U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 03:11 PM

40,177 posts, read 26,806,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You categorically disavow and dismiss as meaningless and disingenuous anything I have presented in over 19,000+ posts . . . then you whine I am being dismissive and intellectually dishonest when I withdraw from any attempt to engage the complete lack of content or substance in your post???? Now that takes big ones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You took the time to quote that whole conversation and then add the above comment. Kinda proves Matt's point don't you think?
When someone reveals they either have not been following the discourse or completely misses the point of it . . . providing the context is necessary. Clearly you did not get the point either because you too would prefer to relate to the complete dismissal of my views without substantive refutation. That takes even bigger ones!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 11:15 PM

561 posts, read 1,034,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
What's makes some one want an eternal existence? Is it greed?
Back the original issue...

I think it's more related to our (human) high level of self-awarness. While we can't understand how other species perceive things, most evidence indicates that even the most intelligent non-human animals (the great apes, elephants, etc.) have limited self-awarness compared to us.

Since we humans are acutely aware of our own existence, we also understand that eventually we will almost certainly cease to exist. How we respond to this is the existentialist dilemma. Many persons are anxious, depressed, etc. at the prospect of non-existence: consequently, belief in an afterlife is one response.

While it bothered me when I was younger, I'm 43 now, and the older I get the more comfortable I am with the prospect of eventually not existing: I find a beautiful sense of humility, simplicity, and tranquility in the overwhelming likelihood that our physical existence is the only experience we'll ever have, and when it ends we're almost certainly gone forever. The prospect of 'eternal life' doesn't appeal to me at all.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:25 AM

5,426 posts, read 5,736,247 times
I prefer to think I will always exist, but probably not in a conscious form. My atoms and/or energy will survive my death even if my sapience does not.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:36 AM

561 posts, read 1,034,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I prefer to think I will always exist, but probably not in a conscious form. My atoms and/or energy will survive my death even if my sapience does not.
True, but the atoms/energy are not really yours in an permanent sense. They just happen to occupy you being during your physical existence. After you die and decompose your atoms will become part of something else in the same way they werepart of something else before you.

While it's true that our fundamental chemical components will be part of something else after we're gone, this will be something else; not us.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:26 AM

5,426 posts, read 5,736,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
True, but the atoms/energy are not really yours in an permanent sense. They just happen to occupy you being during your physical existence. After you die and decompose your atoms will become part of something else in the same way they werepart of something else before you.

While it's true that our fundamental chemical components will be part of something else after we're gone, this will be something else; not us.
Even though we are both saying the same thing in different ways, I prefer to think of my atoms as still being part of "me." For no other reason than that thought gives me some comfort.

I feel a little better thinking that I'm made from the stuff of stars and I'll eventually return to them - part of nature's great cycle. For a brief period my elements came together to form conscious thought, and then they will wash back out into universe once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism