U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:50 PM

16,104 posts, read 17,912,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
They may not be Christians, but they are plenty religious, just like Obama said.

From what I read, there is plenty of gunplay in Chicago. Obama knew what he was talking about.
I lived in Chicago for over 30 years. There are areas of Chicago with gangs and guns, but the majority of Chicago does NOT have any gun play.

The only gun I heard shot in all my time in Chicago was when we had to have a deer put down that had been hit by a train. We did have guns confiscated when the kids at the high school I taught at went through metal detectors or when a security guard managed to see one, but I never heard a shot at the school or near it.

As for the religion, in all the time I lived there, I never had a problem with anyone and I am an open atheist. No one ever discussed religion at all. No one had any problem with the diversity in the area. We had very few of the fundamentalists who cling tightly to their religion and try to bring everyone into their faith. Seriously, Chicago is a big city and not prone to the bible belt's prejudices.

Here in Texas, people tell me I am going to hell all the time and they told my Hindu dil that as well. I live in the Houston area and my granddaughter has been proselytized since we moved here when she was 5. Neither of my kids who were brought up in Chicago had that experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 02:41 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,358,289 times
Quote:
I think he was referring to Chicago and Detroit, where the people are definitely religious, frustrated, and have guns coming out the wazoo.
No, if you read the entire speech, you'll see that he was talking about Western PA.

"You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

Old 12-29-2013, 08:25 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,115,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
There are areas of Chicago with gangs and guns
Yep, that is Obama's idea of America.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."
Sure sounds like Detroit to me

Old 12-29-2013, 08:59 AM

17,271 posts, read 19,566,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I've lived in a new area for about a year and a half, and many people here are very religious and outspoken about their beliefs. And in conversations with many people here, it seems they just assume that I OF COURSE believe in god/prayer/Bible etc.
I do feel for you. I am fortunate to live in an area (Washington, D.C.) where people generally don't wear their religion or lack thereof on their sleeves and it's considered a totally private matter. People will actually roll their eyes or even smirk if someone mentions God too much around here. (Except the U.S. President can get away with it, depending on party affiliation. lol.)

If I lived in the Bible belt, then I would politely let people know that I am non-Christian and non-religious whenever the subject came up. That should be the end of it. What else is there to say?

Old 12-29-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
people tell me I am going to hell all the time and they told my Hindu dil that as well.
I hope they are right. When I get there, it will be nice to have someone interesting to talk to.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:10 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,091,096 times
Quote:
I lived in Chicago for over 30 years. There are areas of Chicago with gangs and guns, but the majority of Chicago does NOT have any gun play.
Poor areas of Chicago proper have made the city the national Murder Capital by some measures, but I grew up in the west suburbs and recently lived just over the Indiana border in the south burbs south of Gary and I would characterize those areas, then and now, as more your standard reserved conservative midwestern ethos -- no more guns and god than anywhere else in the midwest.

Weak points: lots of helmet-haired housewives that can seem rather Stepford-ish at times, and certainly cliquish, though not to the extent you see in the Deep South. Not much going on if you're not a member of the Lyons Club or some local church or like to play bingo. Egalitarian / inclusive / progressive sentiment is hard to come by, except in inner cities or near some college campuses.

Strong points: solid work ethic, and dependable, loyal friends if you can fit in or at least tolerate the zeitgeist.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:22 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,358,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I do feel for you. I am fortunate to live in an area (Washington, D.C.) where people generally don't wear their religion or lack thereof on their sleeves and it's considered a totally private matter. People will actually roll their eyes or even smirk if someone mentions God too much around here. (Except the U.S. President can get away with it, depending on party affiliation. lol.)

If I lived in the Bible belt, then I would politely let people know that I am non-Christian and non-religious whenever the subject came up. That should be the end of it. What else is there to say?
When I lived in the Bible Belt of North Carolina, I remember a small group of private pagans were getting together to celebrate the spring equinox. By "private" pagans, I simply mean a group of pagan friends who decided to meet that day, not some kind of organized pagan celebration or event.

Somehow, the fundie Christians found out about it, so instead of just letting the handful of pagans alone, the fundies lined the street next to the field where the pagans were meeting and shouted Bible verses at them until the pagans were finally driven off - at which point the fundies cheered.

I saw it all happen with my own eyes since my pharmacy was located right next to the field so when I came out, I noticed the commotion.

Unfortunately some of these people don't know the meaning of "what else is there to say" because they'll beat a dead horse until they either win or until the dead horse has been beaten into its subatomic parts.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
until the dead horse has been beaten into its subatomic parts.
There would be no better place to do it.

The Deep South is where we invented the Atomic Bomb that saved so many American lives in World War II.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:00 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,283,539 times
Quote:
I think he was referring to Chicago and Detroit, where the people are definitely religious, frustrated, and have guns coming out the wazoo.
Unless Chicago and Detroit are small towns in Pennsylvania, he wasn't.

Quote:
You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.
Anyone who was paying enough attention to remember the remark should recall that it was made about rural Pennsylvania in the looming and critical Pennsylvania primary in 2008, and the subsequent controversy about whether Obama could appeal to those outside of major urban areas.

Why you've spent post after post insisting that Obama was talking about gangs in big cities outside of Pennsylvania is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism