross left over from when we first got married from my husbands parents. It was an ornament. She tried and tried to get it on the tree and it wouldn't catch a branch. She asked me what it was and I told her it was something her grandparents believed in and what it represented (as best I could to a 4 year old) but it wasn't real, like fairies and dragons. She promptly walked to the trash and threw it away and just said "well that's dumb"... I just let her and never dug it out. I'd forgot I even had it anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 02:28 PM

13,144 posts, read 19,222,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
And I find a case of rape much better than the mass destruction and death caused by war.

The point being that if you compare some thing X to something truly awful Y, then A will always come out looking relatively good. We have a phrase for things that are not that great in Ireland which goes, "Ah well.... 'least its better than a kick in the head".

Tongue out of cheek though, it is true that we are a story telling and loving species. Religious stories, metaphors, fairy tales and so forth are all good stuff in their own way. As are, say, the little moral parables that are famed throughout Indian story telling traditions.

We are a species that loves to represent the real world, life, and universe and everything in the form of storys, fables, parables, metaphors. And that's great stuff. And the Bible for example is as good a story book as any other, some versions of it written with quite beautiful and moving language and imagery and metaphor.

This is all good stuff, and even better when you compare it with something as base and repulsive as rampant human consumerism. Yet any enjoyment of it is going to be marred with the knowledge of what has been done with those stories, in the name of those stories, and because of those stories.

For me Christmas is not about consumerism, or religion, or Christ, or Santa, or fables and parables. For me Christmas is the time of the year I set aside for being the festival where one should celebrate family. A time to give thanks for our family, to our family. And I can think of no better time to host such a festival than at the end of a long year. As I say to people looking for a sound bite off me "I do not celebrate Christmas. I celebrate AT Christmas".

This does seem a good a place as any to leave this though. Sounds like something I think you will appreciate:

Tom Lehrer - A Christmas Carol - YouTube
I guess that's why I'm different. I don't believe in "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" and don't think everything related to Christianity is irredeemably tainted just because Christianity has also been used to do plenty of vile things in the past. There is no black and white in my world, just multiple shades of grey.

Like it or not, Christianity is inexorably interwoven into Western Culture. To me it's not "picking my poison", just understanding a fact of life and moving past it. Aversion and revulsion for religion solve nothing, real peace comes from rising above it, seeing it for what it is (and isn't) and coming to a place in my life where I'm not bothered by it anymore.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:35 PM

4,999 posts, read 3,889,026 times
I never mind exchanging gifts, eating and boozing which is what christmas is for most adults. I'm an atheist and ignore the hocus-pocus aspects just like most christians. Just have a good time.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:39 PM

3,518 posts, read 5,185,489 times
It's always been about family for me. I just ignore all the religious trappings. With two exceptions though. Every season, at least once, I need to hear the Hallelujah Chorus and Oh Holy Night. Just for the sheer beauty of the music.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:53 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,119,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Every season, at least once, I need to hear the Hallelujah Chorus
Best version ever! How many times I have watched this!

Christmas Food Court Flash Mob, Hallelujah Chorus - Must See! - YouTube

Old 12-20-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Best version ever! How many times I have watched this!

Christmas Food Court Flash Mob, Hallelujah Chorus - Must See! - YouTube
I know! I love that one and have watched it many times. Still, for me, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's version is the ultimate. So many beautiful voices.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:01 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,533,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
We have a phrase for things that are not that great in Ireland which goes, "Ah well.... 'least its better than a kick in the head".
Over here on the less-civilized shore, we sometimes say "better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick."

Old 12-20-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Over here on the less-civilized shore, we sometimes say "better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick."
Or my favorite, "Better than a hawk up your skirt"

Old 12-20-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Or my favorite, "Better than a hawk up your skirt"
Egads.....!

Old 12-20-2013, 04:29 PM

I guess I'm an agnostic, in that I'm not quite sure THAT I believe, or if I do, WHAT I believe. One thing I do believe, though: the question of divinity aside, the lessons that Jesus taught (or is alleged to have taught) about how we should care for ourselves and one another are powerful.

I was born into a Christian family and grew up celebrating Christmas. In fact, my earliest memory fragment -- as tiny and dim and foggy as it is -- is definitely of colored lights on a Christmas tree. All of my childhood memories of Christmas are filled with wonder and joy and love and... well, everything good.

Now, as an adult who sees the world rather differently, I still enjoy the Christmas traditions. However, I prefer to consider the entirety of The Season as I've come to call it, a period that runs from late November/early December through early January. As you all know there are many 'events' that take place during this time. For example, whether they be religious or spiritual or secular, the ceremonies, celebrations and traditions that surround the Winter Solstice reach far back into the earliest human history. To me, Winter Solstice is something that is worthy of celebration and commemoration, if anything is. And somehow it seems to me that all celebrations during The Season are interrelated in some way.

So no, I don't mind Christmas -- I still look forward to it, really enjoy experiencing and celebrating the joys of The Season as a whole with family and friends and neighbors and complete strangers. There is a lot of good in the world, and during The Season it comes out for a while. And, to be quite truthful, I'm a bit sad when its over.

I find the "Christian" (read as "Protestant fundamentalists") bickering and sniping and finger-pointing and [*ss-]holier-than-thou behaviors to be rather distasteful and occasionally even embarrassing. Yep, I'm embarrassed for them because of their arrogant ignorance.

Here's wishing The Season's very best for all of you, and for your loved ones, friends and neighbors.

-- Nighteyes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism