U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:55 AM

3,673 posts, read 4,931,180 times

Advertisements

coworkers talking about random stuff....and every 2 minutes, it's "oh that's never happened to me before....'knock on wood'...."

it makes me want to go over and knock them in the head with a piece of 2 by 4!

i used to say it too....(don't know why)....and sometimes it even slips out to this day....but i'm curious about any of you atheists say this phrase....and jebus forbid, do you believe that saying the phrase somehow prevents that thing from happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:12 AM

14,190 posts, read 9,075,797 times
Eh ... it's just an expression that means "with luck". IIRC I read once that it originated in knocking on trees to wake up the wood sprites or some such that was once considered good luck, but I seriously doubt that most people know or certainly believe that anymore.

It's funny how certain expressions drive certain people to distraction. I've met people who go bonkers whenever they hear catch phrases like "my bad!". It's just whatever triteness disagrees with you, I guess.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:37 AM

15,350 posts, read 12,109,955 times
Another one I'm hoping doesn't have a carry permit.
What movie theaters do you go to?

This is becoming a scary place.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:37 AM

9,918 posts, read 20,534,663 times
Whaddya mean if saying it does anything? It doesn't do anything unless you ACTUALLY knock on wood. And not on that fake stuff either!

Seriously, have to say, I've worked for a long time with some superstitious people. I have over time picked up a habit of knocking from time to time, but I do it with tongue firmly in cheek. At the appropriate time, I might just give a and knock on the nearest wood. I don't typically say the words. I think more often it's in response to what someone else is saying, not what I'm saying.

Anyway, yeah, would agree that certain expressions are just nails on a chalkboard for some folks. I'm guessing that's the case here.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:48 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,277,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
but i'm curious about any of you atheists say this phrase....and jebus forbid, do you believe that saying the phrase somehow prevents that thing from happening?
I do not say it but I would not read too much into people who do. Certainly it would not bring me to wish to do violence upon them as you have indicated above. Such anger requires anger management and I heartily recommend you seek some.

A lot of language, and gestures like the one you describe, are cultural however. People engage with them out of a cultural habit. I would risk a guess that the number of people who do it actually believing that it will affect reality in any measurable way are far outweighed by those who do not.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:06 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,742,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

A lot of language, and gestures like the one you describe, are cultural however. People engage with them out of a cultural habit. I would risk a guess that the number of people who do it actually believing that it will affect reality in any measurable way are far outweighed by those who do not.
Exactly. I say all kinds of stuff that is purely cultural. I have been known to utter a few "jesus christs" and "oh my gods" in my time. I didn't expect them to answer me.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:17 AM

12,676 posts, read 14,059,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Exactly. I say all kinds of stuff that is purely cultural. I have been known to utter a few "jesus christs" and "oh my gods" in my time. I didn't expect them to answer me.
I agree. But I remember in a Christian religious forum in the days of Netnews when Christian believer was vehement that people who used "God" or "Jesus Christ" in cursing or wishing were really, really believers. He couldn't accept, being locked in his own belief system, that some who said, "God damn it!" in anger was not really intending to invoke divine power in a moment of desperation.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 AM

11,172 posts, read 10,989,569 times
Here's the story about why people say "Knock on wood."

Knocking on wood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 AM

591 posts, read 710,513 times
The two I like are in response to something you have just seen that astonished you:

1) Christ on a bike
2) Jesus wept

Old 01-15-2014, 08:04 AM

14,190 posts, read 9,075,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
The two I like are in response to something you have just seen that astonished you:

1) Christ on a bike
2) Jesus wept
3) Jesus Christ on toast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or