U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:29 PM

167 posts, read 311,257 times

Advertisements

I saw my parents down a couple of years ago and I told them I'm an agnostic atheist. They weren't too surprised since my father isn't very religious and also because they saw it coming. I never really cared for religious ceremonies and always discounted religion by arguing against it. I'm glad my parents are quite accepting of it. I know there are a lot of parents who aren't and would never be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 12:02 AM

47 posts, read 73,335 times
About two years ago, they think it's just a phase but truth is, I never believed it since I was a kid and my grandma would read me bible stories

Old 02-05-2014, 03:08 PM

878 posts, read 774,222 times
I made no announcement. None of their business.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:17 PM

3,427 posts, read 1,256,486 times
I announced that I no longer wanted to be dragged to church because I was an atheist when I was thirteen. I had never met another avowed atheist at the time, nor would I meet one for several years yet, until after I began college. I knew of the word "atheist" however, and I knew that I simply wasn't buying ANY of the Christian make believe that I was being taught. Once I had reached the firm conviction that Christian belief is nonsense, I was only interested in trying to discover how the universe REALLY works, and had no interest in being exposed to Christian make believe any longer. My folks thought it was just a "phase" I was going through, but did not force me to attend church. All of this occurred a little more than fifty years ago now, so the "phase" would last me for the rest of my life.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:53 PM

314 posts, read 347,359 times
People love to play semantics when it comes to the word agnostic so I'll just say I'm one of those "I don't know" people, but anyways the little bit of family I do have never had an issue with it and neither do Christian friends as they all have a to each their own mentality.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:40 PM

400 posts, read 461,926 times
I gave up my "faith" in 2004, it was about 2006 that I finally got annoyed with my Father's demands that I pray with him and told him I was no longer a Christian. It was traumatic because my family turned on me, called me crazy and never has been the same. I'm the demon and evil spirit holder in the family when something goes wrong with them, it's my fault. In a way it was a good thing because our relationship was toxic and twisted anyways. Now my husband just blames me for his lack of trips to church in the last 7 years even though his children told me he never went but would force them to go every Sunday.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:43 AM

14,190 posts, read 9,077,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
I gave up my "faith" in 2004, it was about 2006 that I finally got annoyed with my Father's demands that I pray with him and told him I was no longer a Christian. It was traumatic because my family turned on me, called me crazy and never has been the same. I'm the demon and evil spirit holder in the family when something goes wrong with them, it's my fault. In a way it was a good thing because our relationship was toxic and twisted anyways. Now my husband just blames me for his lack of trips to church in the last 7 years even though his children told me he never went but would force them to go every Sunday.
Sounds like you were right to blow that one wide open as it was horribly toxic and manipulative to begin with.

If my father were still alive at this point (he was 41 when I was born, so I'm a little younger than average at 57 to be an orphan due to natural causes) and were living close by, I would likely open up to him and Mom about where I'm at. They wouldn't like it, but they would not harangue or disown me, either. They were very good about respecting healthy boundaries with their adult children and keeping uppermost in their minds, their unconditional love for us kids.

This illustrates why there is no hard and fast rule about whether or not to "come out" to family -- whether as atheist, gay, or whatever.

I watched The Dallas Buyer's Club a couple of nights ago and there was this incredible scene where the transsexual son goes to his banker father that he's estranged from just before the son dies from AIDs. The father is literally crawling out of his skin to be in his son's presence, but thanks him that at least he wore a man's clothes to his office so as not to humiliate him. The son asks for some money to give to someone who has been very kind to him as his final act on earth. The father mumbles, "God help me" and the son replied, "he IS helping you -- I have AIDS". To me this captures the essence of parents who cannot accept their children as they are ... such parents are best left to their own devices so the children can find better role models and mentors, if they can. Who needs a parent who begs god to make his child someone other than they are?

Old 02-16-2014, 10:35 AM

40,823 posts, read 18,553,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The father mumbles, "God help me" and the son replied, "he IS helping you -- I have AIDS". To me this captures the essence of parents who cannot accept their children as they are ... such parents are best left to their own devices so the children can find better role models and mentors, if they can. Who needs a parent who begs god to make his child someone other than they are?
The above reminds me of a joke making the rounds in the '80's, it was first told to me by an openly gay attorney at the law firm where I worked not long after he learned that he had AIDs.

"What's the hardest part about having AIDs?

Having to tell your mother that you are Haitian."

He died a bit less than a year later and in that you would have been hard pressed to find a more likable, nicer guy, it really ripped the heart out of the firm. At the memorial ceremony which the firm held, nearly everyone had a story about some private kindness or calm, gentle manner in a crisis which had impressed them.

That anyone would have hated this man simply on the grounds of his being homosexual strikes me as an obscenity. That such hate might have its origins in religious reasons seems even worse.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:00 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,950,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
That anyone would have hated this man simply on the grounds of his being homosexual strikes me as an obscenity. That such hate might have its origins in religious reasons seems even worse.
It is the most obscene act of mindless hatred in the world today, and I think you would have a hard time finding someone that demonstrated hatred that justifies their hate based on the bible.

Racism and gender bias are still also alive and well, sponsored by the mindless hatred of anyone different, the mantra of religion.

And people wonder why I am grateful I am an atheist.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:47 AM

39,023 posts, read 10,819,276 times
Off topic...but so what. I believe that, a couple of hundred years from now, the Christians will be dismissing all the anti -gay lobby as 'Not real Christians' in the same way as they dismiss all and any atrocity, persecution and holy War which they perpetrated in the past.

We ought to note the names of every single professed Christian, or Christian owned business or Christian - loaded administration who argues that being gay is wrong, sinful and should be legislated against - or who have actually done so.

The Hall of shame should then be maintained forever as a reminder of the evil that religion can do - because religion - based on a couple of lines in OT and Paul's letters - is the main cause why gay rights is still struggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism