Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:05 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,041 times

Advertisements

I found this article very helpful and interesting.

How to Have a Friendly (and Effective) Religious Debate

Old 01-20-2014, 07:18 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Treat your religion like your genitalia. Keep it private, force it on no one and especially not on children.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:58 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
There's one point he overlooked - get an assurance beforehand that the corpus of scientifically validated evidence is accepted and also logical fallacies, for the avoidance of, because without those two preliminary acceptances, no meaningful conversation can take place.

It would be nice if it was also accepted that quoting from Scripture proves nothing and personal anecdotes of inexplicable experiences no more, but that risks your opponent complaining:

"Aren't you going to allow me anything?"

Old 01-20-2014, 08:15 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,104,856 times
For all his lecturing about avoiding giving offense, I can see how believers might find the article condescending. From the OP linked article:

Quote:
facts can seem like ridicule when they work against firmly held beliefs.
Quote:
When some people feel like they are losing a particular debate, it is not uncommon to attempt to shift the conversation in progress in search of a more comfortable topic
Quote:
While it may not always be the case, friendly and effective debates are easier if you assume your counterpart is legitimately searching for the truth — and not simply seeking convenient lies.
When knowing that the author is an atheist, the above points all seem to be warnings about expected theist tricks or stupidity, and how the civility burden is on the more reasonable atheist to not sink to childish levels.

And of course all of the points offered are already well understood by most of the posters on the atheist forum or most of the atheists visiting the Religion/Spirituality forum. We start out with all this stuff in mind, but it just doesn't always work out according to plan. Probably because...
Quote:
By ignoring the insults completely, repeating unanswered questions or calls for evidence if necessary, and sticking to the actual issue, the interlocutor will be forced to give up the immature behavior or surrender.
....that never seems to happen.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:18 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,194,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Treat your religion like your genitalia. Keep it private, force it on no one and especially not on children.
That's awesome. I repped you but couldn't sign it as I am on my Kindle and for some reason it spazzes out when I try to type in the rep box.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

Seems liberals believe parents should not "force "any of their beliefs on their children.

Perhaps that is why many children grow up with no manners also.
Parents believing their beliefs should not be "forced" on their children.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:52 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Seems liberals believe parents should not "force "any of their beliefs on their children.

Perhaps that is why many children grow up with no manners also.
Parents believing their beliefs should not be "forced" on their children.
If you don't know the difference between manners and respect for others and fairy tales, far be it for me to try and explain it to you.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,891,803 times
What is the point of debating with a Theist? Do you really care if they believe what you do?

I am very comfortable with my Atheistic views and I don't care if other people agree with me or not.

I find it fascinating that some people have different beliefs than I do and I come to these forums because I am curious what other people believe.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:31 PM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Default "How to Have a Friendly Religious Debate"

Basically . . . courteously refuse to participate. Bada Bum Bum!

Old 01-21-2014, 03:31 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
'....ching, ching.' Yes. In certain circumstances (social, or a furious debate between different denominations or dogmas) polite silence is best, but refuse to participate...no, never. Not now we have the fire in our bellies.

But, certainly, while the OP points out (with apposite ref to the Nye/Ham debate) things to be looked out for, like changing the subject (shifting the goalposts is something else - it is altering the parameters on the same subject), polite debate requires a technique, like being willing to understand what the other person means, not just what he said. Responding to heated responses or insults with a smile is good, because allowing the debate to collapse in a blitz of silly poos benefits only the theist, who can escape with a draw, if not a win.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-21-2014 at 03:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.