U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2015, 06:14 AM
 
13,493 posts, read 5,028,654 times
Reputation: 1368

Advertisements

almost every post I post (99%) is talking to those three stooges me, myself, and I too . That trio can screw up a one car funeral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2015, 06:44 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 5,292,582 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDweller View Post
Atheism and agnosticism tell me nothing about the religious beliefs of a person other than the fact that the person does not believe in deities or is uncertain about the existence of deities. In that respect, do you identify yourself as religious atheist/agnostic or irreligious atheist/agnostic?
I identify as none of the above at all. I identify as someone who does not believe, use or subscribe to a proposition that is offered to me without any substantiation. Simple as that.

Now GIVEN that the idea there is a god is one that comes before us with no arguments, evidence, data or reasoning to support it.... I therefore do not subscribe to, use or believe that proposition.

So "atheism" as some people call it is a consequence of my world view, it is not in and of itself my world view. My world view is, as I said, not to believe that which I am given no reason to believe. Simples.

And this is not a world view I found my way into. I appear to have always been that way. I can recall no point in my life where I ever did think there was a god or a santa claus. From the youngest age my brain seems to have naturally by itself taken on the stance that no matter what someone said, if they offered no reason for me to believe what they said.... then I simply did not believe it.

So no, all these terms like atheist and agnostic and even adeist have nothing in them I really identify with and I never use them to describe myself. Its a word other people use to describe me, and they are more than welcome to their labels.

You complain that the words tell you nothing about the person. This should at least come as no surprise to you if you dwell on it. Labeling a person by what they are not, rather than what they are (a privilege of the majority it seems) is by definition rarely going to tell you anything about them. I am, for example, aracist. This has likely told you very little about who or what I actually am however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 07:22 AM
 
13,493 posts, read 5,028,654 times
Reputation: 1368
base everything, EVERYTHING, off of a "truth" first. Understanding that we don't know everything. list 10 primary axioms a person has. Then categorize, loosely that is, if they constitute an emotional need or logical solution. That list is a seriously good predictor on how a person views/reacts to things and events round them.

For example the god thing. The observations show that "something" is far more likely than "no-nothing". And that "Omni-dude" is less likely than "no-notin". That's what the data shows. Then we can make our emotional and logical needs make sense of that. Maybe a little honesty would be good too.

The reason I have little intellectual respect for philosophers is that they don't understand the concept of "observations drives the wording". I have great respect for their writing skills when someone tells them what the observations could mean. They are very pretty writers. Some are even so cute they need hugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 09:24 PM
 
2,417 posts, read 2,435,110 times
Reputation: 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Whether they know it or not, those who do not believe in a god are atheist. Whether they know it or not, those atheists who say 'there is no God' are talking agnostic -based disbelief. For anyone to get annoyed by atheists who claim to 'know' there is no god is to get annoyed about nothing, assuming they are not simply annoyed about the god -disbelief.
In my mind, a more-clearly-phrased way of saying what you said in the boldfaced quote of yours appearing above (i.e, that "Whether they know it or not, those atheists who say 'there is no God' are talking agnostic-based disbelief") would be something like the following:
No one is an absolute atheist. Even those who say that they are, are in fact actually saying or conveying the following:
"I have no knowledge whatsoever about the existence of anything which resembles the described characteristics of what you folks call a 'god' or 'gods'. I am open to evidence (true evidence) which demonstrates the reality of what you folks call a 'god' or 'gods' . . . though I am extremely highly doubtful that you can do so and give it near-zero probability. But if you say or think that you can, in fact, provide such evidence (what I deem to be real or true evidence), then DO SO. I am open to evidence but am not open to simply embracing belief for the sake of mere belief."

Such a stance, which is the same stance that Richard Dawkins takes, is called being an "agnostic atheist".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 09:34 PM
 
39,293 posts, read 10,937,819 times
Reputation: 5105
That is the logical position of atheism per se and in fact of all atheists, whether they know it or not. An 'absolute atheist' is at best a misunderstanding of atheism - often by atheists themselves - and at worst a misrepresentation by theists in order to make atheism look untenable.

The same applies to theists. They also do not know whether there is a god or not. They are also agnostic, whether they realize it or not. But in fact a whole lot more of them do claim to "know". That is just one reason why Theism is irrational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 10:01 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
1,423 posts, read 753,526 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I love gnostic athiests .. yes sir re bob .. they know.
A question for Mr. yes sir re bob + Tired of the Nonsense.

Is 'gnostic athiest' & 'true atheist' = one and the same thang?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 10:02 PM
 
40,193 posts, read 26,820,188 times
Reputation: 6059
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
The same applies to theists. They also do not know whether there is a god or not. They are also agnostic, whether they realize it or not. But in fact a whole lot more of them do claim to "know". That is just one reason why Theism is irrational.
Now, now Arq . . . you ignore or deny the existence of personal knowledge that is not subject to scientific verification . . . and then call reliance on said experience irrational! Some of us have information not available to you that makes our certainty rational, Arq. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 10:02 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
1,423 posts, read 753,526 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That is the logical position of atheism per se and in fact of all atheists, whether they know it or not. An 'absolute atheist' is at best a misunderstanding of atheism - often by atheists themselves - and at worst a misrepresentation by theists in order to make atheism look untenable.

The same applies to theists. They also do not know whether there is a god or not. They are also agnostic, whether they realize it or not. But in fact a whole lot more of them do claim to "know". That is just one reason why Theism is irrational.
If theism is irrational then atheism is also irrational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 10:09 PM
 
2,417 posts, read 2,435,110 times
Reputation: 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That is the logical position of atheism per se and in fact of all atheists, whether they know it or not. An 'absolute atheist' is at best a misunderstanding of atheism - often by atheists themselves - and at worst a misrepresentation by theists in order to make atheism look untenable.

The same applies to theists. They also do not know whether there is a god or not. They are also agnostic, whether they realize it or not. But in fact a whole lot more of them do claim to "know". That is just one reason why Theism is irrational.

Said theists have little (if any) grasp of what constitutes "knowledge" or "knowing" versus a simple willingness to wrap "belief" around whatever concept or idea and embrace it as "true" even though you truly have no epistemological basis for saying that such concept or idea is "true" in an evidentiary sense. They don't seem to understand the premise of what constitutes "evidence" from "pseudo-evidence" or "non-evidence". They really, really, really need to take a curriculum or at least a series of courses in logic and in epistemology in a Philosophy Dept. of a good university or college to strengthen their thinking and reasoning skills. I have (though that wasn't my major, but I've taken courses in a Philosophy Dept. in "History of Western Philosophy", "Logic", "Philosophy of Science", and "Intellectual Heritage I" and "Intellectual Heritage II") and was exposed to enough critical thinking in the rest of my university-level degree pursuit and in my many readings over the decades.

Last edited by UsAll; 04-30-2015 at 10:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 10:46 PM
 
39,293 posts, read 10,937,819 times
Reputation: 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
If theism is irrational then atheism is also irrational.
Wrong. the rationalist position -scientifically validated evidence and logically sound reasoning - is the default or the preferred position for considering all claims. In respect of the god claims (or the mystical or spiritual) atheism is based on the rationalist position and is therefore rational. The god claim or related claims is not and is therefore irrational. Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top