Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 11:26 PM

608 posts, read 482,281 times

Advertisements

So. I am an Atheist,and love to read so what should I read? I see no reason to try and convince others of my non belief in god etc but always love to read things that are in my mind set. My favorite book so far was Letter To a Christian Nation...enjoyed it a lot. So what else should I read? Also what's best book to introduce a child to it or should I just try and steer them into letting them make their own decision on religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 11:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
For kids (depending on their age)

The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True by Richard Dawkins (10 and up)
Why Don't We Go to Church by Gail Miller and Rosalind Eagle (6 and up)
What Do You Believe? by DK publishing (introduction to the many world religions and philosophies) (probably 8 and up)
Lots of books on cosmology
Born with a Bang by Jennifer Morgan
From Lava to Life by Jennifer Morgan
Mammals Who Morph by Jennifer Morgan
Older than Stars by Karen C. Fox (4 year old and up)
Life Story by Virginia Lee Burton
Our Family Tree: An Evolution Story by Lisa Westberg Peters (4 year old and up)

For parents: Raising Freethinkers: A Practical Guide for Parenting Beyond Belief by Dale McGowan

For adults, depending on interest
The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen J. Gould
God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens
Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
The Ebony Exodus Project: Why Some Black Women Are Walking out on Religion—and Others Should Too by Candace R. M. Gorham
Moral Combat: Black Atheists, Gender Politics, and the Values Wars by Sikivu Hutchinson
Doubt: A History: The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson by Jennifer Michael Hecht
Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism by Susan Jacoby

Old 01-27-2014, 12:15 AM

608 posts, read 482,281 times
Thank You! Just added several to my to read list.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:13 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
A couple that come to mind are:

The End of Faith by Sam Harris, and
The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan

The later is only tangentially about atheism - rather, it could easily be subtitled 'Why People Believe Baseless Nonsense', most of which said nonsense in the book is not religious in nature.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:48 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
For kids (depending on their age)

The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True by Richard Dawkins (10 and up)
Why Don't We Go to Church by Gail Miller and Rosalind Eagle (6 and up)
What Do You Believe? by DK publishing (introduction to the many world religions and philosophies) (probably 8 and up)
Lots of books on cosmology
Born with a Bang by Jennifer Morgan
From Lava to Life by Jennifer Morgan
Mammals Who Morph by Jennifer Morgan
Older than Stars by Karen C. Fox (4 year old and up)
Life Story by Virginia Lee Burton
Our Family Tree: An Evolution Story by Lisa Westberg Peters (4 year old and up)

For parents: Raising Freethinkers: A Practical Guide for Parenting Beyond Belief by Dale McGowan

For adults, depending on interest
The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen J. Gould
God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens
Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
The Ebony Exodus Project: Why Some Black Women Are Walking out on Religion—and Others Should Too by Candace R. M. Gorham
Moral Combat: Black Atheists, Gender Politics, and the Values Wars by Sikivu Hutchinson
Doubt: A History: The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson by Jennifer Michael Hecht
Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism by Susan Jacoby

for kids? i recently got that book and i LOVE it! lol
when my kids were born last year, i started buying and collecting some great science books by Dr. Dawkins and Carl Sagan. I hope the kids will appreciate it when they get a bit older and can read them.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:17 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
for kids? i recently got that book and i LOVE it! lol
when my kids were born last year, i started buying and collecting some great science books by Dr. Dawkins and Carl Sagan. I hope the kids will appreciate it when they get a bit older and can read them.
There's an iPad App for that book. Yes, it is a great book for adults too. He wrote it for 12 and up, but my 10 year old loved it too.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:23 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
I don't believe in pink unicorns, and I don't read books about not believing in pink unicorns.

I don't believe in leprechauns, and I don't read books about not believing in leprechauns.

....... there is a trend here

Old 01-28-2014, 11:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I don't believe in pink unicorns, and I don't read books about not believing in pink unicorns.

I don't believe in leprechauns, and I don't read books about not believing in leprechauns.

....... there is a trend here
Indeed. I have not a single book by Dawkins or Hitchens, and say that as a fact, not as a boast. I am sure I'd love to read them, but I do not need to read why they don't believe in God.

Instead I read posts and books and sites by those who disagree and then find out whether their arguments stand up.

I am part of your trend. But many are not and to those who feel a need to see what the are arguments for unbelief, I applaud.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:09 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,358 times
The Magic of Reality by Dawkins is phenomenal, there is no other way to put this. My entire junior high and high school education was at a fundamental baptist school. This book really opened my eyes to what science really is, and made me feel ashamed about how little I really knew about the world.

Letter to a Christian Nation is great too, although I am an atheist, I just can't get on board with some of Sam Harris's view points. Overall, top notch though.

I know that most people would say the God Delusion, but I just find it to be Dawkins preaching from a pedestal for the most part, but I still liked it enough to have him personally sign it.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:05 AM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

But you sure do make posts about not believing in leprechauns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism