U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:14 AM

2,669 posts, read 1,986,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With all the banter going on about atheists i need to define myself.
I'm some one who never had an interest in going to church, thought the bible was a bunch of fairy tails, dont believe in God, think the idea of creationism is absurd, I dont think about religion,i dont talk about religion and religion plays no role in my life and i have no wish to convert any one to my non religious ways of thinking.
I've always assumed this way of life described an atheist but reading many posts seem to imply atheism as some kind of alternate religion If thats the case what designation am i if not an atheist?
There are some out there who have gone on the offensive, and carry their [non-]belief around with all the fervor of a bible-thumping Evangelist. For the most part, though, most atheist I have known simply go on about their lives, and unless you ask them directly, don't really have much to say about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 11:18 AM

726 posts, read 701,298 times
an atheist is someone who just says "give me a real reason to think something or I'm not gonna think it".

Old 01-25-2014, 02:06 PM

4,999 posts, read 3,889,508 times
An atheist is a person that doesn't believe in a god, period.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:51 PM

8,975 posts, read 6,515,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I strongly disagree.
Worded like that makes it sound like there is a god but one can't "believe" he's up to the job.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:08 PM

11,213 posts, read 11,026,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I strongly disagree.
Worded like that makes it sound like there is a god but one can't "believe" he's up to the job.
I don't understand why you would disagree. Any time I've looked up a definition, an atheist is simply a person that doesn't believe in any god or gods. How does Frozenyo's statement say there is a god, but he's incompetent?

Old 01-25-2014, 08:19 PM

7,238 posts, read 4,667,569 times
Etymologically speaking, an atheist is one who is godless. They lack belief in deities. A-theism simply means a lack of theism, theos, god/deity.

I wish many atheists (and theists) did not make it into a false dichotomy by referring to the Abrahamic deities when tackling this matter. It is not atheism vs. Christianity. It is not "I don't believe in God." to refer to the Abrahamic concepts. If one doesn't want theists to develop some sort of superiority complex or to assume atheism is just an act of rebellion or stubbornness, then one's position needs to be inclusive, as does their vocabulary. It needs to be neutral, and not denote any specific deity. I never, ever use the term "God" and only use neutral terms like gods/deities or I use their names. If I'm referring to some other concept, as in, not a character from ancient literature, then I use neutral terms like First Cause.

There are different classifications or positions:

Weak/negative - default: "I don't believe in deities."
Strong/positive: "I don't believe deities exist." (this position asserts to the non-existence of deities and/or a First Cause). Many strong atheists are also metaphysical naturalists.
Relative metaphysical (this is me): "I don't believe in X deities, but am open to X concept." Basically, it's the rejection of one or many concepts, but being open to another. A common example is deism or pantheism (or the other pans).

Then we have ignosticism, which I do identify with, but this leads into atheism.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:21 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,346,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With all the banter going on about atheists i need to define myself.
I'm some one who never had an interest in going to church, thought the bible was a bunch of fairy tails, dont believe in God, think the idea of creationism is absurd, I dont think about religion,i dont talk about religion and religion plays no role in my life and i have no wish to convert any one to my non religious ways of thinking.
I've always assumed this way of life described an atheist but reading many posts seem to imply atheism as some kind of alternate religion If thats the case what designation am i if not an atheist?

If your statement was true you would not feel the need to start a thread so you could make sure and label yourself as something non religious.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:29 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,993,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Links please.

Calling atheism a religion is the same as saying not collecting stanps is a hobby.

Atheist = Free from theism.
Nor do we have to be members of the local philatelists society, go to meetings, or pay dues.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:43 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,993,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The reason it carries baggage is because so many athiests spend time debating religion. Oftentimes as much, if not more than evangelical christians.
Do you have anything in your life you object to? Fluoride in your water system, a property tax increase you feel is unnecessary, a fence/leash law you disagree with, gun control, or anything else, can I assume that you remain silent and do not voice your opposition? That is the very thing you expect atheists to do, but I'm pretty sure you don't remain silent about what you oppose (you have actually proven that with the above).

Let me give you a hint, if the evangelical christians would just shut-up, the result would be silence from the atheists.

I don't give a damn what you believe, BUT when you believe you have the right to impose any of that on me through passage of civil laws, I will get in your face.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:32 AM

8,975 posts, read 6,515,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't understand why you would disagree. Any time I've looked up a definition, an atheist is simply a person that doesn't believe in any god or gods. How does Frozenyo's statement say there is a god, but he's incompetent?
Moderator cut: delete
Atheism is often defined wrong.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-27-2014 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: personal and sarcastic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or