U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:41 PM

485 posts, read 732,154 times

Advertisements

I haven't been exposed to many atheists or agnostics in my lifetime so unfortunately, I've heard primarily fundamentalist Christian viewpoints. Is the most widely accepted view among the non-religious that after death is the same as before birth--nothingness? Is it possible that one could live as another form of life after their life has passed, but simply with no memory of another life because of a brand new consciousness? In essence is it just a cycle of energy like the water cycle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,099,963 times
I think the most common view is nothingness, but it is possible to believe in an afterlife without believing in god(s) ... In other words, that consciousness is eternal in some fashion through natural means. If by non religious you mean theists without any religious affiliation, then belief in reincarnation or rebirth or heaven but no hell all seem common.

The important thing to remember is that no one can do anything but speculate about such things as there is no hard data.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 PM

10,314 posts, read 11,242,286 times
Upon death my bodily functions, including all brain function, will cease. Per my instructions, my body will be cremated and probably buried. Wherever the ashes are buried will remain there until some geologic process does something to change that.

None of this will make the slightest difference to me because I will no longer exist any more than I existed before I was born.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:29 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,118,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Is the most widely accepted view among the non-religious that after death is the same as before birth--nothingness?
Yes.

Quote:
Is it possible that one could live as another form of life after their life has passed, but simply with no memory of another life because of a brand new consciousness?
No.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:32 PM

319 posts, read 502,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Yes.

No.
My plan is to Ascend.

At least that's what the Ori Prior promised me.

Hallowed are the Ori.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 PM

17,318 posts, read 19,591,548 times
Quote:
I haven't been exposed to many atheists or agnostics in my lifetime so unfortunately, I've heard primarily fundamentalist Christian viewpoints. Is the most widely accepted view among the non-religious that after death is the same as before birth--nothingness? Is it possible that one could live as another form of life after their life has passed, but simply with no memory of another life because of a brand new consciousness? In essence is it just a cycle of energy like the water cycle?
Well, if you can cryogenically preserve yourself, then it might be possible for you to live on in some form in the future if technological advancements allow for such.

Other than that, once you're dead it is nonexistence.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,288,132 times
Quote:
Is the most widely accepted view among the non-religious that after death is the same as before birth--nothingness?
I would say this is the primary and most common view, yes. There is no reason at all to think there is anything but a complete cessation of consciousness and subjectivity at the point of death.

Quote:
Is it possible....
Yes. Anything is "possible". I think if your question is simply "Is it possible" then the majority of atheists will tell you "Yes".

Yes it is possible there is an after life. Yes it is possible there is a god. Yes it is possible the universe only exists in your mind and not just you but the entire universe itself will die with you. Yes it is possible that.... that.... that.... whatever you want to insert here.

The problem is "Is it possible" is a useless question. Of course it is _possible_. The question is better asked: Is there ANY reason at all to think it not just _possible_ but credible, likely or actually so?

And the answer to THAT question at this time is a clear and outright "no".

Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 AM

3,682 posts, read 4,944,400 times
I'm gonna go into rapture, and i'm gonna come back on a white horse!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:49 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,288,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I'm gonna go into rapture, and i'm gonna come back on a white horse!
I trust you have invested in Rapture Insurance then?

Old 01-07-2014, 07:55 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,675,771 times
Quote:
I think honest answer is to say " I don't know."

But with that said. I think atheists and a lot of agnostics have looked at the evidence that has been presented so far......and have come to a conclusion that it's most likely that there is nothing to sustain one's consciousness (in any form) after one's death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism