U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:06 AM

14,190 posts, read 9,075,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Off topic...but so what. I believe that, a couple of hundred years from now, the Christians will be dismissing all the anti -gay lobby as 'Not real Christians' in the same way as they dismiss all and any atrocity, persecution and holy War which they perpetrated in the past.

We ought to note the names of every single professed Christian, or Christian owned business or Christian - loaded administration who argues that being gay is wrong, sinful and should be legislated against - or who have actually done so.

The Hall of shame should then be maintained forever as a reminder of the evil that religion can do - because religion - based on a couple of lines in OT and Paul's letters - is the main cause why gay rights is still struggling.
The "Hall of Shame" will exist in a detailed historical record in some future evolution of the internet, I think, but it won't matter to revisionists of the future anymore than it does now. The distant past has a "dismissible" air of unreality to anyone but historians who delve into its charms. The minutiae of our age will be "off the radar" of the common man of the distant future. That makes it deniable except to the relative few who take the time and effort to look at it.

Maybe we don't have HD video and news media coverage of the Inquisition, but we have enough to say it is thoroughly documented. That doesn't stop people who would rather forget that it happened from saying, "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, nothing to see here".

It is too bad that the older we get, the more full of stuff our head is and the harder it is to prioritize it .. that is one reason old folks tend to be thought of as a bit slow and absent minded and forgetful. Society is like that too, both as it gets "older" and as its ability to collect and persist detailed observations grows. By 100 years from now we will probably have the ability to recall every purchase transaction, public utterance and appearance of every nobody in realtime ... and the atrocities of today's theisms will be like a needle in a haystack by comparison. And to the extent people know about them, they can be dismissed as the machinations of a primitive era that we've moved well beyond. "Everybody" will know that children dying of preventable illness and snake handlers refusing medical treatment from snake bites couldn't "possibly" happen in what will then be seen as an enlightened modern era. Therefore, those people couldn't possibly have been "true Christians" and could not possibly serve as an indictment for "modern" Christians who would never, ever do those things, or the other things that apostates of past generations did, like promote unequal rights for gays! Yech, how could you even SAY such a thing?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 04:11 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,178,373 times
As much as I still respect the religion that I was born into, it made more sense to me to concentrate on being a good person and provider and that's why agnosticism made sense to me. My wife who also came from the same religion considers herself an atheist. Well, I was the black sheep in the family beforehand so when I first told them this, it didn't really make a difference or surprise anyone.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:05 AM

3,881 posts, read 7,302,852 times
I never actually announced anything.

One day, someone asked my beliefs and I told them. But it was pretty obvious for years that I wasn't into religion.

Wasn't an issue for my family.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 PM

2,384 posts, read 1,556,049 times
I don't think an announcement is necessary. When must I announce other preferences and opinions. Do I have to tell them who I vote for, too? If so, why the private ballot box? Must be a reason for it. Do I have to tell them waht sexual position my husband and I prefer? Or is that our business?

Old 02-24-2014, 07:27 PM

485 posts, read 730,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
I don't think an announcement is necessary. When must I announce other preferences and opinions. Do I have to tell them who I vote for, too? If so, why the private ballot box? Must be a reason for it. Do I have to tell them waht sexual position my husband and I prefer? Or is that our business?
I'm sure it's this way in many places in the US, but where I live in Georgia religion isn't one of those things that is a part of private life (like it should be). It's kind of silly to me when people meet someone and ask where they work, went to school, etc. and then say "oh where do you go to Church?" as if to make sure they are not a "lost sheep." Unless they seem to be outwardly expressing their religious views I think asking a stranger their religious views is prying way too much. I think as far as the context of family religious discussions there may be a place for them depending on the nature of the relationship and age of the kids but if it is one's wish to be kept private then I think that's exactly how it should remain...no explanation needed.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 PM

2,384 posts, read 1,556,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I'm sure it's this way in many places in the US, but where I live in Georgia religion isn't one of those things that is a part of private life (like it should be). It's kind of silly to me when people meet someone and ask where they work, went to school, etc. and then say "oh where do you go to Church?" as if to make sure they are not a "lost sheep." Unless they seem to be outwardly expressing their religious views I think asking a stranger their religious views is prying way too much. I think as far as the context of family religious discussions there may be a place for them depending on the nature of the relationship and age of the kids but if it is one's wish to be kept private then I think that's exactly how it should remain...no explanation needed.
I couldn't agree more. I live in Texas, definitely bible belt country. But we live close enough to Big D that it's more of a city mentality of minding one's own business. I feel for those who live in smaller communities anywhere and have to claim a belief or a church membership in order to avoid being treated badly by people who think judging, harassing or limiting others in the name of religion is a good thing.

Last edited by PegE; 02-26-2014 at 02:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism