U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:41 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,281,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The way I see it, you can bash your head against a brick wall untill you knock yourself out or you can climb over it. Once you are at the top, you can put your hand down and help other people climb over too.
If it were a brick wall I would agree. However I do not see it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 07:12 PM

30,341 posts, read 27,804,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesfella View Post
I like it because it's a nice time to get the family together. We've been doing it for as long as I can remember. I don't care much for the religious stuff around it.
I’m in agreement here and tend to feel the same way. However I will participate in allowing “others” to feel their faith and worship. I simply don’t want to start arguments and a religious discussion that never go anywhere but downhill. I respect their feeling and hope that they do mine.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:19 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,351,112 times
Who could mind Christmas? All that free stuff! The big dinners! Enjoy!!!!

Old 12-28-2013, 08:12 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,782,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Who could mind Christmas? All that free stuff! The big dinners! Enjoy!!!!
All that free stuff? You don't actually think Santa brings the gifts, do you?

Old 12-28-2013, 09:35 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,976,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
All that free stuff? You don't actually think Santa brings the gifts, do you?
Then how did the new TV get into the bedroom on Christmas Eve ?

Old 12-29-2013, 11:09 PM

254 posts, read 560,517 times
*cough cough*

I call it PRESENT DAY. Since I grew up in a family where religion of any sort played 0 role in our lives, we mostly celebrated for the fun things! Xmas is for gift giving and eating yummy foods. Easter is about dying eggs.. or more like my mom dying the eggs and then having us play with it.

Oh, and since my family is wonderfully Chinese.. mom and dad told us from the start, there is no such thing as Santa. MOM and DAD worked to buy you those gifts. You better be grateful to us. YEAH. (also to make sure we don't get fooled by others claiming Santa exists, haha!)

Old 12-30-2013, 10:02 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,356,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon75 View Post
*cough cough*

I call it PRESENT DAY. Since I grew up in a family where religion of any sort played 0 role in our lives, we mostly celebrated for the fun things! Xmas is for gift giving and eating yummy foods. Easter is about dying eggs.. or more like my mom dying the eggs and then having us play with it.

Oh, and since my family is wonderfully Chinese.. mom and dad told us from the start, there is no such thing as Santa. MOM and DAD worked to buy you those gifts. You better be grateful to us. YEAH. (also to make sure we don't get fooled by others claiming Santa exists, haha!)
Yeah, no Santa in my family, either. Instead, we would come down the stairs on Christmas morning and find a small mountain of gifts tagged as "From: Richard Dawkins."

Heh heh, just kidding.

As the only child, my family played the "Santa" game right up until I graduated high school. It wasn't because anyone believed in Santa, it was to keep alive a tradition, a ritual I suppose. Without any other kids to spoil, I was the target until I left home. It was great for me since the entire family bought presents for ME, woohoo! Lots of them were tagged as being "From: Santa" but it was just part of the ritual.

Of course now, I'm regretting being the only child because, as my family grows ever older, I'm realizing I'll be utterly alone in late adulthood *sigh* There's a price to be paid for everything, I guess.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:56 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,085,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Of course now, I'm regretting being the only child because, as my family grows ever older, I'm realizing I'll be utterly alone in late adulthood *sigh* There's a price to be paid for everything, I guess.
It's a similar problem being the youngest, especially in my case, as I'm the youngest sibling by 10 years. With that much of a gap, I very nearly WAS raised as an only child. True, my "youngest" brother was around, sort of, until I was 8 or so, but he was in an entirely different world, gone doing mysterious quasi-adult things most of the time. My brothers are more like uncles than brothers to me.

I'll never forget my father's funeral; his youngest sister was the last of his siblings and she wept over his casket. I realized then, that's likely going to be me: the last to turn out the lights.

I've been an "orphan" since I was about 45 years old. It isn't as bad as it sounds, because people dying in the ordinary course of events is at least expected and timely, at least if you're remotely dealing in reality. Even my mother, who died in a car accident, was 82 when it happened, and she probably didn't have much longer as the accident merely helped an aneurism along that was already there and going to burst at some point.

What's a lot harder, to me at least, is people dying untimely, like my wife and oldest brother and others I have known. It interrupts the normal operation of the cycle of life and is nearly always more bereavement than you "priced in" to your life. And it always seems to happen to people who love life and are happy with it and are full-on contributors to it, and thus, more's the loss. Whiners, on the other hand, seemingly never die.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:26 AM

878 posts, read 775,145 times
I don't mind, I just don't care. Christmas is about money these days anyway. I don't much take part. I got J a pair of snuggly pajamas and she got me a pair of diabetic-friendly slippers. But we get each other gifts at other times for no reason at all.

I say "Merry Christmas" to some people but "Happy Holidays," doesn't get my panties into a twist. I just don't care. I worked at home on Christmas day. BFD.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:28 AM

878 posts, read 775,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
What, you don't have any friends? If, like me, you have no family to be with, whether by circumstances or choice, why not be with good friends?

Choose a family. I did. Luckily, they chose me, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism