Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 AM

534 posts, read 904,893 times

Advertisements

What's makes some one want an eternal existence? Is it greed?

It seems the height of evil to use up resources for an eternity. If I was besmirched with the idea of a satan, I would think that satan was the one to invent a desire for life forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 10:05 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times
The desire is there (for me at least) because i enjoy life so much. The idea of one day not experiencing life, seeing my daughters, watching the wind blow falling leaves, and the hearing waves crashing onto the beach are the reasons i wish our lives were 'eternal'.....or at lease much longer than 80-90 years...

but too bad.....tough....The reality is that it is not eternal.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:07 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,744 times
You should ask this over in the Christianity forum. I don't think anyone here wants to live for eternity.

I started this thread over there last year. The responses were surprising.
What if I don't want to live forever?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:19 AM

781 posts, read 736,838 times
I used to want to live forever, used to be terrified of death. (I'm an atheist) But I've come to realize, live forever? With this c***sucking human race? No. I don't hardly think so. Death is the only way I'll finally be free from these glorified primates with delusions of grandeur that we call human beings. Ever see the show "The Prisoner"? (The Patrick McGoohan version from the late sixties.) This world, or more specifically living with humans is "the village" and I am the prisoner. Yup.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:24 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
It's impossible for the human mind to really conceptualize what "eternity" actually is.

I don't know if there are any Star Trek fans here, but the idea of living forever reminds me of the entity known as Q, a godlike being who has been around so long that he has literally experienced everything. All he has left to do for his amusement is to mess around with the crew of the Enterprise - like a pest.

I would imagine that good people would eventually turn evil because committing evil acts will be the one thing an eternally living person hasn't done yet. Just like the being known as Q.

Even a paradise such as Heaven would get old after awhile. Even if it takes quintillions of years to get sick of Heaven, it WILL happen because eternity is ... well ... forever. The Law of Diminishing Returns will most likely be at work even in paradise.

The pleasures that we hold so dear to our hearts today most likely will be boring, "old hat" stuff in a few googol years.

I do sometimes wish that I could quietly watch the passing of history as I am intrigued by the events that unfold in our world - it might be interesting to live for a really long time. But eternally? I think, at some point in our long existence, we would realize that "death" is the only thing we haven't experienced and thus we would long for it.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 AM

534 posts, read 904,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
The desire is there (for me at least) because i enjoy life so much. The idea of one day not experiencing life, seeing my daughters, watching the wind blow falling leaves, and the hearing waves crashing onto the beach are the reasons i wish our lives were 'eternal'.....or at lease much longer than 80-90 years...

but too bad.....tough....The reality is that it is not eternal.
in that vein, i can understand. but with it comes the likes of Sara Palin, Republicans and the GOP. Could anyone imagine an eternity with that harridan?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:03 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
I used to want to live forever, used to be terrified of death. (I'm an atheist) But I've come to realize, live forever? With this c***sucking human race? No. I don't hardly think so. Death is the only way I'll finally be free from these glorified primates with delusions of grandeur that we call human beings. Ever see the show "The Prisoner"? (The Patrick McGoohan version from the late sixties.) This world, or more specifically living with humans is "the village" and I am the prisoner. Yup.
I liked that show!

Old 01-22-2014, 12:43 PM

781 posts, read 736,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I liked that show!
Awesome show. One of my top ten shows ever. Hell, maybe top five ever.

Interesting interview w/ McGoohan. Especially interesting exchange from 5:46 to 7:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiIUnCMpGbM

Be seeing you...

Old 01-22-2014, 02:48 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
I think choices / options are a Good Thing so long as we have actual control over them. So I'd take biological or even total immortality so long as I could have an end to it whenever I'd wish. Because as others have pointed out, while life is a little on the short / mean side, I am not so sure that one could find enough interest and satisfy enough curiosity to keep it going forever.

What'd be interesting is how the dynamic would change. If we weren't always looking over our shoulder trying to get things done by the time we're 50 or 60 or 70 (or before our health goes south) then the time taken up by various attempts would not be a problem at all. Slow and steady would, in fact, win the race, so to speak. People would become more zen, I'd think.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:28 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
What's makes some one want an eternal existence? Is it greed?

It seems the height of evil to use up resources for an eternity. If I was besmirched with the idea of a satan, I would think that satan was the one to invent a desire for life forever.
On a very basic level, evolution.

Tenaciously struggling to avoid death is an integral part of passing on ones genetic legacy, such competition being the basis of evolution. While technically, death is not necessarily a hindrance to that - so long as one secures the next generation all safe and sound before dying, that is - the impulse to live, Live, LIVE is not so nuanced. It is simply there, always, because those organisms that had such an overpowering drive were more likely to live to pass on their genes and their tendencies to strive always to survive.

We can dress it up in all sorts of philosophical trappings, but it is simple evolutionary biology at the basis of human desire for immortality of one sort or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism