Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 05:56 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Really I think history kind of answers you there. Man-kind of ran amok. They were er..... 'rationalists'. You guys are hard to trust!...;-)....
If you're so excited to live in a theocracy, why not move to somewhere like Iran or Uganda? Certainly those governments have to be more stable than the secular western democracies where rationalists have run amok. Enjoy your trip, try not to get beheaded for having the wrong imaginary friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
No I wouldn't want to suggest that. My post was to highliught the fact that an 'experiment' occurred and it failed dismally.
So
1. We had a moral order.
When, exactly? Be careful, we'll hold you to defending the morality ills of any time in history you try to whitewash.

For example, if you think pre-Russian revolution, say 1900-1910, was the pinnacle of moral thinking you get to explain why you'd advocate getting rid of women's suffrage and returning to institutionalized discrimination against various ethnic and religious groups. That's going to be a tough sell to most people, but feel free to try and explain yourself.

Last edited by KCfromNC; 02-12-2014 at 06:08 AM..

Old 02-12-2014, 06:53 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
In a way, I am glad you do get opposition and a good deal of it. You guys remind me of Dr. Frankenstein. Deep down with all that intellectual thinking you I'm afraid that do not know what you are dealing with. Man can be an unfathomable creature. You build ramparts but all I see is wispy vacuousness to a future devoid of 'God'. I do not think you care at all about consequences.
You are like a person terrified of flying and justifying it by pointing out the horrific details of every commercial and private aircraft crash known to man. I just keep flying around the country and enjoying the benefits.

Rather than singling out the plane crash of, say, Stalin or Pol Pot (granting for the sake of argument that the cause of those crashes even WAS atheism) why not consider the modern Danish, or any other irreligious secular liberal society. I cherry picked the Danish because they are always at or near the top of the various "happiness indexes" but there are plenty of such countries where people enjoy a quiet, prosperous existence with as much of what passes for happiness in this world as anyone can claim to have.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:31 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Tavric...Fishbrains has a good point (not the one about offering Arequipa up as a primary victim for dismemberment in a sort of Theist night of the Long Knives - Godwins' Law strikes ) but about if you didn't have fear of God...doing something to you if you didn't behave, you would run amok. Of course you wouldn't, no more than I would.

As I recall the saying, Religion is one of the ways to make a bad man behave well, but only religion will make a good man behave badly.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:50 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Your on to the thrust. What am I trying to say is that if we go 'godless' certain things follow. What would life be like? I have no idea conclusively. Yes, I can surmise and suppose. But it looks ot me if all that happens who writes the scripts? It is not enough to destroy. So I'd say let's go to the age old question and that is 'is everything permitted' then?

Clearly you have been programmed (yes, brainwashed) about deities born in ancient myth is so complete, and you lack the ability or the will to contemplate anything else.

The fact is, gods (all of them) are imaginary. An atheist merely understands that.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:36 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
Quote:
Clearly you have been programmed (yes, brainwashed) about deities born in ancient myth is so complete, and you lack the ability or the will to contemplate anything else.
Brainwashed! I love that word. That has to be the most used word in this area of CD! I have to find out its etymology and when it first came around. And on another note I'd say I had a pretty good education when I was taught in a religious environment.

Anyway, we're all perking here. I know it's evident that I show I don't trust the a-thesitic world view at all. Boy, we really are two different species...;-)....With all the science, the rationality used in looking at problems I think there are some i.e.the moral and spiritual problems in this world, that cannot be relegated to the type of analysis you are using to fashion that new world. Has to be beyond ken as to consequences. I have to say it just doesn't compute from my end.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:31 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
I think there are some i.e.the moral and spiritual problems in this world, that cannot be relegated to the type of analysis
Why not? I see nothing about morality or spiritually that makes it immune from scientific inquiry or commentary.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If your statement was true you would not feel the need to start a thread so you could make sure and label yourself as something non religious.
The thread was started to try to understand why all this talk about atheism when atheists dont care.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=9401095

Old 02-13-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Why not? I see nothing about morality or spiritually that makes it immune from scientific inquiry or commentary.
Nor has anyone here specified what particular approach to morality or spirituality has to be used in a secular society. He's created an implied strawman - not even said exactly what it is or what bothers him, just that he's irrationally terrified of it.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:07 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
No I wouldn't want to suggest that. My post was to highliught the fact that an 'experiment' occurred and it failed dismally.
So
1. We had a moral order.
2. It was technically overthrown-a new moraliy came in with a new rationalization.
3. It was wretched for humanity.

In a way, I am glad you do get opposition and a good deal of it. You guys remind me of Dr. Frankenstein. Deep down with all that intellectual thinking you I'm afraid that do not know what you are dealing with. Man can be an unfathomable creature. You build ramparts but all I see is wispy vacuousness to a future devoid of 'God'. I do not think you care at all about consequences.
You are hopelessly brainwashed.

I'm not afraid of your fictional big bad god and "him" punishing me for not being his servant. I live in reality and that is no invisible force is in control of anything.
Goes without saying the promise of an afterlife is a lie, just like religion and god belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism