U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 02:49 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,236,887 times

Advertisements

From Year Without God | a former pastor's journey into atheism :

"I'm making it official and embarking on a new journey. I will "try on" atheism for a year. For the next 12 months I will live as if there is no God. I will not pray, read the Bible for inspiration, refer to God as the cause of things or hope that God might intervene and change my own or someone else's circumstances. (I trust that if there really is a God that God will not be too flummoxed by my foolish experiment and allow others to suffer as a result)."

IOW, he's just pretending to be an atheist. What will that prove - that he's a good actor?

More discussion can be found here: "My desire is, as always, to pursue the truth." | MetaFilter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 02:52 PM

16,156 posts, read 17,970,854 times
Interestingly, there is some indication that he may actually be leaning toward atheism entirely.

Quote:
As a pastor I read and studied my Bible as a professional commitment, to prepare sermons and Bible studies, but I rarely read the Bible devotionally and for my own inspiration, in part because so much of it isn’t inspiring at all. I haven’t attended a church consistently since March so not much changed in that department in the past month either. In short, my life has more or less continued as it has in the recent past. This is revealing for a couple of reasons.

First, it demonstrates something that I have suspected about myself and other Christians I know—many of us have for a long time been functional atheists. We may confess an intellectual assent to belief in a divine being and have a well thought out theology but very few of us live as though this God exists and is an active agent in the world.

Secondly, it demonstrates, at least to me, that the difference God makes is to a great degree, a kind of life insurance policy…a modern day form of Pascal’s wager in which believers hedge their bets against the possibility that there is a God who may send them to hell if they don’t believe.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:29 PM

319 posts, read 503,318 times
Default From the most trusted news-source:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post

"I'm making it official and embarking on a new journey. I will "try on" atheism for a year. For the next 12 months I will live as if there is no God. I will not pray, read the Bible for inspiration, refer to God as the cause of things or hope that God might intervene and change my own or someone else's circumstances. (I trust that if there really is a God that God will not be too flummoxed by my foolish experiment and allow others to suffer as a result)."
I'd be careful. Apparently god doesn't forgive often.

God Admits He Rarely Forgives | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 01-16-2014, 09:29 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,876,289 times
And once again a concept that many theists have a real problem understanding. You can't just make yourself "unbelieve" any more than you can make yourself "believe".

Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 PM

13,144 posts, read 19,244,886 times
Yep, it just sucks to be an Atheist.

You just live hand to mouth, like an animal. You are never inspired, you never wonder, never learn and never hope for greater things. Everything is about selfishly fulfilling your base carnal desires and you are just OK with whatever happens because hell... take away god and what else is there, right?

Old 01-16-2014, 09:59 PM

17,382 posts, read 19,648,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Yep, it just sucks to be an Atheist.

You just live hand to mouth, like an animal. You are never inspired, you never wonder, never learn and never hope for greater things. Everything is about selfishly fulfilling your base carnal desires and you are just OK with whatever happens because hell... take away god and what else is there, right?
Wow. Where do you get these ideas?

Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 PM

12,540 posts, read 12,572,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Wow. Where do you get these ideas?
I think he's being sarcastic.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:19 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,876,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Teddy Roosevelt laughs at your monkey.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:21 PM

16,300 posts, read 25,014,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post

IOW, he's just pretending to be an atheist. What will that prove - that he's a good actor?

More discussion can be found here: "My desire is, as always, to pursue the truth." | MetaFilter
I don't buy it, because pretending to be anything that is contrary to who you is just acting or role playing. I could 'pretend' to be a theists, or gay, but when it comes down to the actual 'deeds', nope, we ain't going there.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:44 AM

278 posts, read 256,096 times
The guy is doing this for attention, of course, he's writing a book. Is this supposed to be a novel idea? What will it prove except his own personal bias and he stated he is searching for truth? This is a dumb idea, IMHO
But wouldn't it be funny if he deconverted?

Well, I wanted to signup on his board to ridicule him, but of course, registration costs $5 via Paypal. wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism