U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:18 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,094,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Oh believe me I am quite sure of what I was meant to do but the issue is no one wants to give me a chance. Everytime I look for what I think I could do, it always has a certain amount of experience next to the job listing.
Yeah it can be tough. Too many people with degrees waiting tables and pumping gas these days. If your'e not finding work anyway, can you get a paid or even unpaid internship in the field just for the experience?

I made my initial contacts in software development back in the early 1980's quite by accident, by taking a seasonal (Christmas) job out of desperation at a Radio Shack Computer Center. I was a lousy sales person but the only person in the store who knew what I was doing, and customers would ask for me and I'd end up solving problems for them all day. Eventually they took me out on sales calls with their field people so we could do combined hardware and software solutions.

If you can't find what you want, find something vaguely related and look for opportunities.

I'll shut up now, though, this is getting off topic ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You just made that up, didn't you? It could be something else tomorrow.
Indeed it might.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:39 PM

41,121 posts, read 18,599,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Indeed it might.
It could vary with mood, but would probably be the same sentiment expressed in another way, like "Every day brings a new surprise" if you are feeling chipper, or "You do whatever you can get away with, and then you die" if you are feeling cynical.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:52 AM

39,206 posts, read 10,887,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3455 View Post
I became an atheist awhile ago, it just gradually happened. I no longer could believe in many of the things that religion asks you to believe in.
As that happened, I lost a MAJOR security blanket, the notion that there is an afterlife and you don't just disappear after death.
This doesn't bother me so much while in the daytime but a few times, while asleep or half asleep, I find myself thinking about dying and just being… nothing. That or just floating in nothingness, like limbo, which I realize is nonsense. But it's fear of mortality, fear of death, fear of ceasing to be anything. Sometimes, I wake with a start, sometimes briefly yell out like I'm startled and then I startle my wife.

Anyone else? How did you cope with it? Does it ever go away?
Never, entirely. Just as fear of the dark (more specifically the Unseen and unknown threats possibly out there) never entirely goes away. In fact we like the dark. It is the unseen and unknown threat that unnerves us, instinctively. Fear of death is the challenge to the evolved need to survive. The will to continue. It is so strong that we believe that, even if the body dies, the essential 'Us' continues. That is why the belief in ghosts and souls (and a variety of ideas about where they go) is universal in humans.
The trick is to understand where the fear comes from and being able to deal with it.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
It could vary with mood, but would probably be the same sentiment expressed in another way, like "Every day brings a new surprise" if you are feeling chipper, or "You do whatever you can get away with, and then you die" if you are feeling cynical.
When I say we all make it up as we go I'm not literally suggesting we just do random things, only that we improvise as best we can with imperfect knowledge and experience. We get more precise as we get older, but what the young need to understand is that the peers they are always comparing themselves to are just as inexperienced as they are and they are feeling their way along as well.

Some people are wise beyond their years but even they don't have an adequate substitute for the experience and perspective that can only come with time.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:36 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,673,793 times
Quote:
I became an atheist awhile ago, it just gradually happened. I no longer could believe in many of the things that religion asks you to believe in.
As that happened, I lost a MAJOR security blanket, the notion that there is an afterlife and you don't just disappear after death.
This doesn't bother me so much while in the daytime but a few times, while asleep or half asleep, I find myself thinking about dying and just being… nothing. That or just floating in nothingness, like limbo, which I realize is nonsense. But it's fear of mortality, fear of death, fear of ceasing to be anything. Sometimes, I wake with a start, sometimes briefly yell out like I'm startled and then I startle my wife.

I would say most of my nightmares are about my mortality. Specifically about surviving. A lot of them (the ones I can remember) are me being placed in difficult and dangerous situations. I think the most scary ones I had as of recent stem from my watching 28 days later (fast zombies = scary for me). Anyways a lot of chasing, running, hiding, etc. The ones I remember were very intense and seemed very real. They we're quite an experience. But as for after death and nothingness.....nope not a thing. Sorry I can't help you with that one.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:01 PM

2,890 posts, read 4,208,602 times
Quote:

Contrary to popular opinion, you don't just become nothing, one of the laws of thermodynamics deals with the conservation of energy, where it states that energy can not be created or destroyed but it can change forms. So when you die the energy that your atoms contain will go on, so in a sense you don't become nothing, you become something else.

To worry about ones death is an exercise in futility, as it is said, no one gets out of this life alive. I have had a number of dreams to where I am killed, waking up just verifies that they were just dreams. LOL

Old 03-02-2014, 02:49 PM

41,121 posts, read 18,599,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
When I say we all make it up as we go I'm not literally suggesting we just do random things, only that we improvise as best we can with imperfect knowledge and experience. We get more precise as we get older, but what the young need to understand is that the peers they are always comparing themselves to are just as inexperienced as they are and they are feeling their way along as well.

Some people are wise beyond their years but even they don't have an adequate substitute for the experience and perspective that can only come with time.
Oh, I understood, and I agree, we are just improvising our way through life, there is no correct formula. More often than not when I do express this idea, it comes out as the cynical version..."You do whatever you can get away with and then you die."

Humans do not come with operator manuals but some people seem to feel that they should. They seek that correct formula and they are the ones who embrace lifestyles which come with codes...military, monastery, incarcerated by the state, those are all lifestyles with the common element being a massive reduction in the number of decisions that you have to make and that is the factor which I see as the prime motivation...fear of making decisions. The remedy is finding a situation where the majority of your decisions are made for you. Religion has a lot of appeal for someone who is paralyzed when presented with choices.

It is in decision making where we encounter that element of the unknown, will I be better or worse, or no different as a consequence of this decision? There is where you are making it up as you go along, making choices when you are uncertain of the outcome.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:27 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,496,229 times
Quote:
The actualization of the fear is also the solution, you are speaking of existential angst and the only absolute cure is death.

There isn't really anything to fear about being dead, you will not be aware of it, you will not be frustrated by not being alive, it will be the same state you were in before you were conceived and you handled that well enough, didn't you?
I will tell you that I have a fear of death, and the subsequent nothingness, and I have heard your point of view many times. All I can say is that I don't think you get it. It is as though you are telling the individual why he will not fear death after he is dead. Us folks who fear death know that when we are dead the fear stops. We fear death today, while we are alive.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:31 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
No, not really.

Dead happens to everyone. Billions are already dead. The world kept turning. Once you accept that you are a tiny speck on a tiny speck planet in a tiny speck galaxy, you get over yourself.
I fear death but I know the world will go on without me. I don't fear death based on how my death will effect the world. I also know that I am not some all-important person, but still, my life is a pretty big deal to me. The notion of not having it I find troubling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism