U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:02 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,581,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
This is something I've been recently thinking about quite a bit - dating for atheists and agnostics. So, as an agnostic atheist myself, I have several questions to fellow agnostics and atheists and sharing your experiences to each question is much appreciated.

1. Would you or have you ever dated someone who wasn't an agnostic or atheist?

2. If you're an atheist, have you ever dated someone who was an agnostic and vice versa?

3. If you're willing to date a religious person, which religion would be very difficult for you to understand and date into?

Thanks in advance.

I have. I grew up Catholic, so I've dated Catholics. Also dated Protestants and Jews. None of them were very religious, except one Jew was hung up on getting his religion once he had kids. Needless to say, that didn't work out.

I would not be willing to date a religious person. A believer, fine. But someone who talks about his deity and praying, no. With the possible exception of a Unitarian-Universalist, I wouldn't date someone who regularly attends services or is active in his local congregation or religious community, either. I would prefer an atheist or agnostic, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 05:02 AM

39,541 posts, read 11,024,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I went quickly through a few posts and I think someone else expressed something like this; as an atheist, you are a disbeliever, and in a relationship, the dynamic between an atheist and a theist is different when compared to two theists of different beliefs. Unlike the religiously devout, you have no money on the table, so to speak. So as long as you are not hounded to join a religious belief of a romantic partner, the belief of that other person is really kind of irrelevant, strictly speaking. If it bothers you that the romantic partner has a belief that you do not believe to be valid, then at least in our society, the problem is more in you rather than in them. The best analogy I can come up with is a non-seafood lover dating someone who loves seafood. The relationship can work fine just as long as they respect each other's preferences. But when one tries to push their belief onto the other, problems arise.

The question would be better posed to the devoutly religious in terms of dating atheists.
Good post. But for the atheist or agnostic or even irreligious theist, there is the dynamic to have no problem. The analogy would be someone who cannot eat seafood and someone who loves it. They would need to have a lot of tolerance for the others' eating habits.

But the atheist, agnostic, etc, can eat pretty much anything. So long as there is no insistence that nothing but seafood is fit to eat, there should be no problem and, if there is, it is all on the seafood side.

Which is in fact what I found. The problem only arose with those who felt that anyone who ate the wrong food was not a fit person to date.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:13 PM

9,003 posts, read 6,535,871 times
Quote:
1. Would you or have you ever dated someone who wasn't an agnostic or atheist?
I have not in many years.

Quote:
2. If you're an atheist, have you ever dated someone who was an agnostic and vice versa?
Not sure I get the question. Would I date an agnostic? Definitely. I cannot recall that I ever have, however.
I only know one atheist and we are in a LDR.

Quote:
3. If you're willing to date a religious person, which religion would be very difficult for you to understand and date into?
I don't think I could do it. It is too important of an issue for me.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:20 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,443,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Be not unequally yoked.

I stay away from egg yokes for the most part (too high in cholesterol) and just consume the egg whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism