U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:43 PM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With all the banter going on about atheists i need to define myself.
I'm some one who never had an interest in going to church, thought the bible was a bunch of fairy tails, dont believe in God, think the idea of creationism is absurd, I dont think about religion,i dont talk about religion and religion plays no role in my life and i have no wish to convert any one to my non religious ways of thinking.
I've always assumed this way of life described an atheist but reading many posts seem to imply atheism as some kind of alternate religion If thats the case what designation am i if not an atheist?
The bolded is all you need to be an atheist.

Everything else is icing on the cake. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 06:14 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,953,508 times
Atheist = The individual that knows there are no gods. Done

Last edited by Asheville Native; 01-24-2014 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Thanks...it's always useful for lifetimers like myself (who can only surmise how the god-bods are thinking) to hear from those who Been it.
Likewise, and I suspect we miss the uphoric release that former theists must feel once they release their minds form the prison of what ever fantasy the once thought real.

I think it would compare that they feel like the wrongly convicted man that is finally exonerated and released from prison. There is just no way to understand the relief that would bring to them.

And I am relieved that I have never been falsely imprison either physically or mentally, and not experience the relief they feel.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:29 PM

14,191 posts, read 9,079,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Likewise, and I suspect we miss the euphoric release that former theists must feel once they release their minds form the prison of what ever fantasy the once thought real.

I think it would compare that they feel like the wrongly convicted man that is finally exonerated and released from prison. There is just no way to understand the relief that would bring to them.

And I am relieved that I have never been falsely imprison either physically or mentally, and not experience the relief they feel.
You aren't too far off the mark, although it's an individual experience. Some deconverts that I've met are rather P.O'd that they can no longer believe; they find the Real World a nasty place that's not to their liking. They never quite get over the disappointment and/or the social ostracism. Then there are people who are, as you say, "euphoric". I'm somewhere in between, I guess. But I am by nature not a person prone to lots of "unicorn and butterfly" feelings, either as a theist, or an atheist. I can certainly testify that I am relieved by the cessation of intense cognitive dissonance, though -- and that's no small thing.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You aren't too far off the mark, although it's an individual experience. Some deconverts that I've met are rather P.O'd that they can no longer believe; they find the Real World a nasty place that's not to their liking. They never quite get over the disappointment and/or the social ostracism. Then there are people who are, as you say, "euphoric". I'm somewhere in between, I guess. But I am by nature not a person prone to lots of "unicorn and butterfly" feelings, either as a theist, or an atheist. I can certainly testify that I am relieved by the cessation of intense cognitive dissonance, though -- and that's no small thing.
In the same vain I suspect there are prisoners that also are scared because they enter a world that is much different than they remember, especially when there is no real support for them through family or friends.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:55 AM

39,034 posts, read 10,825,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Likewise, and I suspect we miss the uphoric release that former theists must feel once they release their minds form the prison of what ever fantasy the once thought real.

I suspect that I have actually experienced the 'uphoric' release (it was definitely an "Up") though I was never a 'believer', when I released the need to worry about it...I have looked for other terms, but that is it - the release of Worry. I had a sort of J. Bunyan -like mental image of a huge weighty bundle of sooty rags slipping from my shoulders and, since then, I have felt like I was outside breathing clean, fresh air.

The religionists in their happy fug of pink smoke under the security Blanket can have no inkling of how exhilarating and liberating this is. But we goddless bastards know.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:58 AM

39,034 posts, read 10,825,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Despite what I said above (which is actually very common) you are right, of course; there are those who would love to believe in a god and religion, but cannot.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:29 AM

8,957 posts, read 6,495,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With all the banter going on about atheists i need to define myself.
I'm some one who never had an interest in going to church, thought the bible was a bunch of fairy tails, dont believe in God, think the idea of creationism is absurd, I dont think about religion,i dont talk about religion and religion plays no role in my life and i have no wish to convert any one to my non religious ways of thinking.
I've always assumed this way of life described an atheist but reading many posts seem to imply atheism as some kind of alternate religion
If thats the case what designation am i if not an atheist?
Links please.

Calling atheism a religion is the same as saying not collecting stanps is a hobby.

Atheist = Free from theism.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:33 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
The word atheist carrys so much baggage that it is defined by what it is not rather than by what it actually is.

Rationalist may be a better pigeon hole if you really need a label.

Once you tell folk you are an atheist, the horror that you are not open to coercion means that most of what theists hold dear suddenly is threatened even if you make no comments as to their religion or beliefs.

A personal conversation with a mild theist went sour and all she asked me where I went to church. I should have said none rather than tell her I was an atheist.
The reason it carries baggage is because so many athiests spend time debating religion. Oftentimes as much, if not more than evangelical christians.

What I find annoying are the athiests who have to start a debate or bring up religion all the time. If they find out you are a christian they have to debate you down to a point and ask for all of the proof.

There are some crazy christians out there, but there also are so many Athiests that push so hard for things like making it offensive to say Merry Christmas. It's not like Athiests are quiet people who try to mind their own business while the big bad christians try to convert them. If anything it is 50/50 and you will see just as many "preaching athiests"

Old 01-25-2014, 07:54 AM

8,957 posts, read 6,495,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The reason it carries baggage is because so many athiests spend time debating religion. Oftentimes as much, if not more than evangelical christians.

What I find annoying are the athiests who have to start a debate or bring up religion all the time. If they find out you are a christian they have to debate you down to a point and ask for all of the proof.

There are some crazy christians out there, but there also are so many Athiests that push so hard for things like making it offensive to say Merry Christmas. It's not like Athiests are quiet people who try to mind their own business while the big bad christians try to convert them. If anything it is 50/50 and you will see just as many "preaching athiests"
Moderator cut: delete
I am glad there are some atheists who do debate. It is a very small number and not the many as you say.

There is no way it's "50 / 50" due to the fact that we are way outnumbered.
To give you a small example there are 535 members of Congress and only one is an open atheist.
Another - I never heard of an atheist knocking on someones door to state the fact that god belief and religion is all a lie.
[mod]delete[sarcasm]

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-27-2014 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: calling another a liar is not allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or