Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:09 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

Call me a witch and burn me if you must but I don't mind the religious stuff of Christmas.

Do I think it literally happened? Hell No!

But I do find the whole nativity story and accompanying traditions culturally rich and far superior in quality, value and meaning than all the mass consumerism B.S. we get saturated with around this time of year.

When I have a choice between a virgin having a baby god and putting it in a manger under a new magic star on a silent night or black Friday mobs, maxed-out credit cards, piles of plastic Chinese $#!* from Santa Clause TM and neverending commericals with those damn canned sleigh bell background music, bring out the frankincense, read a chapter from Luke and throw a yule log on the fire!

You don't have to believe to enjoy it.

rant over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Christmas is still about Santa Claus and presents for all kids and a large percentage of adults. You have to admit there is an awful lot of beautiful music surrounding Christmas.

Or you could just be a Scrooge and not give a crap.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Personally I'll take santa and the elves over the silly manger story.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:20 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
In my perfect world, there would be no Christmas season at all. Go from Thanksgiving to New Year for 'holidays'. No decorations, no music, no mad consumerism.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:33 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
I celebrate Christmas, but in a secular way.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:51 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Most Christmas traditions have Pagan roots anyways (evergreens, etc)....I love Christmas, and to me it's about family, friends, and celebrating being together. I think holidays are fascinating in general, and how certain customs and traditions came to be.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:16 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
I used to love Christmas - and then I became an adult.

So much for that.

My mother and I were discussing just the other day how we both miss the excitement and magic Christmas holds for children. Wouldn't it be nice to recapture that feeling?

Alas, age does something to the mind, makes it so hard to really feel excited about anything, especially not in the way Christmas made children feel.

Now, with a dwindling family that doesn't lift a finger for Christmas anymore (we don't even put up a tree), with no up-and-coming children to "wow" with Christmas magic, and just about everyone living on fixed incomes, I could do without Christmas.

I would miss it whether it stayed or went extinct tomorrow - but at least without it, I wouldn't have to feel like the person alone in a bar on Christmas eve drinking watered-down beer and wondering where it all went so wrong.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:11 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Call me a witch and burn me if you must but I don't mind the religious stuff of Christmas.

Do I think it literally happened? Hell No!

But I do find the whole nativity story and accompanying traditions culturally rich and far superior in quality, value and meaning than all the mass consumerism B.S. we get saturated with around this time of year.

When I have a choice between a virgin having a baby god and putting it in a manger under a new magic star on a silent night or black Friday mobs, maxed-out credit cards, piles of plastic Chinese $#!* from Santa Clause TM and neverending commericals with those damn canned sleigh bell background music, bring out the frankincense, read a chapter from Luke and throw a yule log on the fire!

You don't have to believe to enjoy it.

rant over
I can appreciate that. while I know it's bunkum, I can see the charm of a a sliced -off shack with the doddering old Joseph who can't do it so God must've and the teenaged Mary (he'd be on trial today) with the the snow on the roof and the collection of farm animals, the tinsel star over the top and the little musical box with the angels going round tinkle tinkle tinkle.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:19 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I used to love Christmas - and then I became an adult.

So much for that.

My mother and I were discussing just the other day how we both miss the excitement and magic Christmas holds for children. Wouldn't it be nice to recapture that feeling?

Alas, age does something to the mind, makes it so hard to really feel excited about anything, especially not in the way Christmas made children feel.

Now, with a dwindling family that doesn't lift a finger for Christmas anymore (we don't even put up a tree), with no up-and-coming children to "wow" with Christmas magic, and just about everyone living on fixed incomes, I could do without Christmas.

I would miss it whether it stayed or went extinct tomorrow - but at least without it, I wouldn't have to feel like the person alone in a bar on Christmas eve drinking watered-down beer and wondering where it all went so wrong.
Going to a bar that serves watered-down beer was a step in that wrong direction.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:28 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I can appreciate that. while I know it's bunkum, I can see the charm of a a sliced -off shack with the doddering old Joseph who can't do it so God must've and the teenaged Mary (he'd be on trial today) with the the snow on the roof and the collection of farm animals, the tinsel star over the top and the little musical box with the angels going round tinkle tinkle tinkle.
Try taking it all in with a bottle of good vodka, write down what happens. If you do, my great, great, great grandkids will celebrating Arequipamas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Going to a bar that serves watered-down beer was a step in that wrong direction.
yep. Crappy alcohol doth not a merry Christmas make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism