U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 06:43 AM

39,146 posts, read 10,857,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
There is the standard account of the person who was shot in his car as an innocent bystander of a gang shooting. He has emergency surgery, survives, and then when he returns to work, thanks god for making the gunshot non-fatal. I would wonder why god had not worked his magic and made the bullet miss entirely. Given such accounts, if I were a theist I would be annoyed with god. If someone simply punches me in the face for no reason, I'm not going to thank them for not stabbing me. I would hold god to the same standard. Generally, believers do not.

But such stories are common and they allow people to explain a higher being even though no actual evidence is there.
'Such a question...! If God hadn't made me sick, how could He make me well?' (Harry. Kemmelman)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,966,937 times
Find some horrific event that happened about the same time and tell her she is self-centered and selfish as while god was retrieving her phone for her, a family of 5 children died in a house fire or whatever tragic event you find.

Then ask, do you really think god retrieving your phone is a good trade off vs. not saving the lives of 5 children?

Old 01-29-2014, 09:23 PM

40,086 posts, read 26,750,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Mordant, once again you've managed to take my few simple sentences and tell it exactly as I mean, but never can find the words. Thank you!

We need a great big laughing gif!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:08 PM

599 posts, read 693,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Ok - just how much does it bug you to hear someone say or read from someone's letter, email or other post the trivial attributed to God?

My example: Just read a FB post of a lady who lost her phone in a cab while out of town and was lucky enough to have it returned to her. She praised God for being in control of her life and tending to every detail.

Really??? God got you your cell phone back????

This is, to me, the height of egocentrism, the embodiment of the watering down of God, and the arrogance of Christians with respect to others.

God didn't get your phone back. That cab driver did.
Argh, I used to work with a woman like this. She was forever saying things like "I was running late this morning so I prayed to God to save me a good parking spot, and he did!" Really? God has nothing better to do than be your personal errand boy? Egocentrism and arrogance indeed. Or maybe I'm jaded because I'm an atheist.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:44 AM

540 posts, read 570,532 times
From this article in CNN today (For some fans, Super Bowl has supernatural twist):

Quote:
According to a poll released in January by the Public Religion Research Institute, about half of all Americans believe that some element of the supernatural plays a role in sporting events.
Quote:
Football fans tend to be more supernaturally inclined than baseball or basketball devotees, the PRRI poll found. Thatís probably because football is most popular in the South and Midwest, the most religious parts of the country, Jones said.

Personally, I'm praying for some really cute puppy antics during the Puppy Bowl.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:29 PM

5,563 posts, read 6,320,949 times
God is trying to tell you folk, football is actually a game played with the feet not with hands.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:54 PM

4,510 posts, read 3,916,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
God is trying to tell you folk, football is actually a game played with the feet not with hands.
What?

Like soccer???

Old 02-01-2014, 04:36 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,638,002 times
Sam Harris nails it, specifically in relation to the OP, from 3:50 onwards - The Perfection of Narcissism.

Sam Harris - Morality and the Christian God - YouTube

Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,892,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Catholics had patron saints for just about everything. My mother always used to pray to Saint Anthony when she needed help finding a parking space. Apparently this Anthony was the patron saint of parking. I took it all at face value when I was a kid, but thinking about it years later, what sort of gig was that for this poor Anthony guy? He lives a devout life, dies and goes to heaven for his reward, only to discover he has been assigned to be a perpetual parking lot attendant.

How would that have worked? My mother is circling around, unable to find an open space, prays to Saint Anthony...and what exactly would Tony do? Cause someone to leave whatever they were doing, go back to their cars and exit in order to free up a spot for my mother? Create an entirely new space where none existed before? If indeed the space was found due to some sort of intervention by Anthony, what could that intervention possibly have been? What would Anthony do if two Catholic motorist were both driving around the same area looking for a spot? Create two spaces? Award the one space created to the more devout of the two?
Ha ha ha!!! LMAO!!!

This was a great post! I bet Saint Tony just glad he wasn't Saint Francis. I mean, the name for starters and then theres the animal detail. I just love watching Catholics reason their way through life. The Catholic religion is one of most favorite to dig into and learn. Such superstition and "silence"

Old 02-04-2014, 08:38 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,892,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I wonder what she made of the Pope's doves being attacked the other day?

Pope Francis Dove Release Elicits Scolding From National Animal Protection Agency
See, St. Francis is a wimp. Since we eat animals, he was put on a "no real work required" mission. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism