Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,317,040 times

Advertisements

Bit of a moral question for you. Do you feel it's wrong for an atheist to own a clothing company that sells christian graphic t-shirts and other accessories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,435,587 times
Is it wrong to produce and sell Justin Bieber t-shirts if you're not a fan?

Is it wrong to sell Kosher products if you're not a Jew?

Is it wrong to include vegetarian items on your restaurant's menu if you eat meat?

Old 02-19-2014, 07:04 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,977,874 times
You mean as in "Only Christians should be able to economically exploit other Christians?"

Why would this bother the atheist? He or she does not recognize the concept of sin, so it isn't a moral issue for them. As for the Christians, if they are foolish enough to want to purchase such foo fooery, but insist that it be vended by a fellow Christian, then they are free to exercise their own discretion.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:47 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,426,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Bit of a moral question for you. Do you feel it's wrong for an atheist to own a clothing company that sells christian graphic t-shirts and other accessories?
The most non-sequitur post of the week.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 PM

278 posts, read 306,062 times
I wouldn't do it, but it wouldn't be for moral reasons, it would be on principals.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:07 PM

501 posts, read 1,045,450 times
If so, Jeff Bezos, owner and founder of Amazon.com would be screwed. Bezos is an atheist, and you can bet that amazon sells pretty much every christian book, video, or trinket you can imagine. Business is business. I wouldn't say its a "sin" for us to do it

Old 02-20-2014, 12:18 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,317,040 times
Yeah, I didn't know why it would be a problem. My brother owns a christian clothing company that is mildly successful. He's slowly realized over the past few years that he's an atheist. He was thinking about selling or closing his business. I told him he didn't need to. He just wanted to have some other opinions on the topic.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:29 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,174,082 times
The corner store in my neighborhood is owned by Mormons. They sell energy drinks, tobacco and alcohol. I don't judge.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:01 AM

37,048 posts, read 41,983,791 times
No. I've always wanted to do something like that for my own personal gain. When there is a ready made market of people who go out of their way to spend money on things (crap) to display their beliefs you would almost be a fool NOT to do it!

I've had ideas in the past, but I don't have the follow through.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:07 AM

19,750 posts, read 13,283,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
The only thing I can figure out that you mean by this posing a moral dilemma for you is the idea that you're promoting or encouraging Christian ideology. Sort of like when someone you know to be crazy is walking toward you on the street and you tell the person you're walking with, "don't make eye contact".

I don't really have a problem with it; I'd tend to treat it sort of like locals in a tourist area selling useless trinkets to vacationers. It's a living, and if you don't do it, someone else will.

On the other hand, if it bugs you that much, maybe find some other products to sell. I did something like this years ago when I was offered a lucrative contract with RJ Reynolds tobacco. I knew that I could not for any amount of $$ advance the cause of a company that cynically profits from addiction and participates in people contracting cancer and has a history of cranking out denialist propaganda about the harms caused by smoking. So I turned it down (shrug). But I can't say this was anything other than a moral grey area at best; if I knew the guy who ultimately got that work, I wouldn't judge him for taking it. This was about me and what makes me feel like my work is purposeful.

Last edited by mordant; 02-20-2014 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism