Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:38 AM

181 posts, read 217,830 times

Advertisements

Atheism and agnosticism tell me nothing about the religious beliefs of a person other than the fact that the person does not believe in deities or is uncertain about the existence of deities. In that respect, do you identify yourself as religious atheist/agnostic or irreligious atheist/agnostic?

Religious atheists and agnostics do exist, such as non-theist Quakers (Friends), Unitarian Universalists, or Christians-in-traditional-Christian-groups-who-maintain-atheism-or-agnosticism-as-a-theological-stance (aka "Christian Atheist" or "Christian Agnostic"), whatever that means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 10:39 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,113,519 times
I've no use for organized religion, with or without a deity.

And where did you get the idea that Quakers are non-theists? They regard themselves as Christians and conduct worship services where speakers get up on the basis of receiving inspiration from god.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:54 AM

181 posts, read 217,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I've no use for organized religion, with or without a deity.

And where did you get the idea that Quakers are non-theists? They regard themselves as Christians and conduct worship services where speakers get up on the basis of receiving inspiration from god.
You used the term 'organized religion'. The alternative is 'personal religion', which may be known as 'spirituality'.

There is a subgroup of Quakers who are non-theist Quakers. Link: Nontheist Friends: Quaker atheists, agnostics, humanists, and others who practice Quakerism without supernatural beliefs

Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,867 times
I'm atheist all the way with no belief in any religion and only faithful to myself!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:09 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,198,857 times
Non-religious atheist. However, my last religious affiliation was Unitarian-Universalism, so I understand your question.

I like what UU stands for--the independent search for one's own truth, not dogma. In fact, it was partly through UU that I came to my atheism. Also, the people, at least in the D.C. area, where I converted away from Catholicism, tend to look at it more like they're a bunch of social liberals who get together and do liberal stuff and raise awareness of liberal causes like gay rights. If I lived back in Arlington, VA, where there is a strong, active, large (by UU standards) congregation, I might get involved again.

Yet, I'm not sure. I tend to have issues with organized religion in general, in terms of tax breaks and things like that, so it would be a dilemma for me.

Then again, the joke is that UU is more like disorganized religion!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:10 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,113,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDweller View Post
You used the term 'organized religion'. The alternative is 'personal religion', which may be known as 'spirituality'.

There is a subgroup of Quakers who are non-theist Quakers. Link: Nontheist Friends: Quaker atheists, agnostics, humanists, and others who practice Quakerism without supernatural beliefs
I have no use for organized religion, personal religion, nor spirituality which I do not even recognize as something distinguished from emotions.

If it is a "personal religion" and there is no deity involved, it is not a religion, it is a personal philosophy. I could hold to the belief that one should always pay one's debts immediately, and I could call that part of my personal religion, but it remains just a social concept.

Finally, if it is a personal religion, it would lose that distinction instantly the moment two or more people with the same ideas placed a label on the shared beliefs. Then it is an organized system of beliefs and an organized religion if those beliefs are about a deity.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:17 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,162,156 times
I very much identify with Humanism which is not a religion, it is a way of life and a way to view life. A philosophy I guess, as Grandstander said above. (Well said)
Most people like myself don't realise they are already a Humanist, before they find out what Humanism is.

https://humanism.org.uk/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZN8Ne1nmr4#t=78

Quote:
I was a humanist without knowing it for many years before I found the Association – when I did, it was like finding a sort of home. Here were people with a range of views that matched mine, who shared my respect for life in all its forms and who, above all, did not in any way try to bully other people to follow their beliefs.
Claire Rayner. Former President of The British Humanist Association.

Last edited by Cruithne; 03-13-2014 at 11:37 AM..

Old 03-13-2014, 01:12 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,273 times
Quote:
Atheism and agnosticism tell me nothing about the religious beliefs of a person other than the fact that the person does not believe in deities or is uncertain about the existence of deities. In that respect, do you identify yourself as religious atheist/agnostic or irreligious atheist/agnostic?

Religious atheists and agnostics do exist, such as non-theist Quakers (Friends), Unitarian Universalists, or Christians-in-traditional-Christian-groups-who-maintain-atheism-or-agnosticism-as-a-theological-stance (aka "Christian Atheist" or "Christian Agnostic"), whatever that means.
All religions have in common some appeal to or are founded on an assumption of the existence of the supernatural. Atheists, at least, hold NO beliefs in the existence of the supernatural. That is why atheism is not a religion and there is no such thing as a "religious atheist." It may be true that there are those who do not believe in the God of the Old Testament, but who DO believe in the existence of supernatural spirits, ghosts or unseen powers. These individuals are superstitious and are NOT truly atheists, however.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:13 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,682 times
Quote:

Hmm, I would have to say decidedly non-religious agnostic atheist. The concept of a religious atheist is really bizarre to me, partly because I came out of Fundamentalist Evangelical Protestant Christianity. Even within the religion, ritual, tradition, and hierarchy were downplayed. Other churches were looked down on because they were "just" social or cultural institutions. I could not embrace empty ritual as a believer, I certainly find nothing comforting or meaningful in them not that I am not a believer.

As far as the idea of a "Christian Atheist" I would qualify only in the fact that I am more familiar with certain forms of it than anything else, so I have a much greater understanding of exactly what I do not believe in reference to those doctrines. It doesn't mean that I am any closer to being a Jew, Buddhist, Muslim or whatever, I am just much more educated about certain varieties of Christianity than I am other religions.

-NoCapo

Old 03-13-2014, 03:02 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
All religions have in common some appeal to or are founded on an assumption of the existence of the supernatural. Atheists, at least, hold NO beliefs in the existence of the supernatural. That is why atheism is not a religion and there is no such thing as a "religious atheist." It may be true that there are those who do not believe in the God of the Old Testament, but who DO believe in the existence of supernatural spirits, ghosts or unseen powers. These individuals are superstitious and are NOT truly atheists, however.
A-theist = no-god = don't believe in god. Period. Don't complicate that simple fact ... that way lies madness.

Most atheists, particularly when not newly-minted and have had the full implications of their unbelief sink in, tend to be rationalist / empiricist / materialist types who reject the supernatural in all its forms. But it is possible to believe in some sort of supernatural order of things that is not populated with gods, and so long as one does not believe in gods, one is an atheist, even if not the sort of atheist most fellow atheists will resonate with and respect.

IMO it's confusing enough that the technical definition of agnosticism overlaps with atheism, without tossing the "r-bomb" into the mix. It will just make people's heads explode to no good purpose.

A-gnostic = no-knowledge = doesn't claim absolute knowledge about god. Such an absolute knowledge claim is so rare, at least literally speaking, that I think agnosticism is kind of a waste of discussion time. What theists often call agnosticism is actually just a theist with cognitive dissonance but a fear of letting go of their god illusions.

Knowledge claims should not be confused with probability assessments anyway. Agnosticism can and generally does exist along with a high degree of certainty about god's non-existence. They influence each other but are not the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism