U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 07:31 PM

335 posts, read 328,102 times

Advertisements

is Mark Burnett sincere? Or is he taking advantage of christians to make money (since so many will watch)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 04:26 AM

39,207 posts, read 10,887,543 times
I doubt that he is evangelizing. He may be sincere about wanting to make a good series about what he considers a significant historical character.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:15 PM

2,384 posts, read 1,559,961 times
What are you referring to? The Son of God movie? That's just a guess on my part. Can you be more forthcoming with what you are talking about?

Old 02-24-2014, 04:20 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,094,403 times
I think Burnett and his wife are some species of Christians themselves so I'm sure in his mind he's just promoting Christian ideals and values. It probably makes it easier that he can turn a profit, but I think he's basically sincere. Of course what you or I think doesn't really matter; he doesn't, and shouldn't, require our approval to be what he is and do what he does.

What is legitimate is to question the Christ myth he is promoting, whatever his motivations.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:10 PM

41,130 posts, read 18,599,788 times
Mark Burnett is just one more hustler in the entertainment world who happens to have a very relaxed definition of "reality" as evidenced by his reality shows. There is a reason that the contestants are required to sign a confidentiality agreement which prohibits their revealing anything about what really takes place. The audience receives a heavily edited set of scenes of people who are hyper aware that they are on camera, woven into the plotline of the week. Contestants who became popular with the audiences early in the show's season, seemed to enjoy uncommonly good luck in enduring to the end.

That is what Burnett calls a reality show. If he brings his Survivor standards to this religious production, then we will be getting the same distorted dynamic, all concerns ultimately subordinated to the needs of a successful show.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
What are you referring to? The Son of God movie? That's just a guess on my part. Can you be more forthcoming with what you are talking about?
Yep. The Son of God series. That is the only thing he has done that really concerns this forum, and is moreover soon to be released.

On the evidence of those two facts, Son of God' is almost certainly what we are referring to.

I did read up on him and received no particular indication that he is interested in evangelizing Christianity but he might always have been a believer or at least took it as probably true...'I mean, it was all written down by eyewitness followers, wasn't it?'

Rather in the way that Spielberg got interested in making ET/UFO movies, Burnett might have got interested in the story. Quite a lot of people are interested in the story. I am interested in the story.

These films about the Jesus story can be very good. There were a lot of very creditable points about Mel Gibson's 'passion' movie.The reason I am disinclined to watch is the same reason I am disinclined to watch movies about Noah's Ark - because I am convinced it isn't true. And such movies tend just to put the story on film making it appear to work and without asking a single question about it.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-25-2014 at 03:58 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 02:34 PM

2,384 posts, read 1,559,961 times
I was disappointed to see the ads for the Son of God show. In this day and age, we don't need more of this stuff! Personally, I think there are so many more and better and more uplifting stories than those found in the bible. Just a quick glimpse into real history reveals many wonderful stories waiting to be told. This type of thing is a waste of time, money and effort and reinforces a lot of dunderheads in their belief system. It's easier to be a sheep when you see what a large herd there is. lol

Old 02-27-2014, 03:29 AM

I do agree. Of course, there is a place for fantasy, but I can bet there is an almost instinctive inclination to make this as real as a Private Ryan landing on Omaha beach, rather than a fantastical toboggan ride as per Indiana Jones.

Intentionally or not, Son of God, Noah and the passion film are all saying 'This is real: this really happened like it says in the Bible'.

That amounts to evangelization and it gets up my nose, frankly. There ought to be a Ghost Hunt - type disclaimer 'This is based on myth and is not presented as historical reality' as there should be a Government health warning on every Bible, but of course, we have a lot of work to do before we can expect to be able to require that.

Right now such a request would be seen as 'More New Atheist Fanaticism'.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:19 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,094,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Intentionally or not, Son of God, Noah and the passion film are all saying 'This is real: this really happened like it says in the Bible'.

That amounts to evangelization and it gets up my nose, frankly. There ought to be a Ghost Hunt - type disclaimer 'This is based on myth and is not presented as historical reality' as there should be a Government health warning on every Bible ...
I'm willing to bet that ironically the standard legal disclaimer in fine print somewhere in the closing credits is that the characters are fictional and any resemblance to real persons is purely coincidental ;-)

I don't see why there is a need to specifically disown it as fantasy any more than there is a need to do so for, say, the Hobbit movies. Even movies that are "based on a true story" are widely regarded as victims of dramatic license when it comes to Hollywood output.

In fact I would argue that Noah is standard Hollywood fantasy / adventure that just happens to draw from the Bible; what is wrong with that film is that the timid suits at the studio were cowed by focus groups into making some modifications to make it more palatable (or at least less objectionable) to evangelicals -- something the director said had never been done to him before. THAT is the crux of what you're getting at, I think. At least it will serve as an incentive to other producers and directors to steer clear of the Bible as source material -- ironically because of those who claim to most revere the Bible and want to see it promoted. If you film, say, Tolkien, the only ox you can possibly gore is that of a Tolkien enthusiast, and they don't claim the authority of god himself, backed by hellthreat, etc., if you don't comply with their demands.

If evangelicals want full respect for their myths they are only going to get it by making their own films on their own dime, which is more what is happening with Son of God. And that is their right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism