U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 11:34 PM

734 posts, read 1,471,292 times

Advertisements

I could really care less what people think about the fact that I'm an Atheist. If they hate me for it...so be it. My co-workers all know that I don't believe and I get along with them all, so I don't believe it's an issue. I suppose it's not such a big deal because I am near the edge of it here in NWA, plus...my county is the 2nd least Religious county in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 07:40 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,117,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
There was no disagreement, as the comments were simply expressed as if “that’s just the way it is” and moved on to other topics.
So you call that a "hateful" comment on her point?

I think you are being way too sensitive.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:13 AM

30,348 posts, read 27,825,650 times
^^^
You might be right….. After thinking things over it could be that for the last several years of conversations there is an accumulative effect where I’m simply tired of the BS comments.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:17 AM

30,348 posts, read 27,825,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
I could really care less what people think about the fact that I'm an Atheist. If they hate me for it...so be it. My co-workers all know that I don't believe and I get along with them all, so I don't believe it's an issue. I suppose it's not such a big deal because I am near the edge of it here in NWA, plus...my county is the 2nd least Religious county in the state.
That area of NWA is still very religious compared to most areas outside the bible belt. I've visited the area over the years and find I don't care to live there. The area is nice but the people in general are not what I'd want for a neighbor or friend. IMPO

Old 12-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
You might be right….. After thinking things over it could be that for the last several years of conversations there is an accumulative effect where I’m simply tired of the BS comments.
AksarbeN, you are not alone. Many people, including my sweet wife, feel stress because of the actions or opinions of other family members.

If your sister is a religious fundamentalist, I can understand that she can cause stress to other family members. I often look at the Judaism forum where there are a couple Orthodox Jews who post a lot and their comments really seem to irritate some of the other Jews who post there. Reading some of their very entertaining postings may help you to accept your sister's views with a smile on your face.

Last edited by hiker45; 12-26-2013 at 10:50 AM..

Old 12-26-2013, 11:23 PM

734 posts, read 1,471,292 times
Quote:
That area of NWA is still very religious compared to most areas outside the bible belt. I've visited the area over the years and find I don't care to live there. The area is nice but the people in general are not what I'd want for a neighbor or friend. IMPO
I don't seem to have a problem with Religion here, but still I'm not too fond of the people, so I know exactly what you mean. Where I came from in Kansas is only three hours away, but even so...they are very quick to put you into a category here, or should I say...they act like they know you without even talking to you. I've been told that I was gay by my neighbor and someone also told my co-worker "I bet you get sexually harassed by him, don't you?" Both of which definitely aren't true. They're such loving people here in the Bible Belt.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:07 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,359,734 times
I live smack-dab in the middle of the place Obama was talking about when he said:

"And it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations," Obama said.

I know Obama was heavily criticized for that comment - but like it or not, the president was 110% sccurate. As near as I can tell, I'm the only liberal, atheist, foreign-born person within 50 miles of where I'm currently sitting. It's one reason why I spend so much of my time on the internet instead of out mingling with the "locals."

Religion is everywhere here - even the local newspapers look more like a church program pamphlet than an actual agency for reporting news. On Saturday, they give over two pages right in the middle for nothing but religion.

Plus at least once a week (and sometimes more often) these newspapers run an editorial written by a local resident - usually some wild-eyed small town pastor - going on a spittle-flinging rant about homosexuals.

I make no secret about what I am and write editorials myself - though whether they get published is hit or miss. I feel like someone has to present the other side of the argument because obviously none of the locals do.

Fortunately I'm only here temporarily because I could never call this place home. I am simply too far afield of their beliefs and worldviews. I does make for a rather lonely experience, though, since if you're not going to church or participating in some church activity, there is nothing to do here - and no one to do it with.

Ahh, but if not for the wonders of the internet ....

Old 12-28-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I live smack-dab in the middle of the place Obama was talking about when he said:

"And it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations,"
I think he was referring to Chicago and Detroit, where the people are definitely religious, frustrated, and have guns coming out the wazoo.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:24 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,923,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I think he was referring to Chicago and Detroit, where the people are definitely religious, frustrated, and have guns coming out the wazoo.
I don't know about Detroit, but...

Not Chicago. I lived there and while there are religious people around, there are plenty of atheists and non-religious folks. Also, Chicago is quite diverse in terms of non-Christian religions. There is a huge Indian community and several Hindu Temples. There are plenty of Muslims as well and even some pagans around.

As for the guns, until recently, Chicago had rather strict gun laws. There was a gun registry in place in 1968 that was just abolished recently.

Chicago Gun Registry, In Place Since 1968, Abolished In Victory For Gun Groups

I suspect he was referring to Texas and other parts of the Bible belt.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Chicago is quite diverse in terms of non-Christian religions. There is a huge Indian community and several Hindu Temples. There are plenty of Muslims as well
They may not be Christians, but they are plenty religious, just like Obama said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
As for the guns, until recently, Chicago had rather strict gun laws.
From what I read, there is plenty of gunplay in Chicago. Obama knew what he was talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism