U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 01:27 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,700,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"I'm making it official and embarking on a new journey. I will "try on" atheism for a year. For the next 12 months I will live as if there is no God. I will not pray, read the Bible for inspiration, refer to God as the cause of things or hope that God might intervene and change my own or someone else's circumstances. (I trust that if there really is a God that God will not be too flummoxed by my foolish experiment and allow others to suffer as a result)."
He is a phony as far as I am concerned. You can't "try on" a belief. You either believe something or you don't. And to call it a "foolish experiment" already tells you how biased he is. Living the way he claims he intends to live is simply going through the motions of the way he interprets atheism. It's like an actor taking on a role of a character. The role doesn't make him that character, it is just a role he is playing. At the end of the run, he goes back to being himself which is what this person will do when his year is up. All he is doing is going through the motions.

The most he will gain from his "journey" is royalties from his website and his book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,113,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Interestingly, there is some indication that he may actually be leaning toward atheism entirely.
That's what I immediately assumed when I read the OP.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope-C14 View Post
I'd be careful. Apparently god doesn't forgive often.

God Admits He Rarely Forgives | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

"While acknowledging 'perhaps 10 or 12' total instances in the last several millennia in which He has forgiven a person who is truly sorry for committing a sinful act, the Lord confirmed to reporters that such instances are, statistically speaking, tremendous anomalies, and may have in fact been the result of simple negligence on His part rather than any genuine feelings of mercy.

Concurrently, the Supreme Being estimated the number of human beings He has not forgiven in the same span of time at approximately 80 billion.

'Last evening, an individual from the North American continent requested that I forgive him for absconding an article of clothing from a nearby business establishment, and I refused to do so,' God said. 'I also refused to forgive a woman who had disciplined her child too harshly, a man who had told a lie to his wife, a young boy who had taken my name in vain, and roughly 200 million others, all in one night, for this is simply my way.'

Classic Onion...could use a "with" after "absconding", there, God

Old 01-17-2014, 03:47 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,033,285 times
It's tantamount to my declaring that I will believe in Spiderman for a year. It can't be done. Beliefs or lack of them can't be chosen or shrugged off on a whim. You either believe or you don't.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It's tantamount to my declaring that I will believe in Spiderman for a year. It can't be done. Beliefs or lack of them can't be chosen or shrugged off on a whim. You either believe or you don't.
That's why I immediately assumed he was a closet atheist who felt like this would be a more "acceptable" (and lucrative, of course) way of resolving (or at least addressing) the cognitive dissonance that exists, given his (presumed) belief and his profession. Just given that intuition and a quick glance at the beginning couple paragraphs of his website, I'll be surprised if the result of his "experiment" is something other than his becoming the latest Dan Barker

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 01-17-2014 at 03:59 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 06:11 AM

39,242 posts, read 10,913,531 times
Phony probably, and certainly not going about it the right way. He is like a Hindu saying that he will sit on a bed of nails for Jesus for a month, and if that hasn't convinced him to be a Christian it must be false.

He is trying to be an atheist by acting like a Christian - but with a different set of rules.

Even if he suddenly Saw the Light and stopped believing, while he would of course, be a -theist, he would not have a shred of the back -up rationale that sound atheism ought to have, in order to prevent it being sucked back into faith by a few well - crafted rhetorical tricks.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:08 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,675,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I think he's being sarcastic.
Yep. Chango is just having fun.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:46 AM

4,516 posts, read 3,926,429 times
I read all the posts (but none of the comments yet) and it seems to me, if he's being honest, that he's always had doubts, that he would have walked away from faith years ago but he didn't know what to do with himself without it, and that he's seen the underbelly of faith and found it distasteful enough to take this step away from it.

He'll probably not ever be faithful again. He may go back to it because it's known and comfortable and, let's be honest, the safer choice in this society. But he'll have burned a lot of bridges if he really keeps it up for a year.

I would much rather read A.J. Jacobs. At least he's all honest about his experiments and the $$ he makes from it.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:56 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,325,858 times
Atheism is a conclusion not a choice.

In this case the no true Scotsman fallacy actually works. You really cannot unring the bell on atheism. Usually the demand for evidence increases.

The problem is that theists have this mental image that atheists are rebellious theists and just wanna have phun w/o moral consequences. I was a lot more reckless as a theist than as an atheist.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:36 PM

11,212 posts, read 11,021,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I think he's being sarcastic.
I sure hope so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism