U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:51 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,353,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
What, you don't have any friends? If, like me, you have no family to be with, whether by circumstances or choice, why not be with good friends?

Choose a family. I did. Luckily, they chose me, too.
I've had to move around too much to keep many friends. The longest I've ever lived in one place was in college, and that's the most transient period of most people's lives.

I also spent my adolescence in a tiny town of 400 people. The friends I had there couldn't move away fast enough when we graduated - now they're scattered to the four winds.

In a city, it's different since most people you know don't necessarily leave town. They might move somewhere else in town, but only some will move somewhere else entirely. But in a small blue collar town where there are no more jobs, yeah ... off they go.

I still talk to friends I had in college and a few from high school, but it's not like they're all clustered in one place. Sure, I would love to have a nice family of friends. I dream of that.

But just about everyone I knew or still know decided to go the traditional route of getting married young and having kids soon after. You find out quick that friends don't have a lot of time for you when they have families.

PLUS, I'm disabled - I have a neurological condition that limits my mobility, and I'm in pain quite often which limits even further what I can do. In other words, I'm not exactly a barrel full of monkeys where fun is concerned and that puts a severe damper on making new friends - much less keeping them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 08:54 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It's a similar problem being the youngest, especially in my case, as I'm the youngest sibling by 10 years. With that much of a gap, I very nearly WAS raised as an only child. True, my "youngest" brother was around, sort of, until I was 8 or so, but he was in an entirely different world, gone doing mysterious quasi-adult things most of the time. My brothers are more like uncles than brothers to me.

I'll never forget my father's funeral; his youngest sister was the last of his siblings and she wept over his casket. I realized then, that's likely going to be me: the last to turn out the lights.

I've been an "orphan" since I was about 45 years old. It isn't as bad as it sounds, because people dying in the ordinary course of events is at least expected and timely, at least if you're remotely dealing in reality. Even my mother, who died in a car accident, was 82 when it happened, and she probably didn't have much longer as the accident merely helped an aneurism along that was already there and going to burst at some point.

What's a lot harder, to me at least, is people dying untimely, like my wife and oldest brother and others I have known. It interrupts the normal operation of the cycle of life and is nearly always more bereavement than you "priced in" to your life. And it always seems to happen to people who love life and are happy with it and are full-on contributors to it, and thus, more's the loss. Whiners, on the other hand, seemingly never die.
My 22-year-old daughter (only child, and her father and I split when she was 8) took photos of her Christmas presents last week to show her friends that her mother still writes not only "From Santa" on her presents, but "From Mrs. Santa", "From the Elves", and "From the Reindeer".

Hey, it amuses me. Of course, Santa/Mrs. Santa, the Elves and the Reindeer give her socks and tchotchkes, while Mama gave her the expensive gift.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:48 PM

741 posts, read 1,388,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
In my perfect world, there would be no Christmas season at all. Go from Thanksgiving to New Year for 'holidays'. No decorations, no music, no mad consumerism.
Are you forgetting that the reason for the season is the Winter Solstice?
We celebrate the returning of the Sun, the light of the world, the giver of life.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:14 PM

48 posts, read 53,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’m in agreement here and tend to feel the same way. However I will participate in allowing “others” to feel their faith and worship. I simply don’t want to start arguments and a religious discussion that never go anywhere but downhill. I respect their feeling and hope that they do mine.
Oh yeah, I'm fine with all that. Whatever gets you through the day.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:41 AM

2,384 posts, read 1,556,398 times
I don't mind as long as they're not obnoxious or clearly hypocritical which isn't many of them. If someone goes out of their way to tell you they're Christian. Watch out! Most good reasonable people are not obnoxious about religion. Most probably pay lip service because too many dummies think being an atheist/agnostic means the person is evil. They've been brainwashed, pure and simple. And they are simple. lol

Old 02-20-2014, 02:20 PM

8,877 posts, read 2,756,449 times
I initially read this as "Christians" instead of "Christmas." LOL!

I was going to reply I can stand them in small doses, LOL>

Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I initially read this as "Christians" instead of "Christmas." LOL!

I was going to reply I can stand them in small doses, LOL>
Color me stupid, I did read it as Christians. Lol. I don't mind Christmas, again as long as it's a live and live situation.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:50 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,181,012 times
I was never really religious ever before I became agnostic but my only issue with the christian holidays is the commercialization. When did the birth of christ morph into a story about a fat guy in a red suit? I realize that religion isn't usually fun for kids and putting a youthful spin on it can help but how can you stray so far from your beliefs? Crazy!

Old 02-26-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I was never really religious ever before I became agnostic but my only issue with the christian holidays is the commercialization. When did the birth of christ morph into a story about a fat guy in a red suit? I realize that religion isn't usually fun for kids and putting a youthful spin on it can help but how can you stray so far from your beliefs? Crazy!
Santa is just another holdover from pre-xtian days. He's a right jolly old elf, remember?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 PM

16,088 posts, read 17,884,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Interesting articles on the origin of the Santa Claus of today.

St. Nicholas to Santa: The Surprising Origins of Mr. Claus

The History and Origins of Santa Claus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism