Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 PM

167 posts, read 377,671 times

Advertisements

This is something I've been recently thinking about quite a bit - dating for atheists and agnostics. So, as an agnostic atheist myself, I have several questions to fellow agnostics and atheists and sharing your experiences to each question is much appreciated.

1. Would you or have you ever dated someone who wasn't an agnostic or atheist?

2. If you're an atheist, have you ever dated someone who was an agnostic and vice versa?

3. If you're willing to date a religious person, which religion would be very difficult for you to understand and date into?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 08:49 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
1. Yes I have. But most of them were "religious" in name only and never went to church other than on holidays and it just was a non-issue. I probably could not tolerate being with someone who was devoutly religious, and they probably could not tolerate me. But at the same time I don't expect everyone in the world to hold the exact same view as I do. That's no fun

2. Yes. It was no issue. For me, there are so many ways to relate to other people that I'm more interested in. Why would I let atheism dominate my dating life? Why would anyone else?

3. Definitely most fundamental/orthodox varietals of the larger religions whether it be Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc. Yeah that would be a deal-breaker. Other than that, I'm more interested in whether they are preoccupied with proselytizing other people or pushing their beliefs or whether they take a more "live and let live" mentality. I think I would get along best with Buddhists tbh.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:52 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. No.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:02 PM

501 posts, read 1,049,934 times
My wife is Catholic, but she is not a practicing one. Her family is deep cajun, and completely shocked about my atheism. It really has not affected our relationship one bit. She will even listen to my Dogma Debate podcasts, and I let her hang her grandmothers crucifix in our bedroom. We are all entitled to our own beliefs, and I believe in loving the person no matter what they are.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:00 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post

Well, I'm a relative metaphysical atheist - agnostic pandeist/panendeist. I have dated others who share this or a similar position.

Quote:
2. If you're an atheist, have you ever dated someone who was an agnostic and vice versa?
I've mostly dated nontheists in some form or fashion. My ex-husband is atheist/apatheist. Current beau is a nontheist

Quote:
3. If you're willing to date a religious person, which religion would be very difficult for you to understand and date into?

Thanks in advance.
Here's my approved list:

Quote:
Only if he were one (or more) of the following:

Reform or Reconstructionist Jew (more than likely a Humanist Jew)
Kabbalist (highly unlikely to find)
Neopagan (soft spot of Asatru, Hellenic Reconstructionism and Celtic)
Wiccan
Hindu (though more so Advaitist branch)
Buddhist (not picky about the branch)
Taoist
Pantheist
Panentheist
Pandeist
Panendeist
Theosophist
Shinto
Jain
Christian mythicist/mystic/pluralist (one with a very low or virtually non-existent Christology, otherwise, it is an absolute no-go)
Mazdayasni

Nontheistic positions:

Agnostic (per Huxley's definition)
Agnostic atheist
Agnostic deist
Agnostic pantheist/pandeist or panentheist/panendeist
Atheist (relative, positive or negative) *these are positions held within this category*
Ignostic ^

Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
Be not unequally yoked.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:53 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
I dated some hawt girls, because they were hawt, no other reason. Fun at first, but clearly all the beauty was on the outside.

One in particular I seriously pursued for a while but lost interest in because of her over the top religion (at least on Sunday) came back to town (move to CA due to the guy she married drafted for Vietnam) and all I could think, OMG did I dodge a dumb dumb bullet with this one, and Garth Brooks song "Unanswered Prayers".

Wife of 44+ is probably closer to agnostic than atheists, so much more a partner in life that the flighty religious chick could hope for.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:55 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Be not unequally yoked.
If you view marriage as being yoked, you have my sympathy.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:19 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
Of course. I have always judged potential partners based on the entire package and everything about them. Not one single attribute about them. In fact I find the idea of focusing on one single thing about a person when deciding whether to partner with them or not..... somewhat weird.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
This is something I've been recently thinking about quite a bit - dating for atheists and agnostics. So, as an agnostic atheist myself, I have several questions to fellow agnostics and atheists and sharing your experiences to each question is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
These are not questions i would concern myself with because as an atheist the questions are irrelevant to a romantic relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism