U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 01:47 PM

3,567 posts, read 6,183,912 times

Advertisements

I thought I would share with you all Christmas as the only non practicing Christian on my fathers side of the family. Don't get me wrong we get a tree and presents but when I send out cards they are non religious and a simply Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, what have you... Every year the conversion starts and I wanted to share the and guilt trip (which I am not effected by) I receive on Easter and mostly Christmas. This is a true honest card I opened just today. While ment, I suppose with good intentions I find it tedious? I know the member who send this mean well and perhaps don't in their eyes see it how I do so I simply choose to stash it on the table til after the holidays and it goes in the trash. So, just when you think you've got it bad.. Get a load of this, which changes every year Where do I even hang this

P.s the Santa hats I put myself to simply block out names

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 02:38 PM

9,881 posts, read 6,747,934 times
With friends or family like that the rate of Atheism would be very high in the population.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:42 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,978,161 times
Wow

Next year, watch for their card and write "Return to sender" across the envelope and drop it back in the mail.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:52 PM

3,567 posts, read 6,183,912 times
Sorry for any run ons and lack of punctuation my fingers + this tiny keyboard are just honestly here to drive me insane. Yah I'm polite because she's older, a different generation than mine and I know back in her day you just were (religious) . So I shrug and toss it aside. Can't wait for Easter... The cards are like getting my own personal bible.. Just about as long too! I mean who sends a copy of a card IN a card lol.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:58 PM

4,514 posts, read 3,921,774 times
oh my

My inlaws used to do something like this years ago (not this extreme!) because they didn't like the idea that their son married an atheist. It was all about keeping with god and jesus and not straying.

Didn't work. They have since ceased trying.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:53 PM

56,201 posts, read 54,662,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Sorry for any run ons and lack of punctuation my fingers + this tiny keyboard are just honestly here to drive me insane. Yah I'm polite because she's older, a different generation than mine and I know back in her day you just were (religious) . So I shrug and toss it aside. Can't wait for Easter... The cards are like getting my own personal bible.. Just about as long too! I mean who sends a copy of a card IN a card lol.
I find it more appalling that the person who sent you the card misspelled "Calvary".

Seriously, that card on the top, especially, is obnoxious, and I am not an atheist. I see that I got my born-again uncle's annual Christmas letter in the mail. I haven't opened it yet. It will be chock full of bible verses and whatnot, I know.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:34 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,026,175 times
Quote:
Tell your family you're very excited about Easter....the time when Jesus leaves his tomb, and if he sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:17 AM

39,206 posts, read 10,887,543 times
Every year I get a calendar passed onto me. I hang it up and write 'To do' on it as, otherwise, I forget everything.

The picture hanging up right now is a sort of photoshop of a Russian - icon Mary and pensioner - Joseph plus a cocoon with a baby's face and a halo cut and pasted into kiddy pic of a barn with a few farm animals.

Underneath is Luke 2. 4 -7. The mild preaching at least reminds me what a fairy -tale it all is.

Quote:
Sorry for any run ons and lack of punctuation my fingers + this tiny keyboard are just honestly here to drive me insane. ...
I had the same trub. I got a cheap keyboard and plugged it into the USB. My typing is still crap, but it doesn't do my brain up.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:44 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,673,793 times
Quote:
HOLY

Wait. Wait. Wait. Your telling me that, that first card/note isn't from a grade school kid????

WTF!!!!!

Yeah. I got some off relatives...but.....yeah. Nothing like that.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:19 AM

2,743 posts, read 1,772,598 times
OP, you have the right attitude when you said you supposed it was sent with good intentions. As a Christian, I would never send a card like this to an atheist relative. However, I have other relatives that would.

From their point of view, you're headed off a cliff toward eternal damnation. That's not meant to get anyone upset, I'm just trying to give you their point of view. They're trying to stop that. It doesn't matter if you don't believe or if you think it's irrational. They believe it.

They view it as love or kindness instead of intrusion and fantasy. I think older people are worse in this regards, maybe because they are headed toward the end of their lives and their beliefs are magnified.

Unfortunately people that send a card like this will likely continue to do so, even if they know it's offensive. To them, the ends justify the means.

I know many here get upset over this, but try to take it in the spirit it's given and just toss it. It's not going to stop. Why get upset and get yourself worked up? It's just a card. You don't even have to read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism