U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2014, 05:59 PM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,964,060 times
Reputation: 8282

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
Thanks to the availability of information, god is shrinking. Every demographic will be feeling it.
On a side note, I hope more middle easterners can safely experience the coming out and become a strong voice in that region. No more taliban! No more sharia! No more extremist idiots!
The god of the gaps (in knowledge) is loosing territory at an accelerate pace, but the ignorant will cling to the tiniest gap to anchor their fantasy. This applies primarily to the irrational theist. Sadly the majority reject all science and like a pigeon playing chess merely knocks of all the pieces, takes a dump on the board, and struts around claiming they are the winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2014, 06:22 AM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
3,067 posts, read 2,108,277 times
Reputation: 3965
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Loss of cultural identity is often a problem with people, though I always thought the problem was perception of 'blackness', rather being the same as everyone else. Of course, it is perfectly possible to keep one's traditions and culture, - food often is the last to go, then language, traditions and the first to go is costume, except on special occasions. And that is fine, because the traditions and culture are open to all. I have appreciated being welcomed into a number of cultures.

Perhaps the problem with blackness is that they are otherwise rather integrated and the blackness is the only real difference from anyone else (and that's the fault of the pinkskins as the Andorians call us- Andorra is otherwise rather nice).

However, all that aside, hanging onto religion hardly seems to me to be very helpful to black cultural identity. No more than muslims climbing on the Southern Baptist Fundy Creationist bandwagon would appear to do much for theirs.
Being a Brit, I don't know how much you can truly relate to this topic. Blacks in the US are proportionally more religious than whites...but both groups are easily more religious than their [Northern/Western] European counterparts. You know this. US Muslims suddenly en masse converting to some fundamentalist Christian sect would undoubtedly help their overall cultural standing in this country (so long as that conversion was perceived to be genuine). US Muslims suddenly all becoming atheist...that would be a more interesting question in terms of receptivity to that development by the masses. I'm sure lots of people would view it as a front...not that the aforementioned conversion might not be viewed that way.

Blacks in the US have bigger things to overcome from a life perspective (I'm speaking in generalizations here) than religion. Was true in 1776, was true in 1863, was true in 1965, still is true now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 01:05 PM
 
278 posts, read 255,475 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post

Blacks in the US have bigger things to overcome from a life perspective (I'm speaking in generalizations here) than religion. Was true in 1776, was true in 1863, was true in 1965, still is true now.
Are you implying no progress has been made in civil rights in the U.S since 1776, 1863, and 1965? It certainly has been a painful, and glacially slow movement, but I believe it has been trending in the right direction for some time.
Can you give me an example of 'bigger things to overcome' that doesn't affect poor people of all race backgrounds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:28 PM
 
16,098 posts, read 17,899,425 times
Reputation: 15891
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
Are you implying no progress has been made in civil rights in the U.S since 1776, 1863, and 1965? It certainly has been a painful, and glacially slow movement, but I believe it has been trending in the right direction for some time.
Can you give me an example of 'bigger things to overcome' that doesn't affect poor people of all race backgrounds?
In order to understand the things that have to be overcome, you would have to unpack your own white privilege. Believe it or not, a wealthy or middle class black often is stopped simply for driving while black.
Note that white people don't have to have a talk with their sons about the fact that simply being in the wrong (read white or wealthy) neighborhood *might* mean they will be accosted by the police or even shot if someone things they don't belong there.

On Racism and White Privilege | Teaching Tolerance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2014, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Rational World Park
4,999 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Reputation: 2372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post

Blacks in the US have bigger things to overcome from a life perspective (I'm speaking in generalizations here) than religion. Was true in 1776, was true in 1863, was true in 1965, still is true now.
How can you overcome whatever it is you're talking about when you're waiting on the invisible man in the sky to do the overcoming for you? That was the religious tactic used to keep slaves passive during slavery. Force them to believe in your (slavemasters) god and tell them that said god will one day come to save them. No need to revolt, run or fight, just sit back and wait. Black folks in America have been waiting for bible god since 1619 when the good ship jesus landed. It's 2014, and he hasn't showed up.

I think shedding religion will expedite our overcoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2014, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
553 posts, read 1,105,802 times
Reputation: 539
Loved the video clip. As a biracial atheist, I can tell you that it is twice as hard for me to be accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 04:02 PM
 
50,651 posts, read 26,726,952 times
Reputation: 15849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Being a Brit, I don't know how much you can truly relate to this topic. Blacks in the US are proportionally more religious than whites...but both groups are easily more religious than their [Northern/Western] European counterparts. You know this. US Muslims suddenly en masse converting to some fundamentalist Christian sect would undoubtedly help their overall cultural standing in this country (so long as that conversion was perceived to be genuine). US Muslims suddenly all becoming atheist...that would be a more interesting question in terms of receptivity to that development by the masses. I'm sure lots of people would view it as a front...not that the aforementioned conversion might not be viewed that way.

Blacks in the US have bigger things to overcome from a life perspective (I'm speaking in generalizations here) than religion. Was true in 1776, was true in 1863, was true in 1965, still is true now.
Actually, religion is a huge part of the problem for us as black folks. I think we'd do a lot better if we weren't so darn religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,085 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Reputation: 66460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
How can you overcome whatever it is you're talking about when you're waiting on the invisible man in the sky to do the overcoming for you? That was the religious tactic used to keep slaves passive during slavery. Force them to believe in your (slavemasters) god and tell them that said god will one day come to save them. No need to revolt, run or fight, just sit back and wait. Black folks in America have been waiting for bible god since 1619 when the good ship jesus landed. It's 2014, and he hasn't showed up.

I think shedding religion will expedite our overcoming.
While there is truth to the fact that white slaveowners used religion to try to get slaves to accept their lot the same way the nobility did to serfs in the Middle Ages, let's be historically accurate here. It didn't start out that way for black enslavement in the Americas. Africans were forbidden to become Christians or to be baptized, because allowing that would mean admitting that they were human beings and had souls and that would lead to all sorts of moral problems that the slavers didn't want to deal with.

In the northeast, in particular, where the Dutch settled, the Dutch Reformed Church made it clear to them that a Christian could not enslave another Christian, so if somebody went ahead and baptized a slave, they'd be obligated to set them free.

Not talking away from your valid point, but widespread Christianization of the slaves in North America didn't happen until long after slavery was firmly entrenched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top