U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 PM

319 posts, read 501,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
"While acknowledging 'perhaps 10 or 12' total instances in the last several millennia in which He has forgiven a person who is truly sorry for committing a sinful act, the Lord confirmed to reporters that such instances are, statistically speaking, tremendous anomalies, and may have in fact been the result of simple negligence on His part rather than any genuine feelings of mercy.

Concurrently, the Supreme Being estimated the number of human beings He has not forgiven in the same span of time at approximately 80 billion.

'Last evening, an individual from the North American continent requested that I forgive him for absconding an article of clothing from a nearby business establishment, and I refused to do so,' God said. 'I also refused to forgive a woman who had disciplined her child too harshly, a man who had told a lie to his wife, a young boy who had taken my name in vain, and roughly 200 million others, all in one night, for this is simply my way.'

Classic Onion...could use a "with" after "absconding", there, God
I really want to rep ya, but you have 666 rep. I'll wait until someone else does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 05:11 AM

19,801 posts, read 19,900,285 times
Quote:
"Well, I wanted to signup on his board to ridicule him, but of course, registration costs $5 via Paypal. wow."

Is this guy getting the $5?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:20 AM

7,228 posts, read 4,651,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I don't buy it, because pretending to be anything that is contrary to who you is just acting or role playing. I could 'pretend' to be a theists, or gay, but when it comes down to the actual 'deeds', nope, we ain't going there.
Precisely. He's not a "temporary atheist." He's simply pretending, going through the motions. He may not live or talk outwardly about his "personal relationship with Jesus," while he's role playing, but rest assured he's still believes "in his heart."

Old 01-18-2014, 10:37 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Wow. Where do you get these ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I think he's being sarcastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Yep. Chango is just having fun.
Who, Me? I can only be serious when I talk about religion.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:42 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Teddy Roosevelt laughs at your monkey.
I gotta admit, Teddy was true bad ass.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,961,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Precisely. He's not a "temporary atheist." He's simply pretending, going through the motions. He may not live or talk outwardly about his "personal relationship with Jesus," while he's role playing, but rest assured he's still believes "in his heart."
I have my suspicions he is trying to disguise the false idol before him. The almighty dollar.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:45 PM

21,868 posts, read 14,377,315 times
I read a couple of his blog posts. He strikes me as someone on a journey. He is living as if he does not believe in God. Why not just accept his word that that is what he is doing?
I admire him, actually.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:50 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,961,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I read a couple of his blog posts. He strikes me as someone on a journey. He is living as if he does not believe in God. Why not just accept his word that that is what he is doing?
I admire him, actually.
A cat can have her kittens in an oven, but it don't make them biscuits

Old 01-25-2014, 09:40 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I admire him, actually.
The reason I question his sincerity is because of his statement.

"I'm making it official and embarking on a new journey. I will "try on" atheism for a year. For the next 12 months I will live as if there is no God. I will not pray, read the Bible for inspiration, refer to God as the cause of things or hope that God might intervene and change my own or someone else's circumstances. (I trust that if there really is a God that God will not be too flummoxed by my foolish experiment and allow others to suffer as a result).

"Trying on atheism?" It's not like a suit of clothes. The questioning must come from within. "Trying on" to me sounds like going through the motions but not really caring whether or not they even fit.

And his reference to this as his "foolish experiment" does not show me he is doing this from the heart as those who have embraced atheism after spending any number of years as a believer based on experiences and feelings leading up to their decision. His attitude is just too casual to enable him to make any kind of sincere, unbiased choices. All he is doing is putting on the clothes but at the end of the day, they are going to come off.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:48 AM

39,080 posts, read 10,842,814 times
I am undecided about his sincerity. I am sure about his method. It isn't valid, unless he does the sort of thinking that a thinking atheist does. And can he really live like an atheist or will he be like a Christian taking a break?

Will he not go back and say with an air of relief: "Boy, I sure missed my religion. How Atheists can live such arid and meaningless lives.."

You get the picture.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-26-2014 at 07:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism