U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:46 PM

3,682 posts, read 4,945,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

There isn't really anything to fear about being dead, you will not be aware of it, you will not be frustrated by not being alive, it will be the same state you were in before you were conceived and you handled that well enough, didn't you?

Although what you mention is absolutely true, it is not the whole story. The fear, although unrealistic 'once' you are dead, is very real 'now' when you are still alive. it's the fear of unknown....the fear of not being there....the fear of missing the party and the party going on without you (as hitchens puts it)......that fear, i think is very rational actually.
For most of us, it's not really a matter of what will happen when we die....because as you put it, it's very likely that the answer is that it is the same state that we were in prior to being born...nothingness.....
The fear or angst is that we "ARE" going to die....sooner or later....and then we won't be here/there/anywhere any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,102,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Although what you mention is absolutely true, it is not the whole story. The fear, although unrealistic 'once' you are dead, is very real 'now' when you are still alive.
I don't think it's realistic while you are alive either because it isn't actionable. Angst about anything is wasted if you can't do anything about it.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:40 AM

3,682 posts, read 4,945,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't think it's realistic while you are alive either because it isn't actionable. Angst about anything is wasted if you can't do anything about it.
True, and hypothetically, when you are able to understand that logic, you aren't 'supposed' to be afraid anymore....however, we all know that this isn't the reality. People, such as myself, understand fully what you describe above; yet, the fear of death and its "negative" impacts are still bothersome (if i dwell on it.....which i normally don't).

Old 03-12-2014, 09:04 AM

39,242 posts, read 10,913,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Although what you mention is absolutely true, it is not the whole story. The fear, although unrealistic 'once' you are dead, is very real 'now' when you are still alive. it's the fear of unknown....the fear of not being there....the fear of missing the party and the party going on without you (as hitchens puts it)......that fear, i think is very rational actually.
For most of us, it's not really a matter of what will happen when we die....because as you put it, it's very likely that the answer is that it is the same state that we were in prior to being born...nothingness.....
The fear or angst is that we "ARE" going to die....sooner or later....and then we won't be here/there/anywhere any longer.
Yes. But somehow, the slightly edgy fear that I had while contemplating this (rather similar to the mental boggle I had wondering if the universe ended...what was beyond, when I should have been paying attention in the maths class) whether I have thought it out, have grown up or whether atheism has something to do with it, it doesn't bother me any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism