Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 11:05 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,725 times

Advertisements

Just watched the movie "Noah", my wife downloaded it because she thought it would be a fun movie to watch since there's been so few movies to choose from worth anything lately.

As an atheist, it was still surprisingly funny to watch. It exasperates the amount of silliness of the entire story and makes you wonder -- How can people believe this stuff? Granted, the rock formed giants and such are more movie interpretations (I hope!). Any drama in the movie was solved by two words -- God's will. Tough decision? God's will. Moral compass? God's will. Whether or not to let a girl die in a bear trap instead of giving her a chance at life with your son? God's will.

Crazy.

Anyone else see it, and your thoughts?

Noah (2014) - IMDb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 03:26 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
I remember a cartoon frame someone posted showing carnivorous dinosaurs (the ones not selected as 'Kinds') charging through the rain roaring: 'Destroy the Ark!' I'm a bit disappointed that didn't make it into the film.

Somewhere between Mel Gibson's passion and the Life of Brian as whether it makes a case for the Bible -story or makes it a bit of a joke.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:53 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
I heard an interview with the director of this movie (have not seen it yet). In grammar school he won some sort of prize for a story he wrote about Noah's Ark from the POV of the drowning people and animals left behind, hating Noah and pleading for his help as they went under for the third time. It started a lifelong fascination with the many aspects of this whole idea. Thinking about just this one Bible story makes you wonder what kind of image people have of God and why they would worship someone they believe deliberately drowned almost everyone on earth. (Is this what they mean when they say someone is "God-Fearing"?)

And how can they believe that a boat someone slapped together in a short time could hold a breeding pair of every animal on earth??? How can you have a viable population of a whole species based on the two specimens sick and weak enough for you to catch and trap on your boat? What about animals, like ants and bees, that only live in colonies? What about animals that live nowhere near the Middle East, like elephant seals? What about animals that breed in groups, like garter snakes? Oh, the problems with this story!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:24 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
I thought the high speed ark chase scene was a gratuitous addition, and having Noah standing on the bow of the ark shouting "I'm king of the world!" was cringe worthy.

Actually....I have not seen the film. That I ever shall see it.....God's will.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I heard an interview with the director of this movie (have not seen it yet). In grammar school he won some sort of prize for a story he wrote about Noah's Ark from the POV of the drowning people and animals left behind, hating Noah and pleading for his help as they went under for the third time. It started a lifelong fascination with the many aspects of this whole idea. Thinking about just this one Bible story makes you wonder what kind of image people have of God and why they would worship someone they believe deliberately drowned almost everyone on earth. (Is this what they mean when they say someone is "God-Fearing"?)

And how can they believe that a boat someone slapped together in a short time could hold a breeding pair of every animal on earth??? How can you have a viable population of a whole species based on the two specimens sick and weak enough for you to catch and trap on your boat? What about animals, like ants and bees, that only live in colonies? What about animals that live nowhere near the Middle East, like elephant seals? What about animals that breed in groups, like garter snakes? Oh, the problems with this story!
The question I've always had is the earthworms. The earthworm species in the new world are different from those of the old world. So you have to imagine all the new world species heading east (most likely), swimming across the atlantic, getting themselves overland to the middle east - and then making the trip back a couple months later. My mind totally boggles.

Don't even get me started on the pill bugs.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:57 AM

12,266 posts, read 2,966,052 times
It's sad that in this day and age that films supporting any mythology as fact are produced. Many otherwise intelligent, but brainwashed people will go see a film like this and carry on believing the ridiculousness therein. Maybe the silver lining is some adults will realize how ridiculous the beliefs they've swallowed really are. Maybe some eyes will be opened. That's about the only good thing that can come of such films imo.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:19 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
I'm an atheist and I don't mind films that tell mythological stories. Lord of the Rings movies were great. What's absurd are the people who argue over whether the movie was a "true" rendition of non-mythological fact. I would have gone to see Noah except that critic reviews were almost unanimous in declaring it just plain bad.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:13 PM

500 posts, read 319,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post

Aw come on now... I figure that if millions upon millions of people believe that they are actually eating the body and drinking the blood of a Jewish guy who got himself strung up in a particularly nasty way over two thousand years ago, with nary a thought given to faux cannibalism, they will believe anything!

Noah's story is just one of the great big whoppers which should alert folks to the true nature of their gawd. But no, they continue to "love" and to contribute millions, if not billions of dollars to their gawd's spokespeople.

Go figure.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:35 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
Aw come on now... I figure that if millions upon millions of people believe that they are actually eating the body and drinking the blood of a Jewish guy who got himself strung up in a particularly nasty way over two thousand years ago, with nary a thought given to faux cannibalism, they will believe anything!
Noah's story is just one of the great big whoppers which should alert folks to the true nature of their gawd. But no, they continue to "love" and to contribute millions, if not billions of dollars to their gawd's spokespeople.
Go figure.
The stories in the Bible are not supposed to be considered history . . . but you are correct that many do. The Communion ritual is not supposed to be considered real either . . . though the Catholics uniformly are told it is. It is something to be done simply to bring to our remembrance the achievement of Christ for us all as our "designated hitter." The existence of irrational beliefs in the religions is probably deserving of ridicule on some level . . . but the underlying belief in God is not. We are only human and our errors do not define God or the possibility of God. If you know there is no God . . . perhaps you should present it. Your ridicule of the absurdities in religious belief won't work for that purpose. People are not focused on the stories when they worship God. They are focused on love . . . not a bad focus even if it is temporary. Too bad it is so often followed by intolerance and bigotry in supposed defense of what they think God wants.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:01 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The stories in the Bible are not supposed to be considered history . . . but you are correct that many do. The Communion ritual is not supposed to be considered real either . . . though the Catholics uniformly are told it is. It is something to be done simply to bring to our remembrance the achievement of Christ for us all as our "designated hitter." The existence of irrational beliefs in the religions is probably deserving of ridicule on some level . . . but the underlying belief in God is not. We are only human and our errors do not define God or the possibility of God. If you know there is no God . . . perhaps you should present it. Your ridicule of the absurdities in religious belief won't work for that purpose. People are not focused on the stories when they worship God. They are focused on love . . . not a bad focus even if it is temporary. Too bad it is so often followed by intolerance and bigotry in supposed defense of what they think God wants.
So we should all be like you, eh? Believe only what you tell us is worth believing in this bible of yours and about this god of yours?

Take your word and perceived "facts" and base a belief system on them? I don't think so. You have flip flopped on this forum to many times to be given credence on these issues and shown "bigotry" towards those who do not follow you blindly.

It appears that, to you, only your beliefs (of the moment) are worth anything. To many they are worthless and not to given consideration as to having any veracity at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism