U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 01:30 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,272,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
OP, you have the right attitude when you said you supposed it was sent with good intentions. As a Christian, I would never send a card like this to an atheist relative. However, I have other relatives that would.

From their point of view, you're headed off a cliff toward eternal damnation. That's not meant to get anyone upset, I'm just trying to give you their point of view. They're trying to stop that. It doesn't matter if you don't believe or if you think it's irrational. They believe it.

They view it as love or kindness instead of intrusion and fantasy. I think older people are worse in this regards, maybe because they are headed toward the end of their lives and their beliefs are magnified.

Unfortunately people that send a card like this will likely continue to do so, even if they know it's offensive. To them, the ends justify the means.

I know many here get upset over this, but try to take it in the spirit it's given and just toss it. It's not going to stop. Why get upset and get yourself worked up? It's just a card. You don't even have to read it.
And that's the problem - once that conclusion has been reached, what line can there possibly be that is not to be crossed?

It is a very small step indeed from "They're going to hell!" to "I must save their souls, no matter the means!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 01:47 PM

618 posts, read 452,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No, just because they are the dominate religion in this country does not excuse this type of peddling of snake oil. What if their 'world view' was abhorrent to you, and in the minority of world views, do the still get the same pass of "really trying to help you"?
Hello Asheville Native.

To your question above, I would first say that I'm not sure what (if anything) I would find "abhorrent." That said, in terms of giving the same latitude to minority opinions, I would say "yes." A former coworker of mine once believed that we knew each other in a past life...that I was perhaps one of her kin who had fallen away and been reincarnated separate from the rest of the family. In order to "help" my odds of a better result next life around she gave me some books written by her Hindu "master." I told her politely (but frankly) that I doubted this was the case, but I thanked her nonetheless and took the literature she offered. I would like to say that I read every word of it, but I did not get through all of the books before being distracted by something else.

My current coworker thinks I would make an excellent Muslim, and we have had more than one discussion on the topic. She has always been respectful and I have always been honest in these exchanges.

Quote:
Christians are not exempt from being rude, pretentious, and completely out of line when they foist their views upon others.
I agree with this as well. There is no excuse for being rude or pretentious of (by definition) out of line. I'll give you an example. Two young men from the LDS church came to my door. I invited then in and we sat for an hour or two discussing and debating their ideas. I did not see them as doing me any harm and I truly believe they were well-intentioned. The LDS church also spent millions of dollars on their campaign against CA Prop 8. That is unacceptable in my eyes, because they have transitioned into doing "harm" - in this case attempting to deny homosexuals their civil rights.

If I received the same card as the OP from my grandmother (were she alive) I believe I would just smile and shake my head. If that card came from someone else - a stranger or church organization - then I would likely find it offensive. That's just my personal take.

Thanks.

Last edited by Hyker; 12-22-2013 at 03:15 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 10:04 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,354,235 times
I would have found the most secular card I could possibly get my hands on and then return the favor with little drawings, quotes from Richard Dawkins, and perhaps a brief scientific analysis of where our good food comes from. I would also try to find a stamp with Charles Darwin's face on it.

Let's see how they like it when the shoe is on the other foot.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:12 AM

9,760 posts, read 6,723,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I would have found the most secular card I could possibly get my hands on and then return the favor with little drawings, quotes from Richard Dawkins, and perhaps a brief scientific analysis of where our good food comes from. I would also try to find a stamp with Charles Darwin's face on it.

Let's see how they like it when the shoe is on the other foot.
YOu are descending to the level of this Xstian and becoming equally fanatical about your views. I say ignore!

Old 12-26-2013, 10:17 AM

14,191 posts, read 9,079,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You are descending to the level of this Xstian and becoming equally fanatical about your views. I say ignore!
Not quite. He is responding in kind -- he wouldn't do that unsolicited.

Nor do I think he's doing more than fantasizing. Like saying you'd like to bop someone in the head when in fact you never would actually do that.

It is the person who is minding their own business who is the one in a position to be violated here. What some Christians do not comprehend is that other people's spirituality or lack thereof are NOT their business.

I never understood even in my days as a Christian, why no one was really content to let the matter of people's spiritual well-being arise organically and voluntarily, as that'd be the only context in which someone would be open and receptive anyhow. I always favored living in such a way as to make others want what you had. If you couldn't do that, maybe it wasn't "all that" in the first place.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:39 AM

9,760 posts, read 6,723,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Not quite. He is responding in kind -- he wouldn't do that unsolicited.

Nor do I think he's doing more than fantasizing. Like saying you'd like to bop someone in the head when in fact you never would actually do that.

It is the person who is minding their own business who is the one in a position to be violated here. What some Christians do not comprehend is that other people's spirituality or lack thereof are NOT their business.

I never understood even in my days as a Christian, why no one was really content to let the matter of people's spiritual well-being arise organically and voluntarily, as that'd be the only context in which someone would be open and receptive anyhow. I always favored living in such a way as to make others want what you had. If you couldn't do that, maybe it wasn't "all that" in the first place.
Some Christians feel they have to convert others.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:01 PM

17,853 posts, read 12,218,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Dude. We get it. We get the spirit of the card/letter. But for goodness sake. These people trying to fit a sermon onto/into a card or letter. Faq dude. In the first letter they're faqing drawing diagrams. To me ( me only) it almost looks like the person is having a psychotic episode. Really. The note/card is a tad bit much of overkill.
My first thought was mental illness as well.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:44 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times
Quote:
Some Christians feel they have to convert others.
Yet I doubt they would be too happy with another religion trying to convert them.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:50 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,212,035 times
If you know every card is going to be like this why not just toss it in the trash unopened the day you get it or write return to sender on it.
That to me would be better than whining on a public forum how "terrible" your relatives are because they had the nerve to actually take the time to send you a card to let you know they are thinking about you.
Yes, absolutely the first thing you should do is post the card on a public forum to prove how awful they are.

It really should be the fact that they are thoughtful enough to send the card when the content is something that you don't agree with.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:53 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,354,235 times
Quote:
YOu are descending to the level of this Xstian and becoming equally fanatical about your views. I say ignore!
What I said was a joke ...

Reversing an extreme is often seen as humor because it amplifies the extremity of the original point (or card, in this case).

I thought the giveaway that I wasn't being serious was the stamp with Charles Darwin's face on it.

I guess not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism