Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 08:05 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
OP, you have the right attitude when you said you supposed it was sent with good intentions. As a Christian, I would never send a card like this to an atheist relative. However, I have other relatives that would.

From their point of view, you're headed off a cliff toward eternal damnation. That's not meant to get anyone upset, I'm just trying to give you their point of view. They're trying to stop that. It doesn't matter if you don't believe or if you think it's irrational. They believe it.

They view it as love or kindness instead of intrusion and fantasy. I think older people are worse in this regards, maybe because they are headed toward the end of their lives and their beliefs are magnified.

Unfortunately people that send a card like this will likely continue to do so, even if they know it's offensive. To them, the ends justify the means.

I know many here get upset over this, but try to take it in the spirit it's given and just toss it. It's not going to stop. Why get upset and get yourself worked up? It's just a card. You don't even have to read it.
Dude. We get it. We get the spirit of the card/letter. But for goodness sake. These people trying to fit a sermon onto/into a card or letter. Faq dude. In the first letter they're faqing drawing diagrams. To me ( me only) it almost looks like the person is having a psychotic episode. Really. The note/card is a tad bit much of overkill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 08:15 AM

618 posts, read 540,664 times
Hello all.

I think Mike930 raises a valid point...in the end, they really are just trying to help you, based on their world-view. Of course the same could be said of the Jehovah's Witnesses that come knocking on your door, which is why I try to receive them with the same patience that Sweetbottoms is obviously showing with this well-intentioned card sender. The card is a bit over-the-top, but what's to be done?

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:26 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
What we are doing. While two wrongs don't make a right and Tuo quoque is a fallacy, this sort of helpful religious nagging is perfect justification for our ongoing militancy. It is necessary for people to hear what we have to say.

They think they are saving us from damnation; we believe that we are saving them from idiocy. We have the additional justification that we are peddling reason and they are not.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:02 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello all.

I think Mike930 raises a valid point...in the end, they really are just trying to help you, based on their world-view. Of course the same could be said of the Jehovah's Witnesses that come knocking on your door, which is why I try to receive them with the same patience that Sweetbottoms is obviously showing with this well-intentioned card sender. The card is a bit over-the-top, but what's to be done?

Thanks.
Well. No promises but. With the note. Send a note back thanking this person for the kind note that they sent you. And say "I'm assuming that I am in your thoughts and prayers." But state that that there was so much writing on the cards that the exact message what's hard to understand. In the case of the diagrams. Say they we're very cute and appreciate the effort I put into them, but again say that you're confused about their meaning. Basically send a letter back acting confused about "the message".
Will this tact work? Actually probably not. It looks like a pretty far gone case at this point. But one can always try.

As in general with cards like this. You are correct people will receive these and they'll have to deal with them however they wish to.
Personally for me. Its a good tangible case study on how fervent and frantic folks can be about "saving" others.
From my point of view. This almost looks like some type of psychopathy that needs to be dealt with professionally.
Granted I was born in basically raised in the Northeast. Mostly Massachusetts. And for the most part we keep a lot of personal belief to ourselves, even among our extended families. Perhaps it's just a cultural thing.
So to me this whole episode seems bizarre.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:05 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Yeah well that really sucks, I get stuff like that too but I haven't completely come out of the closet yet as being agnostic/atheist.

But get this......my own Father sent me a birthday card this year and here's part of what he said:

"I wish you could have all the joy and benefits I have by reading and believing God's word"........WHAT? Here's the part that gets me.......he doesn't even know I'm agnostic, he just thinks I'm not a good enough Christian like he is!!! Yes, he is the be-all end-all of Christians. And people wonder why I don't speak to this man.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:12 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Please forgive me for LMAO, Sweet, but that is just too much!

I wish we had some sort of "Thread of the Year" poll or compilation here, because yours would win hands down!

Enclosed with this post is my atheist-help. Heh!

Old 12-22-2013, 11:33 AM

618 posts, read 540,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
this sort of helpful religious nagging is perfect justification for our ongoing militancy. It is necessary for people to hear what we have to say.
Hello AREQUIPA.

I would not deny that it is important for people to hear what you have to say; therefore it is incumbent upon you to say things in a fashion that allows them to be heard. I have no doubt that you have sufficient experience to know that this is incompatible with "militancy" as most would understand the term, for information presented in such a way as to offend or threaten another's core values too suddenly will inevitably result in the receiver immediately raising his or her defences so as to block out the information. Additionally I would contend that there are some better left to their religious convictions. For me this would include those who do no harm in the practice of their faith. That said, I also recognize that where one draws the line of "harm" is something of a personal judgement call. For me, I see no harm in religious Christmas cards (even if overly preachy) or an occasional knock on my door - particularly when accepting the card with a grain of salt maintains peace within my family.

Quote:
They think they are saving us from damnation; we believe that we are saving them from idiocy. We have the additional justification that we are peddling reason and they are not.
An argument of "additional justification" that is based on the views held specifically by those on your side of the debate rings hollow to me. I am sure that a theist would claim the "additional justification" of having providence on their side.

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:48 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Dude. We get it. We get the spirit of the card/letter. But for goodness sake. These people trying to fit a sermon onto/into a card or letter. Faq dude. In the first letter they're faqing drawing diagrams. To me ( me only) it almost looks like the person is having a psychotic episode. Really. The note/card is a tad bit much of overkill.
I agree with you. I think it is over the top and overkill. As I said, I wouldn't send such a card. My point was that there were some really angry reactions (which I understand) but the card sender didn't do it with malicious intent.

Quote:
Hello all.

Thanks.
To me, the card is somewhat benign, but the door knockers are intrusive. Personally, that's where I draw the line. The door knockers are taking your time and at times in your face. The card can be thrown away. If you receive the door knockers with patience, you're a better person than I.

I probably abhor the door knockers as much as you all.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:06 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Wow...that shows no respect for "you" I get religious cards from my in-laws who are Catholic. I respect their view but they don't try to force it on me.(there is no additional hand written stuff) I just take it as a nice greeting. If I got what you got I would have to call them up and tell them to either accept me the way I am and not force their views on me or stop sending me anything.

Next you I would return the favor

A few ideas:

Old 12-22-2013, 12:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Hello all.

Thanks.
No, just because they are the dominate religion in this country does not excuse this type of peddling of snake oil. What if their 'world view' was abhorrent to you, and in the minority of world views, do the still get the same pass of "really trying to help you"?

Christians are not exempt from being rude, pretentious, and completely out of line when they foist their views upon others. If the relative sends a crude child like doodle about christian belief, or the street preacher screaming (through a megaphone) about 'your all going to hell', the always get a by. What if the stick figures depicted sexual practices that they believed were proper and some that should never be used. Still OK? (of course it would be more amusing)

I am sick and tired of theists getting a by no matter how absurd their view, yet tell someone you are an atheist and automatically you are condemned and told to shut-up you 'god hater'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism