U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2014, 12:35 AM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
Reputation: 9029

Advertisements

Idk, and everyone who does know is dead.
Maybe you do go to a heaven or a hell or maybe simply noting happens, everything goes black and you just shut down.
Or maybe you start a new life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2014, 12:42 AM
 
40,033 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Reputation: 6047
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What you don't realize is that your consciousness is already an eternal form of consciousness that is created and exists beyond the here and now. We are living in a "delayed broadcast" based on memory traces recorded within our brain as our true consciousness is produced and resides in the unified field. As a mere memory of your real self residing in a physical production factory . . . you do not actually exist, per se. That is why you can seem to lose your sense of self if ANY of the brain memories or functions become dysfunctional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
And your evidence for any of this is - - - - - ?
In the part you truncated . . . tho it requires a bit of rigorous thought about the implications of the specifics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2014, 06:36 AM
 
Location: "Arlen" Texas
2,384 posts, read 1,556,049 times
Reputation: 9255
There is a funeral that you attend but don't remember. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2014, 08:30 AM
 
3,637 posts, read 2,695,086 times
Reputation: 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
In the part you truncated . . . tho it requires a bit of rigorous thought about the implications of the specifics.
Perhaps if you got around to providing the specifics like - random example here - the actual evidence for your claims - we might be able to discuss their implications. But your believe in an after life and what happens after death all appears to be based on nothing but you simply becoming convinced of it one day while possible snoozing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2014, 02:50 PM
 
40,033 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Reputation: 6047
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What you don't realize is that your consciousness is already an eternal form of consciousness that is created and exists beyond the here and now. We are living in a "delayed broadcast" based on memory traces recorded within our brain as our true consciousness is produced and resides in the unified field. As a mere memory of your real self residing in a physical production factory . . . you do not actually exist, per se. That is why you can seem to lose your sense of self if ANY of the brain memories or functions become dysfunctional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
And your evidence for any of this is - - - - - ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
In the part you truncated . . . tho it requires a bit of rigorous thought about the implications of the specifics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Perhaps if you got around to providing the specifics like - random example here - the actual evidence for your claims - we might be able to discuss their implications. But your believe in an after life and what happens after death all appears to be based on nothing but you simply becoming convinced of it one day while possible snoozing.
Clearly you are either not familiar with the kind of rigorous thought that attends philosophical analysis of issues that have no direct empirical counterparts . . . or you are feigning such ignorance. There is no possibility of any empirical evidence about an after life and you know that. So either engage the specifics philosophically or admit you haven't a clue how to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 02:20 AM
 
3,637 posts, read 2,695,086 times
Reputation: 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Clearly you are either not familiar with the kind of rigorous thought....
And as usual when asked for your evidence you simply get personal. Imagining some lack - deficiency - problem on part of the other person - rather than giving any answer of substance to anything raised.

This is a thread about what happens after death. Do you have anything but your own personal opinion - backed up by thinly veiled insults - to offer the thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is no possibility of any empirical evidence about an after life and you know that. So either engage the specifics philosophically or admit you haven't a clue how to do so.
You appear to think that engaging things philosophically simply means - "Assume my own pet theory to be true and proceed from there". The disconect between reality and philosophy is not as wide as you want it to be. One informs the other. And right now there simply is nothing I can see that informs positively the idea that human consciousness in any way survives the death of the brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 04:48 AM
 
Location: Florida
19,773 posts, read 19,875,860 times
Reputation: 23181
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Clearly you are either not familiar with the kind of rigorous thought that attends philosophical analysis of issues that have no direct empirical counterparts . . . or you are feigning such ignorance. There is no possibility of any empirical evidence about an after life and you know that. So either engage the specifics philosophically or admit you haven't a clue how to do so.
Since this is so, regardless of how complicated you like to make it seem to be, it simply isn't necessary to go past...your guess is as good as mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,190 posts, read 9,075,797 times
Reputation: 6079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Might we gather that you do not agree with Robert Browning when he wrote "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?”

I do not embrace either approach as an absolute, rather I would say that path should be congruent with personality. Alpha types are unlikely to be content with leaving things as they are, beta types will seldom muster enthusiasm for change which comes at the price of conflict. Those who fall between the extremes will want a mix of progress and stability.
Somehow I missed this question until now ...

Yes, you gather correctly, although that doesn't mean I believe people shouldn't aim high, even unrealistically high, provided that you understand at some level that some goals are inherently unattainable. You might aim for world peace and brotherhood as a central motivator for some cause or effort, but hopefully with the full awareness that it's highly unlikely you will be even partially responsible for ushering in such an era given that it hasn't happened in all of human history so far.

All Browning's heaven provides is an expectation that your disappointments will eventually be resolved for you, by and by. But disappointments are not even a factor if you set your expectations correctly.

I am a type B atheist and my wife is a type A atheist. I'm fairly sure, e.g., Dawkins is a type A atheist. Of course I realize you're not promulgating a hard and fast rule, you are saying more that atheism has an affinity for type B. Still, I don't agree with you on that. If there is an aspect of one's personality that would be strongly associated, I tend to think it is how concrete or abstract your predominant thought patterns are. Concrete thinkers tend to regard evidence as validation for the correctness of their thinking and abstract thinkers tend to just want rationalizations that are plausible to them for their thoughts and beliefs. And the truth is, for various reasons, that living based on plausible rationalizations is actually in some ways easier and more comfortable if your life unfolds with at least a modest amount of good luck. In a back-handed way, it can be the more pragmatic of ways to approach life, by aphorisms and rule of thumb and short cuts. Even atheists do that. The sun is shining here today, quite brightly, and I don't care to take the time to pull up WeatherUnderground.com to verify today's weather; I just assume it will probably be sunny and relatively warm today. But then neither do I believe anything other than that it is sunny ... I not only don't, but can't, credit god with the sunshine unless I can substantiate that in some way. My epistemology is far more consequential to me than my expectations about today's weather.

But ... I get that theism can be an adequate abstraction for many people. Until it isn't, at any rate ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 AM
 
40,033 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Reputation: 6047
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Clearly you are either not familiar with the kind of rigorous thought that attends philosophical analysis of issues that have no direct empirical counterparts . . . or you are feigning such ignorance. There is no possibility of any empirical evidence about an after life and you know that. So either engage the specifics philosophically or admit you haven't a clue how to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
And as usual when asked for your evidence you simply get personal. Imagining some lack - deficiency - problem on part of the other person - rather than giving any answer of substance to anything raised.
Stop truncating my posts to try to give the impression of ad hominem. I have thousands of substantive posts that you have dismissed (presumably on the basis of your non-existent authority) without ANY substantive posting of your own in refutation.
Quote:
This is a thread about what happens after death. Do you have anything but your own personal opinion - backed up by thinly veiled insults - to offer the thread?
You appear to think that engaging things philosophically simply means - "Assume my own pet theory to be true and proceed from there". The disconect between reality and philosophy is not as wide as you want it to be. One informs the other. And right now there simply is nothing I can see that informs positively the idea that human consciousness in any way survives the death of the brain.
The bold would seem to be the crux of the problem. "There simply is nothing YOU can see" . . . that does not mean there is nothing. If you cannot philosophically address the issue of life after death because there is no empirical evidence . . . so be it. Some of us are capable of addressing the issues. Either make the effort yourself or substantively engage the hundreds of efforts I have made or admit you haven't a clue how to do so. Your blanket dismissals have no credibility and you have no authority to suggest they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
40,816 posts, read 18,549,595 times
Reputation: 18647
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

I am a type B atheist and my wife is a type A atheist. I'm fairly sure, e.g., Dawkins is a type A atheist. Of course I realize you're not promulgating a hard and fast rule, you are saying more that atheism has an affinity for type B.
I was noting that the type of atheist one is will be most likely predicated upon that person's personality. I wrote nothing to suggest that I thought that one type was more common than another among atheists, I hadn't given that any thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top